What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sanity check price please  (Read 8344 times)

bearpeidog

Sanity check price please
« on: September 17, 2009, 06:31:24 pm »
Hello - Is $10,700 reasonable for a HotSprings Grandee (with cover/lifter) delivered and installed.  No other add-ons.   I just can't purchase it without ensuring I'm not paying too much.

Thanks for any insight into the "Super Secret" world of hot tub pricing!! :)

Hot Tub Forum

Sanity check price please
« on: September 17, 2009, 06:31:24 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: Sanity check price please
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 06:36:01 pm »
It is within reason.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:07:27 pm »
Hello - Is $10,700 reasonable for a HotSprings Grandee (with cover/lifter) delivered and installed.  No other add-ons.   I just can't purchase it without ensuring I'm not paying too much.

Thanks for any insight into the "Super Secret" world of hot tub pricing!! :)

One way to know if there is a better deal available is to haggle. When you get to the point where they literally say "no, that's as low as we can go" and you think you want the spa but still want to try to better the deal (after all, who wants to leave $ on the table) one good counter is to say "ok, I'll agree to that price if you'll include $175 store credit (or $250 or... whatever amount you want to shoot for) toward future accessories and chems".

It is generally MUCH more palatable for them to give store credit for future purchases (that you'll probably be making anyway) than it is to make the same $ sized reduction in the spa price. If they still say no or offer you some lesser store credit or price reduction then you've probably discovered their best deal.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bearpeidog

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:41:58 pm »
Thanks

Spatech t.u.o., good advice but I'm just not comfortable haggling.  It's an art form that I just don't have.

Water Boy

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:47:05 pm »
I can understand as some people are uncomfortable doing that. You can do a couple of simple things that aren't uncomfortable,and may get you a better deal. Assuming you can or are paying cash or check, you may ask say something like, "I really like your spa, and want to buy it. What would be your best deal if I paid cash?" Many times dealers will give a small discount if you pay cash as the dealer wont get charged the credit card rates. Another thing you could say is, " I really like your spa, but I also really like spa B down the road, and they are a little bit cheaper. Would you take 10k even for it?" They probably wont match that but you may get a better deal out of them as well. It doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no, and then you truly know that you are getting their best price. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 10:15:18 am »
Is it a Phase I or Phase II Grandee?  The Phase II is the latest design (new control panel, lighting, levers, etc)...the price you posted is around what we sell the Phase I's for and is, in my opinion, a fair price all the way around.  The Grandee is an absolutely wonderful spa (my wife's favorite...I still love the Envoy mostest of all!)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 10:26:37 am »
Did you ever wet test? I know you were thinking about it.  I understand how you feel about haggling. This is a great looking tub, I haven't priced many tubs in several years but I know your not getting ripped off.  I hope it goes well and you come back to tell us how it goes.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bearpeidog

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 01:04:04 pm »
No wet test as of yet.  My methodology was to first eliminated  models based on dislikes.   There are a lot of tubs out there so coming up with a short list was the first priority.

I won't be able to wet test the Grandee as they don't have it operational.   The vanguard is the next closest and now that we are in the finalist stages, plan to wet test that on Monday.   From my perspective, having the additional size of the Grandee (vs cost) makes sense as it makes more room for the kids and guests.

I also (based on feedback here) am looking at another dealer that has other brands and will do a comparison against those to ensure the HS tub is what I really want.   As an ealier post indicated, it might provide a point in which to haggle if necessary. 

bearpeidog

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 01:09:27 pm »
Is it a Phase I or Phase II Grandee?  The Phase II is the latest design (new control panel, lighting, levers, etc)...the price you posted is around what we sell the Phase I's for and is, in my opinion, a fair price all the way around.  The Grandee is an absolutely wonderful spa (my wife's favorite...I still love the Envoy mostest of all!)

Terminator

This would be a Phase II Grandee ( new control panel).  I forgot the term that was used - hotfixed or or some other term where the tub has been changed in mid production.  I know that cause I asked if there were any changes planned for next years model.  (didn't want to plunk down money only to find a model being releases in 3 months that has more features etc).   However, the dealer wasn't aware of any changes for the 2010 line and thought that with the mid-production change it was unlikely there would be major changes in 2010.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »
This would be a Phase II Grandee ( new control panel).  I forgot the term that was used - hotfixed or or some other term where the tub has been changed in mid production.  I know that cause I asked if there were any changes planned for next years model.  (didn't want to plunk down money only to find a model being releases in 3 months that has more features etc).   However, the dealer wasn't aware of any changes for the 2010 line and thought that with the mid-production change it was unlikely there would be major changes in 2010.

The Phase II with the new controls on the bar top with the extra interior lighting means its recently built and by definition costs the dealer more $ (and therefore the customer more $) so that does make it a better deal.

I still say if you're going to pull the trigger, just before you say ok you should swallow hard, smile and simply say "I'll agree if you give me $150 store credit toward future chems and accessories". There is no way they'll be put off by that (and will probably say yes). The worse they'll say is "sorry, we can't do that" which will at least tell you that you got as good a deal as they were willing to give.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 02:41:59 pm by Spatech t.u.o. »

just ducky

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 03:10:13 pm »
No wet test as of yet.  My methodology was to first eliminated  models based on dislikes.   There are a lot of tubs out there so coming up with a short list was the first priority.

I won't be able to wet test the Grandee as they don't have it operational.   The vanguard is the next closest and now that we are in the finalist stages, plan to wet test that on Monday.   From my perspective, having the additional size of the Grandee (vs cost) makes sense as it makes more room for the kids and guests.

I also (based on feedback here) am looking at another dealer that has other brands and will do a comparison against those to ensure the HS tub is what I really want.   As an ealier post indicated, it might provide a point in which to haggle if necessary. 

Now mind you, I'm a tub newbie, having only owned ours since March.  But we also looked at a Grandee, and the dealer also didn't have it operational.  A couple thoughts...first, after wet testing several different models (as many of you suggested we do...thank you!), we definitely felt the difference in the various models and features.  Having that bit of knowledge now, I would never consider buying a tub without wet testing because there really were significant differences between them and they felt completely different dry.  When we considered the Grandee, it was a couple year old floor model that they wanted to move and were giving us a good price on.  However I was gun shy because we couldn't wet test it, no matter how much I tried to get the dealer to get it operational...I understand them not wanting to do that for one person, but they also understood that I wouldn't buy without wet testing.  The second thought...we were kind of in the same mind set as you that "bigger must be better", and the Grandee certainly was bigger.  But the more we thought about it, the more it just seemed TOO big for us.  My wife was very concerned it would've looked so out of place on our patio where we now have our tub because it would've just dwarfed our furniture and adjacent deck.  And in hindsight, she was right.  The other thing was we took a real hard look at how we suspected we would use the tub, and 80% of the time it's just my wife and I, maybe 15% of the time it's us and another couple, and once in a blue moon more than 4 of us.  So even though the Grandee was a great looking tub with tons of features, it was overkill for us personally.  And now many months later, we are very happy with our decision. 

I wish you luck, but I'm taking a page from the veterans here when I was shopping....WET TEST...WET TEST...WET TEST.

bearpeidog

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 09:32:47 pm »
Thanks- we wet tested the Vanguard and determined we like the spa (especially the moto's).  Our hot tub options are fairly limited in this area.  The only other manufacturer is Artesian.  They looked nice but the dealership didn't really lend it self to wet testing (IMO).

The HS dealer we went to had a nice little private room with the hot tubs.  We didn't feel rushed or felt that any second a family was going to come in and admire us testing hot tubs :)  It was actually a very nice experience.

We made the leap and ended up ordering the Grandee due to the additional size.   While I didn't get any price concessions, I do believe I did OK.   I'm sure I could have played hardball but in the end, I'd rather just get it in before the snow flies.  While I agree it is HUGE, we felt that while having two young boys, the additional space is going to be welcome.  For them its about playing and splashing rather then sitting back and relaxing.  This way there is room for all and when they get older and develop additional friendships, it might be a cool place for em to hang with friends.

Finally, the dealer also offers a 30 day money back guarantee if I'm at all unhappy with my choice.  So, I'm confident that if the Grandee proves to be a disappoint in anyway, we can go back into the Vanguard if needed.   It's a good safety net.

Thank you for the responses.  My next thread will be about the Hot tub installation adventure, so stay tuned!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 08:21:01 am »
The additional space is welcome. But now that we are empty nesters, we have  a huge tub with just the 2 of us 90% of the time.  When we buy again, I will probably do a little smaller and still have plenty of room.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

just ducky

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 07:01:33 pm »
Thanks- we wet tested the Vanguard and determined we like the spa (especially the moto's).  Our hot tub options are fairly limited in this area.  The only other manufacturer is Artesian.  They looked nice but the dealership didn't really lend it self to wet testing (IMO).

The HS dealer we went to had a nice little private room with the hot tubs.  We didn't feel rushed or felt that any second a family was going to come in and admire us testing hot tubs :)  It was actually a very nice experience.

We made the leap and ended up ordering the Grandee due to the additional size.   While I didn't get any price concessions, I do believe I did OK.   I'm sure I could have played hardball but in the end, I'd rather just get it in before the snow flies.  While I agree it is HUGE, we felt that while having two young boys, the additional space is going to be welcome.  For them its about playing and splashing rather then sitting back and relaxing.  This way there is room for all and when they get older and develop additional friendships, it might be a cool place for em to hang with friends.

Finally, the dealer also offers a 30 day money back guarantee if I'm at all unhappy with my choice.  So, I'm confident that if the Grandee proves to be a disappoint in anyway, we can go back into the Vanguard if needed.   It's a good safety net.

Thank you for the responses.  My next thread will be about the Hot tub installation adventure, so stay tuned!

Sounds like you've thought it through well.  And yes, with two small kids, it's likely the additional space will come in handy.  The Grandee we looked at was wonderful, but we decided against it for reasons I already described.  I'm guessing you'll love it.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 11:08:37 am »

Sounds like you've thought it through well.  And yes, with two small kids, it's likely the additional space will come in handy. 

Ditto. When we got our first spa our 3 boys were 4, 6, 8. They treated it like a small pool never sitting in one place for more than 5 seconds. I doubt you'll regret going with a bigger model!

Congrats!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 11:08:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42