What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2.0 HP Watkins Motor....  (Read 2603 times)

Im-A-Duck

2.0 HP Watkins Motor....
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:32:38 am »
OK. I have a Caldera Martinique. I moved 1 year and 4 months ago. That is how ling my hot tub has been sitting without being hooked up. I hooked it up today and when I first turned it on, I accidently pressed the button to turn on pump #1 and it worked but I turned it off immediatley to let it prime. Now it will not turn on. I can here the "click" and hum, but it will not circulate fluid. I opened up the bleeder valve to release any air but that didn't work. The motor is really hot so I am going to let it sit for an hour or so and try it again. It still seems to be hot after 30 minutes of sitting...strange... I have a friend that is a electrician and he looked at everything and everything is hooked up correctly. You can turn the motor by hand and it is not locked up. My electrician freind told me I can bring the motor to a place and have it re-worked. Or should I buy a new one. How much would a new 2.0 HP motor cost vs. fixing it?

Does anyone have any input or tips???

Any help would be appreciated

Hot Tub Forum

2.0 HP Watkins Motor....
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:32:38 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: 2.0 HP Watkins Motor....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:07:42 pm »
It may have been running on low speed the whole time - it is a very quiet pump/motor combo when it's on low. I would shut off power for at least four or five hours to let the thing cool down. It can take that long.

Then turn on the power and see if it runs. On some Caldera spas you have to use the bleed valve for one pump and open the pump union for the other pump. That is usually just after shipping, or letting it set empty for extended times.

HTH
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:05:10 pm »
How old is it?

Those motors run hot anyway so you can't judge by that....If your hearing a click more than likely all the electronics are working but the low speed switch on the motor is bad. I've also seen wires come off on the back of the pump inside the end cap.

Im-A-Duck

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:16:35 pm »
Yep, I'm hearing a click then a hum and then it shuts itself off. I talked to Watkins about it and they are going to take care of it. To make a long story short, I purchased the tub 3 hrs from where I live because there is no Caldera dealer in my town, before purchasing it I called Watkins and they assured me that if I had problems they would hire a third party if needed to do the warranty work. It's been a little hectic for me but they are getting it done. A local Hot Springs dealer is going to work on it. I initially went in and talked to the HS dealer and they told me that Watkins told them in the past that they could not work on Caldera's. So when the Watkins rep. I talked to said that she was going to call this dealer I was a little worried...But hey, they pulled through. Good thing because I am looking to spend $45,000 + on a pool in the next year or so and that's who I was expecting to use.
For those questioning why I purchased my hot tub from someone out of town... As a man I wanted the biggest hot tub with 3000 jets. My wife quickly squashed that plan. We went and wet tested the D-1 and Jacuzzi but she was drowning in those tubs. Thanks to the help of this site, someone recommended the Caldera Martinique, well that was a great fit for what we needed. There were no dealers around here, there was a dealer 3 hrs away from me and when I called he said that they were closing the doors of his Caldera store and just selling HS, so he would make me a good deal. I purchased the Hot tub for $4,300, steps, cover, and starter kit. But I had to go pick it up and hook it up myself. Wasn't that big of a deal, I poured the concrete myself and a good friend of mine is a electrician, he hooked it up.

Sorry, this was supposed to be the short story..... Later,
Duck

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:01:59 pm »
Yo, Duck:

Glad it worked out.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:01:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42