What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need a New Cover...any suggestions  (Read 5526 times)

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
Need a New Cover...any suggestions
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:19:44 pm »
Since I now need a crane to pick up my cover....it's only 2 1/2 years old....I guess I need a new one.  The one I have is a Caldea, that came with the tub.

Any suggestions to replacing this waterlogged pig?

Hot Tub Forum

Need a New Cover...any suggestions
« on: August 06, 2009, 02:19:44 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Need a New Cover...any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:53:57 am »
Do you have a lift? If so you may need to buy a factory replacement. The Watkins covers are actually pretty good and your dealer can add your new cover to a spa order to save shipping costs.

But I think you should look into what caused your cover to go. Sometimes they just do. But most of the time you can trace the problem to operator error:

adding chlorine and not leaving the cover open to breathe for fifteen minutes,
using a floating feeder with trichlor tabs,
using a floating feeder with bromine tabs, or
ozone system putting out heavy amounts without the cover being opened regularly.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:29:27 pm »
Hmmmm
adding spa 56 and then shutting the top as I leave......  will let it go 15 minutes from now on.

What about on line dealers.  http://www.spacoverbuydirect.com/
this place has a great site.  They explain it well, the price seems reasonable. 

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 05:50:33 pm »
They're mesh bottom will much more easily allow chemicals in the water to degrade in seal over the foam.

I can't find the specs on the vinyl they use, which leads me to believe it's substandard.

They don't list the gauge of the C-Channel reinforcement they use...again, leads me to believe it's substandard.

5 yeah warranty? Full? Limited? Prorated? They don't have a copy of it on their site...that I can find. Again, leads me to believe it's substandard....oops, found it. "Warranty defects do not include: moisture retention due to natural absorption of condensation". This is also substandard

"made from the best and strongest materials"... I doubt it. Ours are in fact made from the BEST materials, and we have no problems disclosing the exact specifications in plain view.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 05:53:41 pm by Dr. Spa™ »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 10:32:26 am »
Check out Doc's cover's. http://www.rhtubs.com/store/insulate.htm

They seem to have a good price and a few people have bought one from him and like it.

I do plan on getting one from him when the time comes.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:48:21 am »
Check out Doc's cover's. http://www.rhtubs.com/store/insulate.htm

They seem to have a good price and a few people have bought one from him and like it.

I do plan on getting one from him when the time comes.

Mine is only a year old, but I'm still happy with it, I'm hoping it last longer than the last one  I really like the cover butler lifter we bought with it.  Its as easy to use as any non-assisted ones I have tried.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:20:25 am »

5 yeah warranty? Full? Limited? Prorated? They don't have a copy of it on their site...that I can find. Again, leads me to believe it's substandard....oops, found it. "Warranty defects do not include: moisture retention due to natural absorption of condensation". This is also substandard

I will try to keep this civil, again I have no dog in this race and am just looking for information.  On the warranty issue, Doc says that it's substantial.  I will tell you that warranty would really be great...if they actually are usable.

I am learning there are a ton of issues with these covers.

All of the warrantys I have read so far have more outs then an insurance plan.

Doc's is no different in the complexities,.  I am not saying it's any better or worse....just as complex.  It also seems most of them have the customer sending back the unit at their expense.  ie Doc's:

"Purchaser is responsible for the return of the insulating cover and all shipping charges, to and from the manufacturer."

These things are heavy and Huge!  I would expect it might cost upwards of 70-80 dollars for a consumer to ship it just one way.    With that said.  These things seem to be $300-$400. I am starting to think it may not be worth trying to use a warranty that will cost me $200+ for packaging and shipping.  Are these items better bought at the local shop?

Thanks for the input

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 01:37:16 pm »
I think any time you deal with an item that isn't store bought you run the risk of "issues". Even store bought things can have issues, I have heard some retailers have restocking fees if they chose to activate them.

Going to your local store (assuming it's your dealer) will give you close to the same cover that you have now. He is either selling the brand that comes from the factory or one from an aftermarket manufacturer.

Warranties probably are handled differently from merchant to merchant as well. If you had good dealings with your dealer - he probably will be OK to deal with warranty issues.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 11:02:03 am »

These things are heavy and Huge!  I would expect it might cost upwards of 70-80 dollars for a consumer to ship it just one way.    With that said.  These things seem to be $300-$400. I am starting to think it may not be worth trying to use a warranty that will cost me $200+ for packaging and shipping.  Are these items better bought at the local shop?

The cost to most consumers to ship a cover back, would be WAY more than that. With that said however, the few warranty issues we've had, we've NEVER asked for a cover to be shipped back. Always we've been able to work things out with just pictures and phone calls. Pretty much most reputable companies do the same. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being told to return their cover to be evaluated for a warranty claim.

Buying at the "local shop" can limit your options. Frequently you're only choice is a cover from the manufacturer of the brand(s) the shop owner carried (and I can tell you from vast experience OEM covers are frequently [not always] some of the poorest quality covers there are), a cover from the closest cover manufacturer to the "local shop" (reduces shipping costs...not necessarily a bad thing [cover quality] at all, but limiting in options), or is a higher price than something comparable (had a dealer near me that got $460 for a cover....they bought their covers from me :-), which we retailed for $319)

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:40:11 am »
Hey Doc:
If someone has a HotSpring or Caldera (both of which I believe have the metal lift points build in to the covers), can your outfit provide replacement covers that will bolt up to the old lift mechanisms?

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 12:03:34 pm »
No problem, you just need to specify you want the Hot Spring brackets. Not an option we offer online though, you'd need to call to place the order (actually, we do have one obscure website, I've been "playing" with for a while, that has it as an option). I think it's a $15 option.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 12:19:03 pm »
For what it is worth, I'm comfortable with what Doc said regarding warranty issues.  I will add to anyone looking at ordering a cover online, don't be intimidated by the measuring process. I found it easy to walk through with the given instructions and it turned out great.

Years ago I did buy a telescope from the leading US manufacturer of that type and had it mailed to me.  Great scope, but their  customer service is worse than non-existent.  I wouldn't buy from Meade again for that reason.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 01:47:28 pm »
I would agree with Doc that most reputable online resellers don't hold your feet to the fire on returning the cover for inspection.  Just keep in mind though that you need to make sure you're buying from a reputable outfit.  Ever wonder why there are some guys out there offering 10 year warranties when you know the average life of a cover is 4-7 years?

My personal opinion is that you shouldn't let warranty be your most deciding factor because you will probably end up going with an outfit that is overpromising and will not honor what you perceive that warranty to be.  Keep in mind that most spa covers are the same given the same spec, so shop based upon spec, price and how you feel about the company.  I know one online retailer that never answers the phone... ever.  I wouldn't want to buy from that guy.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 04:06:09 pm »
[[/quote]

The cost to most consumers to ship a cover back, would be WAY more than that. With that said however, the few warranty issues we've had, we've NEVER asked for a cover to be shipped back. Always we've been able to work things out with just pictures and phone calls. Pretty much most reputable companies do the same. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being told to return their cover to be evaluated for a warranty claim.

[/quote]

Doc- my earlier quote for shipping back to the dealer was from your site.  I agree that pictures would do the trick, then why the tern and condition in the warranty.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 06:26:59 pm »
Where on my website?

While you want to be protected from a defective product, I want to be protected from fraudulent warranty claims.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:35:20 pm by Dr. Spa™ »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 06:26:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42