What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: SERIOUS potential spam issue  (Read 3783 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
SERIOUS potential spam issue
« on: August 01, 2009, 12:55:56 pm »
If you look under someones avatar in a post, there's a picture of a little envelope, that if you click on, it emails them. MY EMAIL IS VISIBLE on every one of my posts. I don't like this, it's a potential MAJOR spam issue (I've changed my email since realizing this). This is SUPPOSED to be a way you can opt out of... by going to - Profile > Account related settings, and CHECKING the box Hide email address from public...but it DOESN'T hide the email addy
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

SERIOUS potential spam issue
« on: August 01, 2009, 12:55:56 pm »

Forum Admin

• YaBB Administrator
Re: SERIOUS potential spam issue
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:47:25 am »
It was a "permissions" issue.  It should be fixed.  Let me know.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:37:18 am »
Nope, not fixed. See the little envelope icon still under my avatar? And "Hide email address from public" is checked.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Forum Admin

• YaBB Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 07:34:09 pm »
Interesting.  The email is actually hidden from the pubic.  If you log out of the site and view your profile from a guest status you will not see the email icon.

I will look into the hidden email options tomorrow.

tester

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:16:37 am »
Using this test account I can see what things are like being a "newbie".  Good news is that I cannot see your email.  So guests and newbies cannot see it.  I think we are just fine here.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:47:19 am »
Using this test account I can see what things are like being a "newbie".  Good news is that I cannot see your email.  So guests and newbies cannot see it.  I think we are just fine here.

As my regular account, I can not see it from the message menu. If I click on the email button, it opens an outgoing message with the address filled out.  This should be ok, most email stealing robots will not see it that way.  Doc has his email address changed.  It is a valid concern, having email addresses listed on websites in the clear is a prime source for getting on spam lists.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:47:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42