What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Tub Owner--need help with Bromine  (Read 5663 times)

MoRTiS

New Tub Owner--need help with Bromine
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:55 pm »
Hi all i recently put in a new hot tub, after owning a pool for the last 5 years i figured it shouldn't be much harder.

Since the tub was filled last week i put in all the needed chemicals to get PH, Alkalinity and hardness in range (as well as a few other things the hot tub sales people told me to put in) .  I then filled the bromine floater and threw it in.  I probably should also mention that my tub has a UV light sanitizer as well.  Since last week i have had to use an Oxygen based shock 3 times as the bromine on the test strips indicates 0 ppm.  I bought bromine granules and added that to the skimmer basket and finally, the test strips indicated 1.5 ppm for about a day and then there was no more bromine since.  I am becoming confused as  i thought that with a UV sanitizer i would be fighting to keep bromine levels down and the opposite has occured.  Some people have told me that if bromine is too high it will not register on a test strip, is this true?

Hot tub specs:  
400 US Gallon (~1500L)
3/4 Hp continuous circulation pump
4.5 HP jet pump
4.4Kw heater
UV light sanitizer (inline with continuous circulation pump)

dont know if the specs help but any help is appreciated WRT bromine levels

Hot Tub Forum

New Tub Owner--need help with Bromine
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:01:55 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: New Tub Owner--need help with Bromine
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:19:14 am »
You have to have a bank of Bromide in the water to get started. Did you add a package (or two) of some sort of startup? Something like -

Which also comes in 2 oz packs like this:

Now, let me mention a down side to using bromine tabs in a floating feeder. Read the label - they have a high percentage of chlorine in them. That chlorine off-gasses constantly and eats the vapor barrier inside your cover. That, in turn, allows the cover to absorb water and get amazingly heavy and generally useless. That chlorine gas is also tough on pillows if your spa has any, and your lungs unless your tub is in a wind tunnel.

I recommend "Brilliance" to my customers who want to use Bromine. It does not have the built-in chlorine. Instead, you have to shock with MPS once per week - but you can do that with the cover safely open and out of the way, and the MPS does it's thing and goes away in minutes so you can climb right in. Some people shock once per week anyway. It seems to cost about the same, works in a feeder, gives good results and comes in these very fashionable orange bottles.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

MoRTiS

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 11:29:59 am »
Thanks for the info.  As of this morning my tub is smelling like mildew.  My startup didn't include anything to initially establish a bromine level, and you were absolutely correct the label on the bromine says it is 30% chlorine.   I will go out today looking for something like "Reserve" and try to re-establish the tub properly.  I used a double dose of the oxygen based shock that i was provided with when i bought the tub and i will go from there.  Unless it is recommended that i drain and restart altogether (due to the mildew smell).

canecreek

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:29:34 am »
Well this is really helpful to know, I have one of those floaters and it's keeping the bromine up but I do smell the chlorine.  I'll look for Brilliance.  :P

While we're on the subject of Bromine, can I get a really light, superficial, shallow, inadequate chemistry lesson?
E.g.; "MPS" is tossed around on here but I can't find it defined in the forum. What does that initialization mean?  I have run across a couple different chemicals that say they're non-chlorine shock. What's the difference? I'm reading that MPS is aka potassium peroxymonosulfate, and is differentiated from sodium persulfate in that MPS reactivates bromine.  Why do I care? I have a continuous feed of... d'oh!.    

Do I understand correctly that either of these are used by some folks as a post-bath treatment, and/or once per weekish?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the noob questions, am sure it gets tiresome.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:50:06 am by canecreek »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 09:52:18 am »
"MPS" is tossed around on here but I can't find it defined in the forum. What does that initialization mean?  I have run across a couple different chemicals that say they're non-chlorine shock. What's the difference? I'm reading that MPS is aka potassium peroxymonosulfate, and is differentiated from sodium persulfate in that MPS reactivates bromine.  Why do I care?

Potassium peroxymonosulfate should have been called PMS but that was already taken. I like MPS the best - it does indeed reactivate bromine. Keep in mind that oxidizers are NOT sanitizers. They make it easier for santizers to work, but cannot be counted on alone to keep water safe.

8-)

MoRTiS

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:30:40 pm »
More Trouble... I finally have the bromine levels where they belong, after alot of reserve addition.  i had to do 2 applications of reserve as the bromine was eaten up pretty quickly.  the tub has now gone very cloudy, almost milky.  should i just drain and restart or will filtration eventually work? I have been running my main jet pump continuously for the last 12 hours to try and increase the rate of filtration but im not getting very far.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 06:08:05 pm »
Shut everything down for one hour. Then look. You should have nice clear water. I am guessing you have air entrained in the water - a normal thing with a high bromine level. Let it sit completely undisturbed for an hour and the air will rise to the surface.

8-)

benalexe

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:05:56 pm »
Why not just use dichlor it is so easy?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:05:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42