What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: on-line source for chemicals  (Read 10932 times)

just ducky

on-line source for chemicals
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:18:47 am »
Looking for a good on-line source for basic tub chemicals (Dichlor, shock, etc.).  I've looked at a couple sites, but I'm wondering if there's a preferred on-line source?  Although I like to give local dealers my business wherever possible, I'm finding they're quite high for basic chemicals...in some cases as much as twice the costs that I've seen listed on-line.  Any advice?

Hot Tub Forum

on-line source for chemicals
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:18:47 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: on-line source for chemicals
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 08:41:56 pm »
Here's wherte I buy my stuff!

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/directory.htm

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 09:54:40 am »
Watch out for shipping costs! Some of the sites do have low prices but they charge a lot for shipping and handling.

I think that's why so many people here like Rhtubs - shipping is free over a minimum purchase of $60.  If your purchase is under that amount they only add about $6 or so.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Jrstang

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:33:58 pm »
Try a all natural approach, no more chlorine or bromine, no harsh smells and dry skin. The Clear Choice is available form Atera AnyTemp Spas and works without the use of any chemicals at all. We use it in our Atera AnyTemp Spa here in AZ, It works amazingly well.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 02:25:09 pm »
Watch out for shipping costs! Some of the sites do have low prices but they charge a lot for shipping and handling.

I think that's why so many people here like Rhtubs - shipping is free over a minimum purchase of $60.  If your purchase is under that amount they only add about $6 or so.

8-)

Very good point. I was looking for a filter for my fridge and saw all kinds of games played with companies seemingly giving good prices but gouging on shipping to make up for it.  
220, 221, whatever it takes!

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:40:20 pm »
I like spadepot.com for dichlor, 5lbs shipped for $33.94.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 09:24:49 am »
Everyone has to do what is financially best for them, especially now..but I always go to my dealer. He has decent prices and I am sure he needs the business. I have to support the folks that support me... ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 09:12:23 pm »
Everyone has to do what is financially best for them, especially now..but I always go to my dealer. He has decent prices and I am sure he needs the business. I have to support the folks that support me... ;)

I agree 100%, but with that said my dealer is expensive for chems so I buy from Doc. Back in 2005 she was getting over $20 for a 2 lb canister of enhanced shock, that's what she recommended for disinfection. I can get a 5 lb tub of dichlor from Doc for $30.00. I did go to a "local" dealer when I was in Lewes, Delaware recently during a business trip and they charged $9 for 1 lb of Dichlor - I needed dichlor but it was expensive.

I did buy my replacement filters from her though and some filter cleaner too.

knightcap

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 09:50:30 pm »
I'd watch out for rhtubs.com right now.  I ordered some 303 cover protectant a little while ago.  It took over 4 weeks to get, with zero communication during that time.  I called them, and they finally shipped it.  Had I not called after a month, I would have never seen it.  Just recently, I ordered some diclor and a couple other items.  Again, over 3 weeks have passed.  I called after 2-3 weeks, someone said they would ship it.  Another week passed, no item, no emails, so I emailed them.  They again said they would ship it, but I still don't have it.  So two orders in a row, one over 4 weeks, and one is over 3 weeks and still waiting.

I'll be shopping somewhere else from now on, there sounds like some type of major problem going on at rhtubs right now.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 09:45:28 am »
Sorry to hear about your experiences with them, but I can tell you that's their normal MO.  They are usually pretty good at getting stuff out.  Doc runs a great operation.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 06:18:16 pm »
Could you PM me your real name so I can look into this please.

I'd watch out for rhtubs.com right now.  I ordered some 303 cover protectant a little while ago.  It took over 4 weeks to get, with zero communication during that time.  I called them, and they finally shipped it.  Had I not called after a month, I would have never seen it.  Just recently, I ordered some diclor and a couple other items.  Again, over 3 weeks have passed.  I called after 2-3 weeks, someone said they would ship it.  Another week passed, no item, no emails, so I emailed them.  They again said they would ship it, but I still don't have it.  So two orders in a row, one over 4 weeks, and one is over 3 weeks and still waiting.

I'll be shopping somewhere else from now on, there sounds like some type of major problem going on at rhtubs right now.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

just ducky

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 09:15:20 am »
Since I originally posted this question, I have found a couple of on-line sources that have treated me very well so far.  I won't post the sources simply because I don't want to promote any business over another, but if anyone is curious, PM me.

Understand that I am completely behind buying locally to support our local businesses.  Especially here in Michigan where our economy is in the tank.  And I'll gladly spend a bit more if I can get it locally and avoid shipping fees.  But by buying on-line I have saved a lot...I'm talking 40-50%, which is signifcant enough that my local dealers lose out...sorry.  For example, a typical 2.5 lb bottle of LT spa down costs me less than half of what local dealers sell it for. 

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 12:20:13 pm »
Like I said, you have to do what works best for you. I am just fearful that if my dealer goes under I will have a real difficult time getting service for my tub.  :-\ Besides I enjoy talking to the folks down there and checking out the new Marquis and Caldera tubs that he has in the showroom...satisfies my curiosity I guess  :)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 08:34:27 pm »
Mr knightcap (real name withheld to protect the innocent).

I truly do apologize. I've been working on your issues most of today, and a good part of yesterday. We ship thousands of orders every month, and for the very vast majority of them, there's no issues at all. Very occasionally  a problem, even two, may come up. You though, appear to be the worst text book case of Murphys Law I've seen. The 303, I could barely investigate due to the age of the order (no one really remembered what happened...or more likely, no one wanted to admit to anything ;-). The second order, was Murphys Law head on into a brick wall. Regardless, and without going into some huge explanation, thank you. Had you not brought this to my attention it's unlikely I would have spent the time searching out a way to reduce the likelihood or prevent something like this from happening. One, maybe two issues a month, that delayed an order for a few days just never seemed serious enough to justify the work and expense of trying to find a solution. Your issues on the other hand??? ::) With a little luck, we'll have a new computer program up and running by the time we open tomorrow that should vastly improve internal order tracking, and probably more importantly, make more people more accountable should something even begin to go "wrong" (it's amazing how accountability improves performance  ;D )

Again, I sincerely apologize for all the delays. The good news is, according to UPS, your order should arrive tomorrow. If they get it to you, and without damage, I think it safe to say Murphy has moved on to someone else (gawd I hope so).

Oh, I'm almost afraid to ask.......how's the cover you ordered with the 303
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

bahiafan

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 07:54:19 am »
I mix it up.  Some stuff I get online, some stuff at my dealer (only 2 miles away).  I get my filters from the dealer only.  If the product is a huge savings online, then online it is.  If it's only a buck or 2 difference, the dealer is my choice.

As bonniebell says, we'd be in trouble without local dealers and patronizing them is a good thing whenever possible. 

Dave 
Proud Bahia owners since 2006!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 07:54:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42