What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to sell used hot tub??  (Read 27654 times)

kading

How to sell used hot tub??
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:14:02 am »
Hey Spa Professionals....

I am wanting to sell my hot tub.....how should I put a value on it....??
Artesian "Island 38_SS" Package, Antigua 38 2005, Island Pearl Luster.  It is installed inside, so it is in excellent condition....nothing wrong other than...it doesn't get used enough.  Any advice would be wonderful....thanks!!!!  Robin :)

Hot Tub Forum

How to sell used hot tub??
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:14:02 am »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Re: How to sell used hot tub??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:32:26 am »
Robin....

I am not a professsional....but if I were you I would study "the used market" for a few weeks by looking at CraigsList.com in your particular city.....compare the tub you will be selling and the tubs others are attempting to sell and get a feel for pricing.....of course throw out the super expensives and the super cheaps and arrive at a fair market value for your tub. Also call the dealer you purchased from as well as a few other dealers and see what they will offer. Even-though your tub is in excellent condition if you decide to sell it on CraigsList I would still put in the ad "sold as is" / "all sales are final"...because you never know what can happen in the moving of a hot tub. Good luck.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:46:47 am »
Don't take a check.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:29:18 am »
Hey Spa Professionals....

I am wanting to sell my hot tub.....how should I put a value on it....??
Artesian "Island 38_SS" Package, Antigua 38 2005, Island Pearl Luster.  It is installed inside, so it is in excellent condition....nothing wrong other than...it doesn't get used enough.  Any advice would be wonderful....thanks!!!!  Robin :)

I also am not a professional but I sometimes play one on the internet :)
Take the price you paid for your tub and cut it in half.  It doesn't matter if you only bought it a year ago or if it's 5 years old, it's only worth 50% its retail value in USED condition.  For every year over 5, further reduce the asking price by another 10% of it's original value.  Yep, after 10 years pretty much any tub will qualify as "scrap" and sell for between "haul it off and it's yours" or up to $1,000 (MAX).

There are a lot of reasons for these values that don't need to be detailed here (as they are listed in other posts in this forum).  Almost no manufacturer will warrant a re-sold tub and most dealers only offer something like a 30 day repair warranty (no returns).

One thing that may actually "complicate" things in your case is the inside location.  Extracting it from that position might be difficult for any buyer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:11:55 am by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:37:59 am »
Nice formula....though, I would tend to think that being indoors it might be worth a little more as it shouldn't have any of the weathering an outdoor spa would have.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

kading

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:47:14 am »
Good Morning....thanks for replying and giving advice...greatly appreciated.  It may be me paying someone to take it, since it's not going to be the easiest object to move!!!!  
Ughhhhh!!!!!  Oh well...$$$, easy come..easy go...or something like that...have a great day......... :)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:38:53 am »
"It doesn't matter if you only bought it a year ago ......
it's only worth 50% its retail value in USED condition"
[/b]

W0W!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 12:06:18 pm »
Nice formula....though, I would tend to think that being indoors it might be worth a little more as it shouldn't have any of the weathering an outdoor spa would have.

That is what I am thinking.  You might want to call a few places and see what it would cost to move it, jack up the price that much, and then sell it, "Moving included"
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 12:13:52 pm »

That is what I am thinking.  You might want to call a few places and see what it would cost to move it, jack up the price that much, and then sell it, "Moving included"

Many people who buy used are willing to move it themselves but you want to appeal to everyone. I'd price it like "$xxxx including delivery within 20 miles, $400 less if you move it yourself."

I'd bet MANY would be motivated to save the additional $400 but you'd also be accommodating those who can't.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 12:13:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42