What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: high iron  (Read 6669 times)

dellongofence

high iron
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:32:37 am »
Please help newbee was just told i have a high iron in water what should i do.  :'( dellongofence

Hot Tub Forum

high iron
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:32:37 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: high iron
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:55:52 am »

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:25:20 pm »
You need something that takes the iron out...and be sure to use it BEFORE you add your chlorine based chemicals. So it would be a metal sequestering agent. I also have one set of filters that I use when I do a water change because they tend to get stained from the iron. This really isn't a big problem, and you can surely fix it.

Chas, do you remember the gal that got the Hot Springs tub and filled it with water that looked like ice tea? The water cleared beautifully in just a few hours..I wish I could find those pictures....By the way, I can't read that bottle, so maybe you can write the name of the product that you are recommending...Thanks ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

dellongofence

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:27:40 pm »
Thank you i also need to know do i have to drain hot tub first before i do this. thank you dellongofence

Pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 03:28:58 pm »
A metal sequestering product is great good but whats the TDS level from that water sample. Usually water like that is going to be around 2500-3000. I suggest a water truck to fill as its going to be less of a hassle to balance.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 04:48:58 pm »
but trucking in new water every 3-4 months would really be expensive.  Dellongo, I am guessing that you have well water and probably have a softening system that removes the iron from your domestic water supply...is that right?

So you have filled your tub and see that there is orange colored water? Or have you filled your tub and added the sanitizer...and notice that your once clear water is tinted orange? I guess I am trying to establish if you have a real bad problem with iron or if it's something that you can fix with a product like Chas suggested..I think it is Metal Gone..I really can't read the bottle.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

dellongofence

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 04:58:38 pm »
No hot tub is clear but me and my husband heard a grinding noise called place where we bought hot tub from they sent a guy out and he said that just by looking at the water and filter that we had a high iron problem. he took a water sample and said someone will call me and tell me what to do no call yet.thanks you guys are great i use alot of info i get and has never let me down. :) This hot tub is not even one year old it's a sundance cameo.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:15:50 pm by dellongofence »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 06:09:17 pm »
My water is also high in iron.  I use Leisure Time Metal Gon.  Add it when you fill the spa after draining.  It sequesters the metals vs removing them and works real well.

dellongofence

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:59:04 pm »
My water is also high in iron.  I use Leisure Time Metal Gon.  Add it when you fill the spa after draining.  It sequesters the metals vs removing them and works real well.

Ok thank you i'll try it . :)

just ducky

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 09:03:28 am »

Same here...we have well water that is hard.  When we bought our new tub a month ago, the dealer asked us about our water.  And so our "chem kit" that was included with the tub had that exact bottle..."Metal Gon", and we put the entire bottle in right after filling the tub, and before we added anything else.  Worked like a charm!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:44:49 am »
One of the pre filters when filling the tub would also help remove some of the iron before it even enters the tub
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Nitro

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 10:55:26 pm »
If you have a water softener, fill the tub with the water coming it. It will remove the iron. However, it will also remove calcium, so you'll need to add some.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 10:55:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42