What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: home chemicals  (Read 7424 times)

kokanee001

home chemicals
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:22:46 pm »
I have always bought all of my hot tub chemicals from my dealer (who is a great person; one I like to support). However, I've "heard" that some of the basic things most of us have in our homes can take the place of spa-store bought chems. Like the baking soda which I have in the cupboard.......is it really the same as alkalinity increaser? And my laundry area has a box of 20 Mule Team borax, which apparently can take the place of pH up. There may even be more I haven't heard of.

Can any of you who are knowledgeable about spa chems shed any light on this? If it's true, then I could save myself some coin by using products for my hot tub which I'm already using in my home for other things like baking and laundry.                      

Don't get me wrong.........I don't cross shop for my chems at Walmart or Home Depot to save a few pennies; I'd rather give my business to my spa dealer. But if I'm buying chems specifically for my hot tub when I don't really need to do that, I'd like to know.

Hot Tub Forum

home chemicals
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:22:46 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: home chemicals
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 12:42:51 pm »
Yes on the baking soda.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

chem geek

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 01:25:47 pm »
Alkalinity Up -- sodium bicarbonate same as Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
pH Up -- usually sodium carbonate the same as Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (CAREFUL: NOT the laundry detergent)
Alternate pH Up -- 20 Mule Team Borax
Calcium Hardness Increaser -- calcium chloride as in Dowflake or Peladow

The 20 Mule Team Borax will raise the pH with half the amount of rise in TA.  It does not add carbonates to the water.  If you want to raise your pH and your TA substantially, then Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda will do that and technically is identical to adding a combination of Baking Soda and Lye.

Richard
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:26:14 pm by chem_geek »

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 01:34:00 pm »
The Borax will also make your water feel softer and make your skin feel better when you get out.  We used to put in 50 lb bags of borax for pool customers who complained of eye irritation.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

kokanee001

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:57:05 pm »
Thanx for the replies. Chem geek........do you mean the pH goes up half as much as the TA, or the TA goes up half as much as the pH?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 03:55:04 pm »
Don't forget bleach for chlorine. But use dichlor first until you get about 20 - 30 PPM stabilizer.

Funny thing about baking soda and borax - I do use both in the pool but I only use baking soda in the spa - both PH and alkalinity go up as I add baking soda. I've only used the 20 mule team borax.

I do buy calcium chloride for pools for rasing the hardness but I wait for it to go on sale and a 10 lb bucket lasts forever for a spa.

I have used vinegar in a pinch for bringing PH down but again buying pool quantity of PH down lasts forever and I have used hydrogen peroxide to knock down chlorine levels.

When I first bought my tub, I was planning to buy from my dealer but her chemical prices are too expensive. A 2 lb bottle of combination chlorine and MPS was $26.00 4 years ago. I can buy a 5 lb bottle of dichlor from Doc for $30.00; actually I buy all of my spa supplies from Doc. I also shop Walmart, Leslies and other internet retailers when it comes time for pool supplies. I do feel bad but I also need my money to stretch as far as it can, maybe if that 2 lb bottle she sold was $15 it would be a different story.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 03:55:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42