What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used Jacuzzi J-370  (Read 11597 times)

tpdtopcop

Used Jacuzzi J-370
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »
I am looking into getting a Hot Tub there is a Jacuzzi J-370 for sale on for $1000.00  2002 Jacuzzi J-370, extra deep hot tub, water Capacity 505 Gallons, 34-Power Jets, Lounger, Stero-CD Player, Waterfall and Color lights, Ozoneator. New pumps, tub is in great condition with new cover, steps and towel rack included. My ? is this a good deal? What should I look for? I used to have a hot springs soveriegn and would like to know the if it is on par with keep the heat in(insulation wise)?

Thanks for any and all input.

Hot Tub Forum

Used Jacuzzi J-370
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Used Jacuzzi J-370
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 04:17:54 pm »
 1000 bucks for that would be a good deal, is it running and have you seen it?  Sounds like the guy took decent care of it?    Insulation wise its fine ans comparable to the HS.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:22:08 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Micah

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 05:51:53 pm »
If you don't want it, please pass on the info cuz I'm sure someone else here will jump on that Jacuzzi.  Sounds like a pretty good deal!
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:52:25 pm »
If it is working and you have seen it working I would agree it is a good deal.

We have sold both Hot Spring and Jacuzzi, and while the Jacuzzi is well insulated, it is a bigger tub, and you will find you pay a little more for the power.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

tpdtopcop

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:23:16 am »

We have sold both Hot Spring and Jacuzzi, and while the Jacuzzi is well insulated, it is a bigger tub, and you will find you pay a little more for the power.
thanks for the reply.

tpdtopcop

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:27:13 am »
1000 bucks for that would be a good deal, is it running and have you seen it?  Sounds like the guy took decent care of it?    Insulation wise its fine ans comparable to the HS.
The guy states he didnt use it last winter but they winterized it, and it is not filled or running know. My questions is how do you know now if once you get it home and fill it if its gonna work and not leak? Also how do you know if someone properly winterizes it? So I am on the fence here.

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:57:44 am »
Well, it could be a sweet deal or it could be a paper-weight. ::)
I think most people avoid this uncertainty by actually seeing the tub run before money changes hands. ;)
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:13:00 pm »

I own a 2003 and I personally think the comment on efficiency is BULL.  The insulation on the 370's is "full foam" and it's a quality product pretty much on par with every other mfg in regards to insulation.  My J370 only cost between $15 and $18/month in electricity increase (which is below the normal $20/month estimates for most spas).

Further testimony - I had a power failure in sub-zero temps over 3 days.  The tub started at 102 degrees, stayed covered and was still at 99 degrees 3 days later when the power came on so heat retention (with a quality cover) was exceptional.

$1K seems like a steal so that would be my only red flag on this one.   I would NOT sell my J370 for $2,500 (and I've had offers) so $1K does sound like a bargain assuming it is functional (i.e. pumps work).  If they don't, IMHO it would still be worth $400 or so to replace them if needed.  The only "critical" problem would (in my opinion) be if there was a problem with the electronics.  As long as they are in good operating order, I'd snap it up (if I were you)

BTW - New, the J-370 was around a $6,500 tub.  The general rule in used Hot tubs (less than 8 years old would be about 50% the original value) so that would place your cost from a Jacuzzi dealer around $3K for the same used tub.  Also, the J-370 is a fairly large tub which is a VERY good thing for a number of reasons (you can get 6 adults into it without much problem, the seats offer good variety, etc).  The jets are pretty basic but they also do their job well and can be replaced directly from Jacuzzi for $20 bucks or so per jet).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 07:19:49 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:39:15 pm »

I own a 2003 and I personally think the comment on efficiency is BULL.  The insulation on the 370's is "full foam" and it's a quality product pretty much on par with every other mfg in regards to insulation.  My J370 only cost between $15 and $18/month in electricity increase (which is below the normal $20/month estimates for most spas).

I have never heard of a"normal $20/month estimate."

What do you pay for energy?

How many kwh's do you use?

You are comparing your energy consumption to what?

I can only report what numerous disappointed customers told us.

Still, if this used tub is working it is a great deal.  Have the owner fill it and power it up so you can verify it is working.  If it is you should snatch it up.  My favorite Jacuzzi jet is the big one.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 04:21:46 pm »

I have never heard of a"normal $20/month estimate."

What do you pay for energy?

How many kwh's do you use?

You are comparing your energy consumption to what?

I can only report what numerous disappointed customers told us.

Still, if this used tub is working it is a great deal.  Have the owner fill it and power it up so you can verify it is working.  If it is you should snatch it up.  My favorite Jacuzzi jet is the big one.

By "normal $20/month estimate" I mean that "most" dealerships will inform a prospective customer to expect to see "about" a $20 increase in electricity costs monthly.  That's been a pretty common opinion not just on this forum but also on a number of other forums over the 5 years I have owned mine.  The thing that is interesting is that this "generic" estimate has not changed in those 5 years.  Since my post was not intended to be a "my costs are lower than your costs" pointless debate, there is no point in my outlining the individual details such as kwh, etc as they actually don't really matter.  My solitary point is that ALL the top branded tubs have essentially THE SAME operating costs (That includes my neighbors Hot Springs unit as well as my other neighbor's Sundance vs. my other neighbor's Dimension One vs. Marquis, etc).  The only ones that cost SIGNIFICANTLY more to run are the lower cost ones like Leisure(Spa Mart re-brand), Coast (Poor TP design), ThermoSpas (not low cost but low efficiency)).
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 05:36:59 pm »
 My solitary point is that ALL the top branded tubs have essentially THE SAME operating costs (That includes my neighbors Hot Springs unit as well as my other neighbor's Sundance vs. my other neighbor's Dimension One vs. Marquis, etc).  

I don't agree with that but I'm not going to say you're wrong, I'll just say my opinion/experience tells me something different.

Everyone has their opinion whether they are spa professionals or simply a spa owner like yourself and we're all entitiled to our opinions but you might want to throw an "IMO" in some of your posts.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 05:38:05 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

gadfly

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 01:52:22 pm »

By "normal $20/month estimate" I mean that "most" dealerships will inform a prospective customer to expect to see "about" a $20 increase in electricity costs monthly.  That's been a pretty common opinion not just on this forum but also on a number of other forums ...  My solitary point is that ALL the top branded tubs have essentially THE SAME operating costs ...  The only ones that cost SIGNIFICANTLY more to run are the lower cost ones like Leisure(Spa Mart re-brand), Coast (Poor TP design), ThermoSpas (not low cost but low efficiency)).
First to address Mr. Bunk:
1.  I took HottubDan's post, as saying that the J370 is a bigger tub, and therefore, will cost a little more to run.  He said clearly, that it is well-insulated.  I would expect that  he would say the same thing about the difference in costs, between small HotSprings, and their large tubs.  I don't see how that is "BULL".  
2.  In addition to differences in operating costs on the size of tub, and amount of use... I think that any "normal estimates" of electrical costs, would have to be based on local climate, and electrical rates.  Dealers in the Snow Belt, would have to use a different number, than those in the Sun Belt.  $20/month does not fit all.  My 525 gal, well-insulated tub, in MN... costs $30-40 to run, on average. over the whole year.
3.  I believe that Coast, is a full-foam tub.  I would expect its operating costs, to be simlar to your Jacuzzi.  If you are going to pose as an "expert", you should get your facts straight.  

Now back to tpdtopcop's question...

It appears from your other posts, that you have had some problems with the operating costs, on previous spas.  I am quite sure that a big part of those experiences were based on seeing only the fall/winter season costs before you got out.  My tub costs very little to run in MN in the summer, but winter bills are often $80 plus, with an "average month" less than $40.  As HottubDan mentioned, you need to be aware that this tub will probably cost you slightly more, than your previous tub, based on size.  If you can stomach that, and verify that it is in operating condition... this is a great buy.  If it was closer to my second home, I would be willing to buy it, based just on your description.  At $1000, you have plenty of room for any possible repairs.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:14:04 pm by drewbunker »

A.Sumner

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 02:25:15 pm »
I am looking into getting a Hot Tub there is a Jacuzzi J-370 for sale on for $1000.00  2002 Jacuzzi J-370, extra deep hot tub, water Capacity 505 Gallons, 34-Power Jets, Lounger, Stero-CD Player, Waterfall and Color lights, Ozoneator. New pumps, tub is in great condition with new cover, steps and towel rack included. My ? is this a good deal? What should I look for? I used to have a hot springs soveriegn and would like to know the if it is on par with keep the heat in(insulation wise)?

Thanks for any and all input.
I have had a Jacuzzi J-365 since 2004,  Should have bought a Caldera. We bought Jacuzzi because we thought it was a brand name you can trust. Since 2004 we have had to replace the mother board, control panel, heating element and as of today the hot tub is in over heat again and the led lights do not work.  Did i mention that i have the beautiful blue acrylic model that the dealer gave me something to clean it with and it stained the finish.  I am so disgusted with Jacuzzi that i just want to rip it out and seal up the hole in my deck.  I will never buy another hot tub....so disappointed with this hot tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 02:25:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42