What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cover time  (Read 5011 times)

benalexe

cover time
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:34:46 am »
Hi Everyone,

Now that Uncle Sam has told me about my refund it is time to start cover shopping.

Can you please all share things to look out for when buying a cover.  Anyone make a mistake and get the wrong one?

Do you need the better R factor and premium covers. What about those shields that some of them sell has an option or the stuff that the coat the bottom with?

If money was not the issue which kind of cover would you buy?

I know a lot of people her by from Doc  you guys all happy with your purchase? Any issues?  

Is there any other place I should look and compare?

Hot Tub Forum

cover time
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:34:46 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: cover time
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:16:16 am »
Hey Ben,

I can't really comment on a specific cover but I'm curious why the old cover failed? I know that some covers  double wrapp the foam to prevent water logging.

The other point that comes to mind is some covers offer a metal renforced side/edge. This is  a great option if you are thinking on upgrading the lifter as well.

:)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:17:08 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

benalexe

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:04:01 pm »
Anyone?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:17:55 am »
You said that you have had luck with Thermospa support, why not just call them and see what they offer since it would be a perfect fit for your tub? At least you would have a price point and something to compare to. Are there any local hot tub dealers that could help? I am sure they would be happy for the business and you could actually see the product that you were purchasing.  ;)

Support your dealer so they can support you!

benalexe

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 03:39:20 pm »
T-Spas is great support but very overpriced. I just thought that a lot of people here have purchased from Dr. Spas so wanted to get some insight.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:42:33 pm »

The other point that comes to mind is some covers offer a metal renforced side/edge. This is  a great option if you are thinking on upgrading the lifter as well.

:)

The metal on the side of a cover is specifically for cover lifts that actually attach to the cover and is only about 8" long. No reinforcement, just an attaching place for the lifter. BUT, this brings up a question, to all, do you think there would be a market for an option of adding metal reinforcement down the sides of a cover ???
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

txwillie

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 11:25:32 am »
Can anyone comment about foam density. I will be replacing my cover soon as it was hail damaged a couple of weeks ago. Dealer quoted $599 plus $125 shipping for a Sundance factory cover (made by Ideal). It is made of 2# density foam and the tout their vinyl as:

TOP SIDE VINYL

Top grade 29 oz. marine vinyl with 100% polyester reinforced backing.

All of the vinyl used to manufacture an Ideal Spa Cover is purchased from ISO 9001 suppliers. This vinyl is exclusively produced by the leader in the industry (SPA- TECH ™- SPASHIELD ™).

Treated with high levels of mildew and UV inhibitors, it passes 1500 hrs. in the testing machine "Weatherometer".

Vinyl used for automobiles fails at 300 hrs.
Marine Grade Vinyl without these protectants fail at 500 hr
s.

There is a lot more on the website about other features

Dealer also mentioned a local manufacturer that will make a replacement cover for about $200 less, but the foam is 1# density. I wonder what else is "less than" the OEM cover?

Last, what do you do with the old cover? can it be recycled or does it just go to the landfill?

txwillie
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:26:42 am by txwillie »

96SC

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 12:40:46 pm »
Get one that has a 'hydraulic lift' (I know it's not hydraulic, but I can't think of the real terminology) :-[.  It makes taking the cover off much easier.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 01:19:51 pm »
The biggest advantage to a higher foam density is strength. If you have a lot of snow, small children or pets jumping on the cover it's a good thing to have. The downside is weight, they weigh a lot more (there's also beliefs that a higher density is more resistant to water absorption). There's a slight advantage in insulating value, but it is quite small.

Ideal makes a nice cover, but by no mean is it any better than a number of other manufacturers out there. Some even use a better quality vinyl (and other materials that go into the construction). By the way, the brand and type of vinyl they use is quite common in this industry.

$599  :o :o WOW! plus $125 shipping  :o :o :o The same cover can be had for probably $200 - $300 less from somewhere else.

Have you asked your dealer to call the local company and see if they can upgrade the foam? It's generally very easy to do (though, it still seems priced a bit high). And get the rest of the specs on the cover while you're at it. They may be using the exact same vinyl. They may even be using higher quality materials in other areas (it's not hard :-)

Things to compare

Vinyl
foam
polyethylene
thread
metal reinforcement

Lastly, I'd double check, tipple check, that it's actually an Ideal brand cover. Sundance/Jacuzzi uses about 6 different cover manufacturers (the ASTM label on the cover should have the manufacturers name printed on it...(should, but not always).

Can anyone comment about foam density. I will be replacing my cover soon as it was hail damaged a couple of weeks ago. Dealer quoted $599 plus $125 shipping for a Sundance factory cover (made by Ideal). It is made of 2# density foam and the tout their vinyl as:

TOP SIDE VINYL

Top grade 29 oz. marine vinyl with 100% polyester reinforced backing.

All of the vinyl used to manufacture an Ideal Spa Cover is purchased from ISO 9001 suppliers. This vinyl is exclusively produced by the leader in the industry (SPA- TECH ™- SPASHIELD ™).

Treated with high levels of mildew and UV inhibitors, it passes 1500 hrs. in the testing machine "Weatherometer".

Vinyl used for automobiles fails at 300 hrs.
Marine Grade Vinyl without these protectants fail at 500 hr
s.

There is a lot more on the website about other features

Dealer also mentioned a local manufacturer that will make a replacement cover for about $200 less, but the foam is 1# density. I wonder what else is "less than" the OEM cover?

Last, what do you do with the old cover? can it be recycled or does it just go to the landfill?

txwillie

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

txwillie

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 04:07:12 pm »
yeah, I think $599 is high. but it is for a Maxxus ( 110"x91" overall, three sections).

It does have Ideal stamped on it.

I'll send you an email and let you give me a quote.

txwillie

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 07:29:58 pm »
Ideal is still in business?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 07:34:16 pm »
I don't think they ever really went out of business...but I guess, technically, you could say, they're back in business under the same original name.

Ideal is still in business?

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 08:45:41 pm »
Huh.  I knew the principal of Ideal was still *in business*, but I thought Ideal was done.  Nevertheless, that's not the subject of this thread.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:52:16 pm by Shaamus »

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 08:49:42 pm »
Even though the third piece isn't terribly large, $599 isn't outrageous for that cover.  $599 plus $125 shipping is getting up there, but the OEM knows that you need to have the pattern to do it because of that funky shape on the Maxxus.  We're doing one for a customer right now and I know they had trouble finding an aftermarket manufacturer with the pattern.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 09:15:24 pm »
Get one that has a 'hydraulic lift' (I know it's not hydraulic, but I can't think of the real terminology) :-[.  It makes taking the cover off much easier.

Pneumatic (pronounced New-Matic of course)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:15:53 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 09:15:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42