What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotspring Everfresh  (Read 4165 times)

Curious

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hotspring Everfresh
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:18:36 pm »
I've had my Envoy a little over a month and I'm really enjoying it.  However, I have a question regarding water chemistry.  The dealer said that I only need to check the PH, and should only really be concerned if it is too low.  I'm using the Everfresh program and shocking it before use, and using chlorine once a week.  I'm just a little concerned given I'm used to checking CH, TA, chlorine, etc.... and the manual supports checking those as well.  Thanks in advance.  

Hot Tub Forum

Hotspring Everfresh
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:18:36 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Hotspring Everfresh
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:52:19 pm »
I've had my Envoy a little over a month and I'm really enjoying it.  However, I have a question regarding water chemistry.  The dealer said that I only need to check the PH, and should only really be concerned if it is too low.  I'm using the Everfresh program and shocking it before use, and using chlorine once a week.  I'm just a little concerned given I'm used to checking CH, TA, chlorine, etc.... and the manual supports checking those as well.  Thanks in advance.  

I will always be a fan of adding chlorine after EACH use and shocking once per week.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:52:44 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:19:33 pm »
I agree that you should check those other levels if not every week, at least every other week.  pH is not the only level that should be checked.  I can't imagine why your dealer would tell you that.

With the Silver Cartridge and Ozone, I have found my levels stay pretty balanced, but I still like to check them.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:05:05 pm »
Your dealer was trying to keep it as simple as possible. I would say to stick with what he says, with one change - since you have to stick a test strip in the water to check the pH, and since it already tests the TA at the very same time, you might as well keep an eye on the two of them.

They do usually go up and down together anyway. Also, I would keep the pH and TA in the right range period. If they get too high you can calcify the entire interior of the spa, and that will scare any new tub owner. So if they are too high, add "Spa Down," or something similar. If they are too low, add "Spa Up" or something like it.

By the way, have you read the note posted at the top of this forum about "Chas' law?"

8-)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 06:05:53 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:58:44 am »
Shocking before use is poor advice. Make sure you have a safe chlorine reading but shocking? I don't believe your dealer understands water chemistry nor what shocking is.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:38:22 am »
Dealer is giving advice from Hot Spring owner's manual and Nature 2 instructions.

They say (I am paraphrasing) add MPS or chlorine [glow]before[/glow] each use.  Shock weekly with MPS or chlorine.

So, the words may be wrong, but the thrust of the advice is correct.  Unless we know the doses recommended, we cannot know what is really being recommended.  I would guess the dealer recommended to use MPS (shock) before each use and superchlorinate (add chlorine) weekly.  

The language of water chemistry is foreign to lay people, so we all get our terms mixed up.

"Shock, pH, Total Alkalinity, TA, CH, Calcium Hardness, Total Hardness, Total Chlorine, Free Chlorine, Sodium Bromide..." What new owner is going to understand all those words?  How many dealers truly understand?  How much does one have to understand?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 03:47:04 pm »
Shocking before use is poor advice. Make sure you have a safe chlorine reading but shocking?.

Actually, if you add some MPS (Oxidizer), you can get in the tub right away. If you are doing a chlorine shock, then you may wish to wait a while. Perhaps even till the next day.

The problem is that most of us who have been in the industry a long time remember when all the non-chlorine oxidizer products used to be called "Shock." So we sometimes give the wrong advice.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 03:47:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42