What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cost for electrical service  (Read 5060 times)

just ducky

Cost for electrical service
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:31:18 pm »
Anyone got a ballpark cost for the electrical service for a new spa?  I'm in the midwest, and I've gotten a couple estimates already, but they seem high to me ($600 and up).  I know you need to provide a control box and GFCI for the spa, but I'm only running about 10' from the main house service connection.  Just seems like it should be less.

Hot Tub Forum

Cost for electrical service
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:31:18 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Cost for electrical service
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 08:02:36 pm »
 I always tell people an average is 6 to 1200 seems to be the norm up here.   Either way for the price you are quoted it should include the GFCI/box are one in the same in most cases.

To me 600 for a 10ft hook up does seem high!!  

Water Boy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:12:44 pm »
Hi JustDucky,

I usually tell people to budget for around $600, so they aren't too far off. What tub did you decide to go with??
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Pathfinder

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:20:20 am »
I bet that 10' ends up being around 20'. If they are using tek cable its pretty expensive these days.  Drive time included your probably looking at 4 hrs for quoting. They arent going to quote less time considering if they run into an unseen issue thats not their fault. $600 IMO is pretty decent pricing.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:45:50 am »
6 years ago I paid $1000.  That included running wire 30 ft to the garage, then 20 ft inside the garage, then out the side into the box then an additional 5 ft to the tub

just ducky

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:01:57 am »
I bet that 10' ends up being around 20'. If they are using tek cable its pretty expensive these days.  Drive time included your probably looking at 4 hrs for quoting. They arent going to quote less time considering if they run into an unseen issue thats not their fault. $600 IMO is pretty decent pricing.

Honestly, I think it could end up less than 10' even if it weren't for the required distance from the spa to the disconnect.  The location for the spa is directly outside the house, and the main service to my house is probably 10' away.  Directly below in the basement is the main panel for the house.  There's nothing in the way from the service to the spa location...absolute open, and a straight shot.  Lots of spots to locate the new box, or run the line.  I'm getting several estimates...we'll see.

Water Boy

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:07:28 am »

Honestly, I think it could end up less than 10' even if it weren't for the required distance from the spa to the disconnect.  The location for the spa is directly outside the house, and the main service to my house is probably 10' away.  Directly below in the basement is the main panel for the house.  There's nothing in the way from the service to the spa location...absolute open, and a straight shot.  Lots of spots to locate the new box, or run the line.  I'm getting several estimates...we'll see.

If you shop it around enough, you might be able to find it less for $600, but it may not be by much. The box itself retails for around $100, but most of the charge is labor. I would recommend going with a licensed, experienced electrician, even if they cost a little more than some newbie that doesn’t know what he is doing.

PS. What tub did you end up going with?

just ducky

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:16:20 pm »

If you shop it around enough, you might be able to find it less for $600, but it may not be by much. The box itself retails for around $100, but most of the charge is labor. I would recommend going with a licensed, experienced electrician, even if they cost a little more than some newbie that doesn’t know what he is doing.

PS. What tub did you end up going with?

I need to do the electrical correctly and to code so as not to jeopardize the warranty at all.  So it will be a licensed electrician.  And permits will be pulled...just my personal preference on the permits, even though I know that pushes the cost up.

we bought a J345

Water Boy

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:16:33 pm »

I need to do the electrical correctly and to code so as not to jeopardize the warranty at all.  So it will be a licensed electrician.  And permits will be pulled...just my personal preference on the permits, even though I know that pushes the cost up.

we bought a J345

Congrats on your purchase. Just curious, but what were the deciding factors to go with the J345. Be sure to include pictures when you take delivery of it. ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:43:06 pm by Happy_Madison »

just ducky

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 04:28:52 pm »

Congrats on your purchase. Just curious, but what were the deciding factors to go with the J345. Be sure to incldue pictures when you take delivery of it. ;)

The layout of the J345, which is really open and provides lots of options for seating, and for having multiple people in the tub at the same time, was really what kept bringing us back to this spa.  We felt the layout served our needs the best.  But the real selling point was the wet test.  As many have told me, it was critical to do the actual wet test, and feel the jets, the seats, the layout and size, etc.  That was really the deciding factor.  Once we did that, we knew.  And the local Jacuzzi dealer seemed to be a straight shooter with me, and we felt he treated us fairly, which is all I could ask, and I appreciated.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:31:21 pm by just_ducky »

zroger73

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 07:05:54 pm »
Every time I read one of these posts, it makes me thankful for the ability to have done my own wiring. It also makes me consider leaving my engineering job and becoming an electrician, LOL!
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

just ducky

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 07:26:32 pm »
Okay got a few estimates, and one electrician will cut quite a bit off if I help him.  So we're down in the $450 range now with permits and all.  Good to go!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 07:26:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42