What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Soaking too soon after shocking a bad thing?  (Read 4383 times)

zroger73

Soaking too soon after shocking a bad thing?
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:23:56 pm »
Last night, I did my weekly shock with about 3 to 4 teaspoons of dichlor. Less than an hour later, I found my roommate and a friend in the hot tub before I could warn them that I had just shocked it. Usually, I wait about a day. I guess nobody dissolved in the water, because everything seemed in order when I left for work this morning. I had about 5 PPM FAC at noon today. I told them I thought they would probably be okay, but might experience dry, itchy skin. This is the first time I've encountered this situation and wondered just how harmful it is to get in water right after shocking.
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Hot Tub Forum

Soaking too soon after shocking a bad thing?
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:23:56 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Soaking too soon after shocking a bad thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:47:20 am »
Last night, I did my weekly shock with about 3 to 4 teaspoons of dichlor. Less than an hour later, I found my roommate and a friend in the hot tub before I could warn them that I had just shocked it. Usually, I wait about a day. I guess nobody dissolved in the water, because everything seemed in order when I left for work this morning. I had about 5 PPM FAC at noon today. I told them I thought they would probably be okay, but might experience dry, itchy skin. This is the first time I've encountered this situation and wondered just how harmful it is to get in water right after shocking.

If you turn on the jets the fumes can give you a nasty headach.  (Voice of Experience)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:20:04 pm »
Not a big deal - in fact it is far safer to jump in a tub with too much Chlorine than one with no chlorine.

Dry skin, maybe.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

zroger73

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:59:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I talked to my roommate the next morning and he said he had no problems. Even though I'm going on one year with my hot tub, a few situations still arise periodically that are new to me and I'm still rather cautious about. I remember the first few weeks were nerve-wrecking. Manuals usually go overboard for safety and liability's sake. I've heard plenty of stories about people who never check their water and blindly add chemicals - if they add chemicals at all. I still have a fear that if I accidentally let my chlorine fall to zero three or four times a year, then I will most certainly wake up the next morning with a staph infection and uncontrollable vomiting. ;) I try to be more safe than sorry, but doing everything literally "by the book" seems like it would require buying test strips by the truckload and multiple, daily checks. Overall, I guess my routine has been working. My water stays clear, doesn't smell, and nobody has become infected with skin lesions so far.

96SC

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:38:01 am »
If I had a nickle for every time I checked my chlorine and it was zero, I could retire. :-[

No skin problems, cloudy water, scum, algea, bad odor.  Maybe I'm just lucky.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:40:17 am by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »
Jumping in soon after shocking makes doing that somewhat worthless. You want to shock, leave the cover open and run the jet for 15-20 minutes. Shocking is taking your chlorine to higher levels but jumping in soon after will negate that. there's no point in shocking the spa if you know you're going to be using it soon after.

If the chlorine is low or zero, add some to bump it up for safe bathing (1-3ppm) and shock AFTER use!  :)

Steve

zroger73

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:33:14 pm »
If I had a nickle for every time I checked my chlorine and it was zero, I could retire. :-[

No skin problems, cloudy water, scum, algea, bad odor.  Maybe I'm just lucky.

Perhaps there is some merit to ozone and Nature2. I've never had any problems and I'm sure my chlorine has fallen to zero more times than I'm aware of.

zroger73

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:35:37 pm »
Jumping in soon after shocking makes doing that somewhat worthless. You want to shock, leave the cover open and run the jet for 15-20 minutes. Shocking is taking your chlorine to higher levels but jumping in soon after will negate that. there's no point in shocking the spa if you know you're going to be using it soon after.

If the chlorine is low or zero, add some to bump it up for safe bathing (1-3ppm) and shock AFTER use!  :)

Steve

That's what I've always done, but this particular time my roommate was unaware I had just shocked and I was unaware he and his friend were gonna jump in. I think I scared him when I told him I hoped he didn't burn up in the water. I bet he asks next time!

mcdod

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 12:35:45 pm »
Its great to join a group where everyone is expreienciing the same thing and I dont have a dealer talking me into buying more products and telling me to consult my 100 page manual for the right solution
Foaming seems to be my hassle but the Jacuzi keeps on ticking nicely. Thanks for the advice on foaming.

Question: Is there a solution to use for cleaning the tub before filling it again, thought I would do A THOROUGH spring clean?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 12:35:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42