What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Am I comparing apples to apples?  (Read 6796 times)

just ducky

Am I comparing apples to apples?
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:27:16 am »
First time spa buyer.  I've done lots of research, and am now shopping.  I think I've narrowed the choices down to Hot Springs or Jacuzzi, and have visited dealers for both.  My question is comparison...I've been told the Jacuzzi 300 series and the Hot Springs Tiger River models are a reasonable comparison of quality/reliability for the money.  Looking for thoughts from those more experienced than I.

Hot Tub Forum

Am I comparing apples to apples?
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:27:16 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Am I comparing apples to apples?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:35:47 pm »
First time spa buyer.  I've done lots of research, and am now shopping.  I think I've narrowed the choices down to Hot Springs or Jacuzzi, and have visited dealers for both.  My question is comparison...I've been told the Jacuzzi 300 series and the Hot Springs Tiger River models are a reasonable comparison of quality/reliability for the money.  Looking for thoughts from those more experienced than I.

That makes sense; the J-400 series competes with Hot Spring and the J-300 series with Tiger River. You should do well with either. Compare the spas, warranties and features and certainly the dealers and take the plunge and wet test. Often times people are torn between two or three spas and after wet testing it all becomes much clearer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

just ducky

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:08:15 pm »

That makes sense; the J-400 series competes with Hot Spring and the J-300 series with Tiger River. You should do well with either. Compare the spas, warranties and features and certainly the dealers and take the plunge and wet test. Often times people are torn between two or three spas and after wet testing it all becomes much clearer.

Good advice.  Many people have said that the wet test will be the key, and we do plan on doing some.  I'm hoping I do see a big difference in "feel" because that would make the decision easier.  Thanks for the input.

just ducky

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 02:04:39 pm »
Okay another dumb question when comparing models...I was under the impression that most if not all good quality spas had a 2 speed pump.  But I'm finding some, such as the Hot Springs Prodigy, has a 1 speed pump.  Although it has a circulation pump, it doesn't make sense to me to have a 1 speed main pump?  The tubs I've been in before all had two speeds.  Is this just a personal preference thing, or is there actually a big difference between having a 1 speed vs. 2 speed?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:21:50 pm »
Okay another dumb question when comparing models...I was under the impression that most if not all good quality spas had a 2 speed pump.  But I'm finding some, such as the Hot Springs Prodigy, has a 1 speed pump.  Although it has a circulation pump, it doesn't make sense to me to have a 1 speed main pump?  The tubs I've been in before all had two speeds.  Is this just a personal preference thing, or is there actually a big difference between having a 1 speed vs. 2 speed?

Two speed pumps are used when the pump is also are used to move the water for filtering (unnecessary if there is a circ pump) or if it is tied to a waterfall. Otherwise, a single speed is all you'll generally see (and IMO all that is needed plus singles tend to have a little better service life than dual speeds, not major though).

Micah

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 03:43:56 pm »

I'm going to politely disagree with spatech.  The Jacuzzi 200 series was designed to go head to head with the tiger river line.  The Jacuzzi 300 series and the original H.S. line compete for the same customer.  The Jacuzzi 400 series is about 2-4k more than the H.S. line.

What T.R. spa are you looking at?  What Jacuzzi Spa are you looking at?
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Pathfinder

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:01:01 pm »

Two speed pumps are used when the pump is also are used to move the water for filtering (unnecessary if there is a circ pump) or if it is tied to a waterfall. Otherwise, a single speed is all you'll generally see (and IMO all that is needed plus singles tend to have a little better service life than dual speeds, not major though).

Secondary single speeds pumps except for Marquis I believe is a US phenomenon. All Canadian tub makers have all jet  pumps dual speed. Having dual speed pumps definitely increases your therapy options.  Servicing both types I've never seen a difference in life.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 04:35:03 pm »

Secondary single speeds pumps except for Marquis I believe is a US phenomenon. All Canadian tub makers have all jet  pumps dual speed. Having dual speed pumps definitely increases your therapy options.  Servicing both types I've never seen a difference in life.

I don't see or hear much about people caring to use the pumps on low speed for the jets. The jets on low speed are like using a blower for me, just moving some water without much benefit but to each his own.

Of course it doesn’t hurt to have the pumps at 2 speed even if they're not used for filtering or a waterfall and as far as service, I don't think it’s a big difference so I didn't mean it to matter much when I said single speed pumps tend to have a little better service life.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 04:55:12 pm »

I'm going to politely disagree with spatech.  The Jacuzzi 200 series was designed to go head to head with the tiger river line.  The Jacuzzi 300 series and the original H.S. line compete for the same customer.  The Jacuzzi 400 series is about 2-4k more than the H.S. line.

Frankly a Hot Spring is a Hot Spring a Tiger is a Tiger a 200 series is just that a 300 a 300 series.  Do some J 300's compare HS?  Sure.  Do some compare to Tigers?  Yep.  Despite what Jacuzzi might claim, a 200 series is not in the same league as Tigers.  More like Hot Spots.

My humble opinion.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Summitman

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:04:58 pm »

Frankly a Hot Spring is a Hot Spring a Tiger is a Tiger a 200 series is just that a 300 a 300 series.  Do some J 300's compare HS?  Sure.  Do some compare to Tigers?  Yep.  Despite what Jacuzzi might claim, a 200 series is not in the same league as Tigers.  [glow]More like Hot Spots.[/glow]

My humble opinion.

The Hot Spot is not in the same league as 200 series.  The 200 has a better warranty and better quality.  

IMO
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 05:05:51 pm by waylon33 »

Micah

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:21 pm »

Frankly a Hot Spring is a Hot Spring a Tiger is a Tiger a 200 series is just that a 300 a 300 series.  Do some J 300's compare HS?  Sure.  Do some compare to Tigers?  Yep.  Despite what Jacuzzi might claim, a 200 series is not in the same league as Tigers.  More like Hot Spots.

My humble opinion.
Dan,
How much have you had to drink today? You must buy that Kool Aid in bulk.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Pathfinder

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:15:52 pm »

I don't see or hear much about people caring to use the pumps on low speed for the jets. The jets on low speed are like using a blower for me, just moving some water without much benefit but to each his own.

Of course it doesn’t hurt to have the pumps at 2 speed even if they're not used for filtering or a waterfall and as far as service, I don't think it’s a big difference so I didn't mean it to matter much when I said single speed pumps tend to have a little better service life.

Gotcha  

IMO  a J365 will rival most  tubs on the market for function and comfort.  Considering the 400 series just came out a few years ago. I see the 400 series as a line for people who want more decadence in a tub besides form and function.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 08:07:57 pm »

The Hot Spot is not in the same league as 200 series.  The 200 has a better warranty and better quality.  

IMO

200 series warranty 3 years parts and labor
Hot Spot 2 years parts and labor
Score 1 for 200 series
Tiger River (200 series developed to compete with?) 5 years parts and labor
Score 1 for Tiger River

I think it makes my point.  200 series closer to Hot Spot than Tiger River.  Once again, I say each product stands on its own.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

just ducky

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 08:10:16 pm »
 I'm going to politely disagree with spatech.  The Jacuzzi 200 series was designed to go head to head with the tiger river line...

My understanding through looking at the Jacuzzi website info, and talking with the dealer, is that the J 200 series do not have circulation pumps, whereas the Tiger River line does, which to me should make a big difference.  Then again, I'm a newbie to this.

Not set on anything yet, but looking strongly at the J 345 and the TR Bengal or Caspian.  We also need to do wet tests...I know that.

just ducky

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 08:18:43 pm »

The reason I think 2 speeds would be better for us is my wife really doesn't like a lot of jet or wave action, preferring to have gentle jetting.  I like both gentler action, and also sometimes like to "let 'er rip".  The spas I've been in before have had 2 speed jet action.  Now one dealer told us you can accomplish the same thing with a single speed pump by adjusting the individual jet nozzle to allow more or less flow.  So in theory, my wife could just back some of them down if she feels it's too strong for her.  I guess I'm not convinced on that issue.

We've got an offer on a HS Prodigy floor model of right around 6k, including all taxes, delivery, cover and cover assist cradle, and set up assist, which seems like a good price to me.  But the Prodigy has a single speed pump.  So we're going to wet test it soon, and that will probably tell us a lot about whether the single speed pump is sufficient for us.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 08:18:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42