What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How old is old  (Read 7737 times)

Aggie67

How old is old
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:57:43 pm »
I have a Calspa that has a serial number that I traced back to 1981.  I bought the house 2 years ago, and I'm just this week starting to notice issues here and there with leaks and fittings that are snapping off.  Not to mention the floor is completely rotted away.

My son and I are planning on rebuilding the thing this spring.  Everything seems to be in great shape except for the wood.  I was also toying with the idea of enlarging the shell (someone in my area is selling a unit for a song but the guts are shot, says the shell is in great shape).  My unit fits 4 adults in comfort.  This shell I have my eye on sits 7-8.  I'm a contractor and an engineer, so nothing about this swap scares me.  I've even toyed with the idea of building an in-ground concrete spa.  

My question is how old is old?  How old does a spa have to be before you remove it from life support?  Other than the wood and a busted fitting, I haven't experienced any problems (he said, before the hot tub got swallowed up by a massive sink hole...).

But how old does it have to be before you take it out to the shed and shoot it?  Or do you nurture it as long as you can get it to go?

Hot Tub Forum

How old is old
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:57:43 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: How old is old
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:11:13 pm »
Your question cannot be answered as a general question, some brands are old and done at 5-years some at 10...

For Cal I would say 5-years.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Aggie67

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 06:27:07 pm »
Thanks.  Now I'm confident I'm doing the right thing.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 07:33:14 pm »
Thanks.  Now I'm confident I'm doing the right thing.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the project.  I'm sure you will find good advice here.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 07:37:23 pm »
If you want a spa project I'd start looking at Craigslist and find somone who wanting to get rid of a decent spa at a good price that maybe just needs a little work (you can find good deals like that if you're patient). I wouldn't put time or money into a spa made in 1981 that is having issues.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 08:59:02 pm »
"some brands are old and done at 5-years some at 10...  
For Cal I would say 5-years"
[/b]

Wow my wonderful, beautiful Cal will be three years old in a few months...
guess the clock is ticking down....the end is near!....LOL

::)

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 10:59:21 pm »
Did I hear that right?  It's a 27 year old Cal Spa?  If so, it may be the ONLY one...LOL.  Seriously, it is time to take it out back and shoot it...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

aduvall

• 2008 HS Soverign
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 12:02:53 am »
Your question cannot be answered as a general question, some brands are old and done at 5-years some at 10...

For Cal I would say 5-years.

WOW! Am I glad that I bought a Hot Springs.  :)

2008 HS Soverign

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 11:44:43 am »
I just gotta say that even though I didn't care for Chuck Hewitt and his tactics in the old days, he knew the business.

I can tell you that I've seen quite a few old Cals like that over the years but still have never seen a Sundance, Jacuzzi or even Marquis that old.

I've seen very few HotSpring dog dish's (classic's) that old and a few HS personal spas that were still around with their 2-4 jets and no curb appeal but I’m not sure they were over 25 years.

Arctic, Master and several other brands represented here can't even claim spas half that old because they've not been around that long.

Give credit where credit is due.

I will tell you that I’ve sold two Marquis that I refurbished that where over 20 years old and looked new when we delivered them.

last but not least...when I saw the title of this thread I thought they were talking about Dr. Spa!! ;) ;D :D 8-)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 11:49:11 am »
Be VERY glad you're 1000 miles away from me  >:(

;D ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 12:00:03 pm »
Be VERY glad you're 1000 miles away from me  >:(

;D ;D
because age and deceit always win over youth and skill, or because your just a darn good shot with a stapler....? :-?

Aggie67

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 01:55:04 pm »
I have to figure out to post pics.  I'll show you what I'm up against.

Water Boy

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 02:04:02 pm »
I have to figure out to post pics.  I'll show you what I'm up against.

Very easy to do and please do share with us.

Upload the pics from your camera to your computer. Then go to photobucket.com and open a free account and upload your pictures there from your computer. Once you do that, copy the image code and then come back here.

Once you reply in this thread, you will see a button at the top, third from the left that will say "insert image". Put what you copied between those brackets and you should be good to go. Let me know if you cant figure it out.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Aggie67

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 02:39:33 pm »
I guess that worked pretty well.

The serial number on the heater element says S186.  Calspa told me that was a 1981 number.  I don't have a manual for it.

I can't bring myself to ditch this just because of the wood.  I'll make a new shroud, and put a concrete pad under it.  Right now it's sitting on what looks like 8x8 PT lumber, which is the same stuff the retaining wall in front of the pool is made of.  One of my neighbors said the original owners had the thing inside the addition (which you can see in the last pic, taken a day or two after I moved in 2 years ago), then they turned that into a neat bar area and moved the spa under the cabana section of the addition, and then when the pool went in about 10 years ago they moved it to its current spot in front of the pool.

I pressure washed all the wood in the backyard this past summer, and it cleaned up really well.  And like I said other than a few leaks in the piping, it works.  So I think I'm going to redo the shroud and do a pad

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 04:49:47 pm »

I can't bring myself to ditch this just because of the wood.  

Earlier you'd said "I'm just this week starting to notice issues here and there with leaks and fittings that are snapping off." which is why I’d questioned putting time and $ into it.

If it’s really just mainly the wood and you're up to the task then go for it but from those pictures I would DEFINITELY look to insulate that a LOT more. At a minimum get some of the foil backed foam board and attach it to the back of the panels and fill gaps where you can.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:02:33 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 04:49:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42