What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ozone allergy?  (Read 8425 times)

flajoker

• Hot Springs...Envoy
ozone allergy?
« on: February 26, 2005, 10:32:34 am »
What can be the reactions to ozone if you might be allergic to it?
Anyone had any kind of reaction to it?

Hot Tub Forum

ozone allergy?
« on: February 26, 2005, 10:32:34 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: ozone allergy?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 10:56:46 am »
 I guess I would qualify - though I have never had an allergy test done by a doctor.  

For me, it causes my chest to constrict as if I was having an attack of asthma.  I do have asthma, but I haven't had any trouble with it in years.

The only time this happens for me is when I walk into a room with one of those 'Classic Air Purifiers' or a similar product which pumps large amounts of ozone into a room. No spa that I have ever sat in has causes a reaction, even in the showroom. The irony is, the Pastor of our church has a strong reaction to mold, so he keeps one or two of these machines running around him at the church. They even put one in the air return of the heating system for a couple of weeks, and I was miserable.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hair

• artesian gives lust, jealousy gives regret
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 07:25:58 pm »
is your spa inside or outside?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 01:46:31 am »
I'm a dealer and I have several running in the showroom, only one of them has ozone.

I have had ozone on my spa outdoors - though not recently.

None of the spas have ever bothered me with ozone-related problems, even back when we had a more closed-in 'mood room.'

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 10:17:26 am »
There was a health warning a few years ago about "indoor air cleaners" and the amount of ozone they produce. Apparently some of them produced harmful amounts of ozone.

Also, like anything else - some people are more susceptible to certain things than others - look at the posts where a family gets into a hot tub and 1 person breaks out in a rash!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 12:27:29 am »
at Hot water class I recently attented.....they made mention of a small dog being the equal of putting 50 people in your spa..not a good idea.....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 08:28:49 am »
which people?

;)

kmundt

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:48:47 am »
Did you ever figure out what was causing your reaction to ozone in your hot tub? I have the same reaction and it seems to only affect me. The rash started after we added the Ozone.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 02:05:50 pm »
Did you ever figure out what was causing your reaction to ozone in your hot tub? I have the same reaction and it seems to only affect me. The rash started after we added the Ozone.

Did anything else change in your chemical routine when you switched to ozone?

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:58:37 pm »
Ozone in hot tubs shuts off when any of the buttons are touched. It will not come back on for at least 40 minutes after the last button was touched. It is a safty feature because ozone is a poisonous gas, and it can burn your skin if you hold your body next to the jet it is coming out of. Ozone also should not be run in indoor tubs unless you have proper ventilation. After it shuts off, it dissipates very quickly, no risdual is left in the water.

What kind of reation are you having and when?

I have the same reaction as Chas, It sets off my Asthma, but only if I open my cover just a little bit and stcik my head in to check water chemistry ect. I have learned to hit one of the jets on for a minutes to shut the ozone off before I do this now.

I just got back from Florida where we visited Busch Gardens. They treat all the little brooks and water features around the park with ozone. It was very powerful and at times caused a chest tightening issue with me. I was surprised they pumped that much ozone into the water, but I guess they have to will all the birds and such.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:01:33 pm by Hillbilly_Hot_Tub »
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

zroger73

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 06:50:11 pm »
Ozone in hot tubs shuts off when any of the buttons are touched. It will not come back on for at least 40 minutes after the last button was touched. It is a safty feature because ozone is a poisonous gas, and it can burn your skin if you hold your body next to the jet it is coming out of. Ozone also should not be run in indoor tubs unless you have proper ventilation. After it shuts off, it dissipates very quickly, no risdual is left in the water.

Someone has grossly misinformed you about ozone. I'm not aware of any hot that shuts off ozone as a safety feature. HotSpring certainly does not. It runs 24/7. The amount of ozone produced by a hot tub is far, far below harmful levels. It will not burn your skin in a hot tub. It is perfectly safe, and recommended, to leave the ozone running on an indoor hot tub (not that you could turn it off without making potentially warranty-voiding modifications, anyway). Any amount of recommended ventilation would be to prevent high levels of humidity - not ozone.

In fact, the amount of ozone that hot tubs produce is so small to begin with that it must be used with other chemicals to be remotely effective. It won't do much all by itself, but it's certainly not harmful in hot tub applications by any means. I just don't want people to get scared and start ripping out their ozone generators and putting themselves at risk for electrocution. :)
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 08:19:11 pm »

Someone has grossly misinformed you about ozone.

You too  ;D ;D More recently made spas, in order to meet UL guidelines must have the ozone OFF while the spa is being used.

Ozone, even the small amount produced in a spa, CAN be VERY harmful to some people. MANY people have respiratory sensitivities to ozone. Especially those with asthma (including those that NEVER knew they had it, till they came in contact with the high levels of ozone a spa CAN produce)

Ozone in water has a VERY short half life, generally seconds to minutes. In air, the half life goes to HOURS. Ozone is heavier than air and will tend to settle in low areas and can accumulate to quite high levels. I've seen $20k plasmas TVs and other electronics DESTROYED by ozone (ozone works quite well at deteriorating some plastics used in electronics...as well as plastic wire insulation).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 10:42:47 pm »
Sorry guys.  Different strokes for different folks.  Some spas have the ozone turn off, others do not.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 12:45:53 pm »
I feel the need to clarify - I have never had a reaction to ozone from a spa. I mentioned that it triggers my asthma when in the presence of an AIR freshening unit, or units.

I work around two or three tubs running with ozone systems at work all day. No reaction. The HotSpring spas on our floor come with factory-installed O3 systems, but I have not added it to the Tiger River or Limelight spas which I also have running.

I will, someday, because the HS are far easier to keep clean and clear on the showroom floor.

8-)

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 12:48:38 pm »
Sorry guys.  Different strokes for different folks.  Some spas have the ozone turn off, others do not.

If it does not turn off, it is not UL listed. Older spas may have ozone that does not shut off, but the newer spas should not....I can not speak for the ones make in China ect though....God only knows.

I agree with Dr.Spa 100% on this, he has everything exactly as I have learned it.

It is not a huge thing if you have an indoor tub just to unplug the ozone from the control system, no ripping wires out.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:54:20 pm by Hillbilly_Hot_Tub »
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 12:48:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42