What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The 3 Key Tips for Hot Tub Buyers  (Read 6977 times)

aquagirl

The 3 Key Tips for Hot Tub Buyers
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »
So, you're considering a hot tub purchase.

First things first- give yourself a pat on the back!  The warm soothing water of hot tubs and spas have been proven to decrease stress, increase circulation, and help with sleep.  Though pricey, it can prove to be a great investment for your health and overall enjoyment in life.

And since they're pricey, it's important that you choose a tub that will not skimp on quality.  Though a certain brand may be more expensive, it may save you thousands of dollars in the future as well as headaches (since it won't need as much maintenance).

The first thing to consider:  insulation.

A poorly insulated tub will skyrocket your heating bills.

The next thing to consider: function.  Who will be primarily using the hot tub?  It will feel worth the money as long as it's used consistently.  Do you want it for personal use or for entertaining?  Would you like to have the option of exercising in it?   Various models focus on these preferences.  When you pick a tub that perfectly suits your needs (again, even if it's a bit pricey), it will be of greater use to you and your family.

The last thing to consider: track record.  Don't be afraid to really research a hot tub company- and ask them questions!  Make sure you know how long they've been in business and what their experience is.  In case there are maintenance issues, you want a company who really knows what they're doing!

One hot tub company that I would highly recommend wet-testing is Dimension One Spas.  As far as insulation, function and track record, they score extremely high.  The website is: Please read forum guidelines.

Good luck!  :)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:49:31 am by wmccall »

Hot Tub Forum

The 3 Key Tips for Hot Tub Buyers
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »

Vanguard

Re: The 3 Key Tips for Hot Tub Buyers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:20 pm »
Just throwin' out helpful information??  Why are you posting this?  Is this just meant to be a plug for D1?
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 10:17:37 pm »
Let me guess,  D1 dealer???
Bullfrog 451

Chris_H

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:32:13 pm »
Thanks so much for the post.  I am going to go out and buy a D1.  You advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks again for telling me what really is the best hottub.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:00:01 pm »
Aqua girl, there is a section for industry professionals. Your opinion would be more valuable if you first identified yourself as either a dealer or company representative in that section. You have basically set yourself up for abuse with what you have posted... ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:25:33 pm »
I sent her an email welcoming to come back and participate in our forum in a non-advertising way.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:26:32 pm »
Aren't D1 tubs considered one of the best brands?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:55 am »
Aren't D1 tubs considered one of the best brands?
As with all brands, it depends upon who you ask.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Eco_Spas

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:26:02 pm »
As with all brands, it depends upon who you ask.

8-)
that is very true "they" all claim to be the "best" or #1 spa.  I didnt know that there could be multiple #1s  :-?
'GREEN' ENGINEER

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:03:26 pm »
I've kinda kept my mouth shut lately but I've got to say...D1 is one of the most complicated spas out there...They've had a pretty decent amount of shell cracks on anything except the ultralife white and they won't cover the "micro grazing" under warranty.

Their "function" is one of the problems... the new menu driven control has been failing at an alarming rate since it came out and although the engineers admit it's the contrast circuitry in the unit they have yet to fix it completely.

Add to this you've got 2 to 4 (or more) boards all talking to each other that cause constant problems.

Next lets talk about their filter canisters...they've made the largest piece of PVC in the entire spa the thinnest piece and put it in the filter canister where customers are required to pull and tug on it constantly. You will see quite a few failures here over the next few years.

D1 has a reputation of keeping dealers, even big dealers, for only about 2-3 years in many areas and then replace them for another dealer that will order a truckload. When they do this the old dealer can still buy parts and supplies but only at a premium so the price goes up for the customer. If the customer moves to the new dealer they get hit with extra service charges because they didn't buy from that dealer.

Their arrogance is astounding and their attitude of "it's not my fault" is very frustrating for the dealers, customers and service guys.

With that said...the spa looks cool, has good jets and has one of the best filtration systems I've ever seen. I just don't think the positives outweigh the negatives.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 09:25:05 pm »
I've kinda kept my mouth shut lately but I've got to say...D1 is one of the most complicated spas out there...They've had a pretty decent amount of shell cracks on anything except the ultralife white and they won't cover the "micro grazing" under warranty.

Their "function" is one of the problems... the new menu driven control has been failing at an alarming rate since it came out and although the engineers admit it's the contrast circuitry in the unit they have yet to fix it completely.

Add to this you've got 2 to 4 (or more) boards all talking to each other that cause constant problems.

Next lets talk about their filter canisters...they've made the largest piece of PVC in the entire spa the thinnest piece and put it in the filter canister where customers are required to pull and tug on it constantly. You will see quite a few failures here over the next few years.

D1 has a reputation of keeping dealers, even big dealers, for only about 2-3 years in many areas and then replace them for another dealer that will order a truckload. When they do this the old dealer can still buy parts and supplies but only at a premium so the price goes up for the customer. If the customer moves to the new dealer they get hit with extra service charges because they didn't buy from that dealer.

Their arrogance is astounding and their attitude of "it's not my fault" is very frustrating for the dealers, customers and service guys.

With that said...the spa looks cool, has good jets and has one of the best filtration systems I've ever seen. I just don't think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Wow. That's quite a lot of problems! Especially for a manufacturer that is often listed with the top 5-10 brands.

Tazman, I didn't see your name in the "Hot Tub Industry Professionals" thread. Are you a former D1 dealer? Some perspective on how you came to these conclusions might be helpful.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Vanguard

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 10:56:25 pm »
Did we run off Aquagirl or did she just come in and do a "drive-by posting?"
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 11:29:15 pm »
Aquascam.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 03:40:54 am »
Someone by the name of "Aquagirl22" is posting on another forum right now, posing as a shopper trying to decide between two "high quality" D1 tubs: the one with "massager loungers that are perfectly conformed for your body" or the one with an "underwater gym" with a variety of exercises and resistance tethers".

It's sad, really. I really don't know much about D1, but seeing this sort of behavior  - dealers or manufacturers posing as customers - would really turn me off from ever considering them.

And speaking of weird things on hot tub forums, I just read that a certain hot tub re-brander has been able to prove that humans have been around for only 10,000 by watching videos on YouTube. Silly me, I thought you would need to do some science to prove that sort of thing...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 08:00:25 am »
Did we run off Aquagirl or did she just come in and do a "drive-by posting?"

She signed up about 6 months ago, posted once, then posted again and disappeared.  Drive by poster is probably accurate.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 08:00:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42