What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help selecting a new hot-tub / jacuzzi  (Read 4605 times)

r2d2ob1

Help selecting a new hot-tub / jacuzzi
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:06:31 pm »
We want to put a new hot-tub / jacuzzi in our guest house. We are putting a jacuzzi / hot-tub on the second floor of our guest cottage so it is not on grade.

I would like a concrete jacuzzi / hot-tub custom built like they have in spas etc. that you visit and even though I had explained this to the architect, he has a Kohler hot-tub spec'ed out.
A couple of problems - I am being told that the second floor will need to be re-enforced to take the weight adding costs and my pool person is telling me that premanufactured hot-tubs are the way to go as they have better jets etc. Can somebody with more experience tell me the diff. between premanufactured and trying to build one.
Somebody on another forum suggested to check out this site
http://www.galaxy-aquatics.com/index.html
They are fiberglass shells, and some have a tile finish.

We have a 6ft square area for the jacuzzi.

I have a 2 part questions
1) Between premanufactured and trying to build a jacuzzi what is better
2) What are the top of the line models / companies. I am completely clueless so pardon my ignorance.

Hot Tub Forum

Help selecting a new hot-tub / jacuzzi
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:06:31 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Help selecting a new hot-tub / jacuzzi
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 10:30:42 pm »
I'll try to help you out a bit.  

First of all, Jacuzzi is a brand of hot tubs and bath tubs.  It is not a generic term.  You are mentioning a Kohler hot tub spec'd out by your architect.  Kohler does not build hot tubs, but rather jetted bath tubs.  There is a big difference.

As to opinions on a built in concrete spa versus a "pre-manufactured" hot tub (we simply call them hot tubs or portable spas), your builder is correct.  You will get much more therapeutic effect with a portable spa.  They are designed to contour to your body and help you be comfortable while sitting in the hot water.  In addition, the jets are designed for therapeutic purposes.  You will find that the portable spas with a variety of types of jets will give you the best therapy.  

There are spas out there that will try and wow you with how many jets they have.  Don't be fooled by that.  When they tout how many jets they have, they are typically hiding the fact that most of their jets are the same and are not going to give you a variety.

As to brands, there are a number that are well thought of in the industry.  I will list some in no particular order:

Sundance
Jacuzzi
Hot Spring
Caldera
Marquis
Dimension One

Sundance and Jacuzzi are made by one company as are Hot Spring and Caldera.  

You will find all of these spas are very well made.

One thing we emphasize on this forum is that you should wet test the spa you are thinking of buying.  You may find a spa you really like, then wet test it only to find out you don't like the way it feels.  However, the truth is, most people don't wet test and are pretty happy.  I agree with wet testing and think you should do it.

Also, make sure you check out your dealer.  You can have a spa made by the best manufacturer but have a bad dealer.  You'll want to check the BBB, references, etc.  Make sure they have a reputation for good customer service.

Come back to the forum often while shopping.  There are dealers and consumers on here that can help you with the dealer perspective and the consumer perspective.

Good luck.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

r2d2ob1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:14:11 pm »
We live in Las Vegas and somebody mentioned Artesian. Should we go with a local brand then?

Water Boy

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:39:04 am »

As to brands, there are a number that are well thought of in the industry.  I will list some in no particular order:

Sundance
Jacuzzi
Hot Spring
Caldera
Marquis
Dimension One

Sundance and Jacuzzi are made by one company as are Hot Spring and Caldera.  

You will find all of these spas are very well made.

I would also clump Arctic Spas into that list as well. The link I attached is from a third party rating service from existing customers who have owned all of these spas, so this is based on current customers and their experience with that brand of spa! Hope this helps!

http://www.spasearch.org/topspas.php

Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:11:18 pm »
We live in Las Vegas and somebody mentioned Artesian. Should we go with a local brand then?

You want a local dealer.  Spas are manufactured across the country and some in Canada.  

As far as Artesian, they are a decent brand, but, in my opinion, there are better brands out there.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:11:36 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

r2d2ob1

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:03:25 pm »
Wow, love this forum. I already know a lot more than yesterday thanks to both of you guys / gals.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 01:37:09 pm »
Wow, love this forum. I already know a lot more than yesterday thanks to both of you guys / gals.

Welcome.  I'm sure you will find our users willing to help and genuinely interested to know how the process goes for you.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 01:56:58 pm »
A couple of thoughts:

1) You mentioned that you're keeping this in a guest cottage. Be aware that a portable hot tub is generally left filled with water, and therefore will need regular checkups on the water condition. They are not drained and refilled for each use.

2) A portable hot tub, because of the chlorinated water, will need to be in a well ventilated area.

3) You mentioned that you have a 6' square area. This is generally too small for most portable hot tubs, which are usually 7' to 8' in length.

4) If you really want your guests to be able to soak in a terrific jetted spa of some kind, you might reconsider your plan to put it upstairs and inside (I assume in a bathroom?). You could put a portable spa right outside the guest cottage, on a porch or deck. A smaller tub or shower inside would also not require you to structurally reinforce the floor in the guest cottage. Many people really prefer using a hot tub outside, and it would eliminate any need for extra ventilation for an indoor tub.

5) And I really hate to ask this one... For those of you who would not put Artesian in that upper ranking of spas - why not? I have heard a lot of good things about them from others in the industry - they may not be "top tier" like Hot Spring or Sundance, but I've heard that they are very close to that. Would you disagree?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 02:11:39 pm »
 I wouldn't disagree with you  Artesian builds a very nice spa, comparable to Jacuzzi,Sundance and Hotspring  Arctic  and many others.  

Cdn HockeyPuck

• '08 Artesian Platinum Cypress Point'
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:03:06 am »
I love my Arteisan Spas, I have to say it's the best spa I've ever owned!  ;)

But to be honest it is the only spa I've ever owned  :D

If you want a good opinion about looking at an Artesian in Las Vegas send a PM to Swell-Tub, he went though the whole look, even went to the factory where it's made, he had nothing bad to say to me about the hottub, I think it all came down to personal preference or another reason.
Dave

"The needs of many great soaks out way the needs of a few... or the one."

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:08:59 am »
I love my Arteisan Spas, I have to say it's the best spa I've ever owned!  ;)

But to be honest it is the only spa I've ever owned  :D

If you want a good opinion about looking at an Artesian in Las Vegas send a PM to Swell-Tub, he went though the whole look, even went to the factory where it's made, he had nothing bad to say to me about the hottub, I think it all came down to personal preference or another reason.
I did tour the Artesian factory in North Las Vegas. The factory was very impressive. I would have bought one but I got a better deal on a Jacuzzi and I liked the Jacuzzi jets. Artesian had what I thought was a good idea was the five smaller pumps so that each seat had it's own pump. Anyway I can't say anything bad about them because what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. ;D
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:08:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42