What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub mold issue?  (Read 2424 times)

mader

Hot tub mold issue?
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »
Hey all,

I've been a happy tubber for 3 years now.  I got a new cover recently (rhtubs cover), and it was a huge improvement in escaping heat/water vapors.

Maybe too good?

Now I am noticing mold/mildew growing around some knobs and the waterfall jet.  Best I can tell, its growing where plastic meets the shell.  I'm getting some spots on the underside of the cover as well.  Seems like the new cover doesn't vent much.  Is that bad?

Perhaps unrelatedly, I also have noticed black dust/dirt on some sections of the spa seats.  If I take a paper towel to it it will wipe off.  What is that from?

Other Info:  Sanitizer is bromine tabs.  Water chemicals are good.  Water clarity is very good.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:58:16 pm by mader »

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub mold issue?
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot tub mold issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:43 pm »
How often are you cleaning the surfaces?

My advice is when you do your weekly shock to use that water to clean around the areas and the cover.

Or you can use a solution of bleach and water to get it clean.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 03:04:45 pm »
Mold will only grow where there is  a lack of sanitizer, the new cover did not play a role I do not think. You want them tight.

Personally i would super shock your tub, maybe even do a decontamination process to rid the mold.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Eco_Spas

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:34:08 pm »
   The new cover is definetly not the problem, one thing you dont want to have your cover do is vent. All that does is allow heat to escape and cool the water down. Which in turn causes the heater to work harder and use more energy.

'GREEN' ENGINEER

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:34:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42