What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: is it necessary?  (Read 2212 times)

Memories_Galore

is it necessary?
« on: February 15, 2009, 02:14:10 pm »
I am the only person using my hot tub, is it still necessary to keep the chlorine at the right level?  

The water was changed in late November, is crystal clear and the chemicals are still right.  I only used the tub once since the water change.  I have been unable to use it because of health problems.  When I can use it again, ( soon I hope ), do I have to do a water change again even though I only used it once?

Thank you all.

Hot Tub Forum

is it necessary?
« on: February 15, 2009, 02:14:10 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: is it necessary?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:46:11 pm »
Unfortunately the answer is - yes you have to keep the tub's water in good condition or have it professionally closed.

If you don't maintain the tub a couple of things will happen.

Bacteria will eventually grow and cause a biofilm on the tub's surface and plumbing. If your tub never got cloudy or really cloudy consider yourself fortunate! It's not pleasant smelling and it requires you to really disinfect everything in the tub. The way to take care of this is to add about 50 to 100 PPM chlorine and run the pumps for about an hour, drain and refill. you need to clean every part of the tub and cover and probably use a product such as swirl away to clean the plumbing once it's disinfected. It affects the filters as well - may need new filters.

The other problem is the PH can drift up or down causing problems with the tub itself. Improper PH will eat away or put deposits on almost everyting in the tub.

My advice is to lower the temp and maintain it until you can use it again or until warmer weather comes around and freezing pipes won't happen at which time you can drain the tub.

benalexe

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:11:26 pm »
I wondered this too.. I changed the wate in late november too.  Can I push it to April to change the water again?

I usually add 2 oz dichlor weekly.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:51:01 am »
I wondered this too.. I changed the wate in late november too.  Can I push it to April to change the water again?

I usually add 2 oz dichlor weekly.

That is what I am hoping to do.  When we did get a warm weekend, I bailed out about 100 gallons and replaced it, while cleaning the filters.  It can be done.  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Flyonthewall

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:28:34 pm »
a tip for people not using the spa while still doing the weekly chlorine shock.  make sure you run all jet pumps while doing so.  i have seen where people run a jet pump to circulate the chemical, only to find the dreaded mold when they fire up the other pump.  this also matters for diverter valves as well.  turn them to each position, or set them on a middle position that utilizes all jet lines.  (i have found spa system flush to be the best).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:29:43 pm by Flyonthewall »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:28:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42