What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Where do you buy your chemicals in bulk?  (Read 6551 times)

p951

Where do you buy your chemicals in bulk?
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:12:54 pm »
I'm looking to purchase some bulk Bioguard Lithium Hypochlorite along with a decent size container of FreshWater Stain & Scale remover and a package of silver ion sanitizers.  Where can I find these items in bulk.  MY dealer has them, but he only carries the 5lb Lithium Hypochlorite and only the 16oz stain and scale remover.  I'd prefer to purchase in bulk to help cut down on the costs and also the trips - I'm about 10 miles away from him.  So, where does everyone buy their spa chemicals.  

Owner 2008 HotSprings Envoy, fully optioned out with a NorthEast Cal Spas Gazebo (Smoke Roof - Synthetic wood)

I'd like to attach a picture of my setup, but I don't see how to.  Any guidance on this issue is appreciated

Hot Tub Forum

Where do you buy your chemicals in bulk?
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:12:54 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Where do you buy your chemicals in bulk?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:09:12 am »
Doesn't a 5 lb container of Lithium Hypochlorite alreadty last a long time? That seems like a bulk amount to me in the first place. How often are you having to buy this and much do you use?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 12:24:05 am »
Doesn't a 5 lb container of Lithium Hypochlorite alreadty last a long time? That seems like a bulk amount to me in the first place. How often are you having to buy this and much do you use?

I was thinking the same thing. The 5 lb container is pretty damn big.......

Anybody else here prefer Lithium over dichlor? I started out using Lithium but I realized you have to add more material and it cost more per pound than dichlor.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 10:06:40 am »
See if your dealer will give you a case price for the items.  If he cannot, PM me and I will see what I can do for you.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

p951

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 09:56:38 pm »

Yep, it lasts a bit.  I'm almost half way through my 5 lb jar and I 've had my spa about 3 months.  I just have the money and want to save $100+.  If I pay $50 for a 5 lb jar and I can get a 25lb jar for $150 -  do the math.  The return on that is much better than I can get on any investment (And that return is a guaranteed return)

p951

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:57:53 pm »
See if your dealer will give you a case price for the items.  If he cannot, PM me and I will see what I can do for you.

A case is too much - I want the 25lb tub

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 10:30:21 pm »
A case is 4 5# bottles.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 11:03:34 am »
At 2.5 lbs of lithium in three months, your TDS must be sky high.  Lithium is the most expensive chlorine with one of the lowest actual chlorine content.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 11:14:54 am »

Yep, it lasts a bit.  I'm almost half way through my 5 lb jar and I 've had my spa about 3 months.  I just have the money and want to save $100+.  If I pay $50 for a 5 lb jar and I can get a 25lb jar for $150 -  [glow]do the math[/glow].  The return on that is much better than I can get on any investment (And that return is a guaranteed return)

No one told me there would be math involved but OK, I'll do the math.

You said you're almost half way through the first 5 lb jar in 3 months so if you get the 25 lb jar it will last you 2˝ years and you'll save $100 in that time frame which equates to $3.33/month. You'll of course have to put more $$ up front, there may be shipping involved and I'm not sure of the difference in tax so its difficult to be exact so lets just say its about $3/month savings. It won't pay for a new car but what the heck, save where you can.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:19:00 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:10:00 pm »
I've never used lithium before (personally or for a spa) Is there a point where you can't use it before it goes bad. For my spa, I am beginning to wonder if the 5lb of dichlor loses any potency before I use it all.  It's sort of like a can of ground coffee, you can detect a difference in the smell opening a new or old can.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 03:57:02 pm »
Found this on Wiki  :)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_granular_chlorine_have_a_shelf_life

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_chlorine_have_a_shelf_life

That answer says it has a 1 year shelf life.  I think I'm currently getting around 4 months or so (will have pay closer attention) out of a 5lb jar.  )
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 05:13:46 pm »

That answer says it has a 1 year shelf life.  I think I'm currently getting around 4 months or so (will have pay closer attention) out of a 5lb jar.  )

However, that is shelf life.  The real question is how fast it degrades after it has been opened and exposed to air.  My understanding is it degrades every time you open the bottle.  Just don't know how much or how fast.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 02:17:53 pm »
The real question is how fast it degrades after it has been opened and exposed to air.  ...  Just don't know how much or how fast.

A lot, and fast.

Keep a few month's supply. Beyond that you are actually losing money.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 02:17:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42