What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used Hot Tub:  Am I off base?  (Read 3719 times)

aasukisuki

Used Hot Tub:  Am I off base?
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:47:43 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, but after reading through some of the posts this seems to be a very informed and helpful group.  My wife and I are looking to buy our first hot tub.  We've already had our home wired with a 240V hookup in the location where we want the tub, now we just have to find one!  We have set a budget of $3000 for a hot tub.

A local dealer has a used 7seat 2004 cal spa for sell for $2995  (The dealer is not a cal spa dealer, so they obviously took it on trade).  While this tub doesn't have everything we were looking for (no lounger) it's pretty close.  We have been working off and on with a salesman/co-owner from this particular company for a few months now, but it seems like every time we talk to him he tries to push us into a tub that is out of our budget range.  There are a couple things holding us back from buying this tub:

1) The tub is in a different state.  He says they can have it here locally in about a week.  This isn't a deal breaker, but I've read time and time again not to buy a used tub without seeing it in action.
2)  While the tub is priced within our budget, the added delivery fee would take us out of it.  They are charging around $450 to deliver the tub and set it where we want it (does not include hooking it up to our existing 240V hookup).
3)  The price does include a cover, but no other accessories.  No steps, chemicals, extra filters, etc.  Again, this isn't even close to being a real issue, just a "nice to have".

Am I way out of bounds if I offer the dealer $3000  for the tub, delivery and accessories?

Edit:  Forgot to add we'll be paying for this in cash, for what that's worth these days.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:49:14 am by aasukisuki »

Hot Tub Forum

Used Hot Tub:  Am I off base?
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:47:43 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Used Hot Tub:  Am I off base?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 12:17:52 pm »
A four year old spa taken on trade for a new one? Why was it traded after only four years? Did the previous owners just want to up grade to something bigger or with more options? Or were there so many problems and issues they just wanted it gone?

Frequently the savings over a new spa will far outweigh the lack of warranty and any possible repairs you may need to pay for out of pocket. Still, it's a gamble, but the odds are very high in your favor. Is the dealer willing to warrant it for some period of time? Even 30 days would be desirable.

There are disadvantages to paying by cash. Yes, it will save the dealer a few $ over a credit card (only $40 - $75), but it also diminishes your options should something go wrong (you can't use the credit cards advantage of being able to dispute the charges)

It can never hurt to make a serious offer. Worst that can happen is the dealer will say "no".
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 12:30:00 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums
1) The tub is in a different state.  He says they can have it here locally in about a week.  This isn't a deal breaker, but I've read time and time again not to buy a used tub without seeing it in action.

Edit:  Forgot to add we'll be paying for this in cash, for what that's worth these days.

NEVER buy ANYTHING you can't at least see an example of.  Even a 4-year old product could have a LOT of problems.  Imaging getting it and then realizing it was a bad decision.  Paying cash is good but can also be bad (in this case) as you have little recourse should the tub have any significant problems.  So, even if you CAN pay cash, you may not want too.  $3K is pretty pricey for a used unit.  You can find them on craiglist for $2,500 often times.  However, make CERTAIN to ask this forum about the ones you are considering.  Many of us have seen all the scams.  People selling "new" units out of storage areas and "claiming" that the retail is $7K but that they can sell them to you for $3,500 because they have no "overhead costs" is simply a scam.  What they are REALLY selling is a $3,000 hot tub for $3,500 and they are making $500 on each one they sell.  Buy a name brand.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:03:02 pm »
Hi everyone,

And that's always been my advice but if you get it from a dealer with a 60 day warranty that's ok too. I would only buy a used spa if I could see it in operation or if it had a dealer warranty. If these guys waiver on the warranty I'd be out.

2)  While the tub is priced within our budget, the added delivery fee would take us out of it.  They are charging around $450 to deliver the tub and set it where we want it (does not include hooking it up to our existing 240V hookup).

That delivery fee is high because the spa isn't local. Should you have to pay the extra because the spa is not local? I wouldn't want to, I'd want to split that in half if I were negotiating.

3)  The price does include a cover, but no other accessories.  No steps, chemicals, extra filters, etc.  Again, this isn't even close to being a real issue, just a "nice to have".

I shoot for a set of steps, anything: used or just the cheapest, simplest plastic type.

Am I way out of bounds if I offer the dealer $3000  for the tub, delivery and accessories?

I would always TRY to get a better deal, especially in this case IMO. All they can say is no and while I haven’t seen it I'm not sure I'd pay $3450 for a 2004 Cal from a dealer who doesn't sell Cal (how helpful will they be when issues arrive later; will they say "we've never worked on Cals, we're not sure how to help you"). There isn't going to be a mad rush from other customers to buy that spa. Take your time, they want the sale as much or more than you want the spa.

I'd pay with CC and use my cash to pay off my CC. It always helps to have the security of paying with CC.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:11:55 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 10:16:04 am »
aasukisuki as always....."it depends"

everyone's budget, handiness, needs, and expectations are different

It can also depend on where you live.

If you live in or near a big city of course you will have a lot more options as far as the used hot tub market.

If you're not in a hurry, are careful, become an educated buyer, you can patiently watch
CraigsList and probably get a very nice used hot tub well within or below the budget you stated.

Is a used hot tub a new hot tub?...LOL...well obviously not....just like a used car is not a new car.

If you are careful and patient and live in a big city, you can find what you want.

Look at this from today in the Dallas Craigslist: (with new ads almost daily)

Hot Springs Sovereign model (4-6 person) wilth retractable top, step,
new in 2001, good operating condition, good appearance, clean, new cost
would be $9500. List of full specs and features available upon request,
e-mail today or call 214 384 2297. Price is $2150 OBO
[/b]

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/1015092778.html

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:22:35 pm by Zep »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:50:40 pm »
I would add as a condition that the cover is not waterlogged. A waterlogged cover is a liability that you will have to replace soon.  A waterlogged cover is one of the biggest reasons not to go out and use the tub.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:50:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42