What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: recessing tub  (Read 10149 times)

WD40

recessing tub
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:14:28 am »
Good morning folks,

Starting a big back yard project. Does anyone have an opinion or expertise about recessing a tub about 20 inches into the ground? I will have 24 inches access around the unit. How about natural gas vs. electric. Nevada Power has a monopoly and the rates are very high.

Thx

WD

We've been looking at lots of different units and manufacturers-the information is overwhelming.

Hot Tub Forum

recessing tub
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:14:28 am »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Re: recessing tub
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:25:02 am »
WD40 welcome......

since it's going in the ground what are your plans on keeping water out of the hole?

my brother has a semi-inground tub in Colorado, but he designed his where gravity keeps the hole mostly drained, but he also has a pump in the hole in case of water build-up or heavy rain.

i love the look of in-ground, in fact I really wanted an in-ground tub because I generally do not like the look of most hot tubs....but after they came out with the rock looking siding for hot tubs I decided it would be much easier than in-ground.

there are some issues involved with in-ground, but if money is no object and you do it right.....it is really nice.

here's my brother's in-ground:

short video:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/ItsZep/JulyAug07/?action=view&current=JulyAug07074.flv

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:27:10 am by Zep »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:29:49 am »
Very nive inground set up your brother has Zep. The other big issue with ingrounds is access to all the side to be able to deal with any issues it may have. Looks like your brother has made this tub very easy to get at to work on if needed.

Did he get  a specially designed cover to accomodate the ladder?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:30:54 am by Hillbilly_Hot_Tub »
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Zep

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:37:35 am »
Hillbilly..thanks......his is a Sundance and he's never had much trouble.

As you can see he built one side with removeable deck so he can easily
get in there if he needs to. The other three sides would be a bit more difficult,
it may have been best to have the cap on the other sides just a little wider in
case he ever needed in there.

Like you advise, people need to really think about these issues before
the project and have someone that is familiar with in-ground issues
do the project.

Somebody told me once they had seen an in-ground tub pop up
out of the hole because water accumulated under the tub. All
the issues can be mastered, but most people just don't wanna
deal with it and either go for the free-standing or recess in a deck
which have less issues to think about.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:38:37 am by Zep »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:55:52 am »
While total in ground spas look very nice for practical purposes I persoanlly would instead go with a partial in-ground where the spa is about 18" above the outside pad. This makes it much easier to get in and out of the spa and you'll be able to put a cover lifter on easily.

You will need to make sure you have full access to the service area, typically the front. If your energy rates are high its even more imperative that you get a spa that is well insulated.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

WD40

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 11:51:56 am »
WD40 welcome......

since it's going in the ground what are your plans on keeping water out of the hole?

my brother has a semi-inground tub in Colorado, but he designed his where gravity keeps the hole mostly drained, but he also has a pump in the hole in case of water build-up or heavy rain.

i love the look of in-ground, in fact I really wanted an in-ground tub because I generally do not like the look of most hot tubs....but after they came out with the rock looking siding for hot tubs I decided it would be much easier than in-ground.

there are some issues involved with in-ground, but if money is no object and you do it right.....it is really nice.

here's my brother's in-ground:

short video:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/ItsZep/JulyAug07/?action=view&current=JulyAug07074.flv

Very nice job-this is the look I'd like to have-maybe have  the tub out of the ground about 18-20 inches with a one step deck around the tub. One manufacturer told me to leave at least 18 inches around the tub for panel access. As far as water-it does not rain much in Vegas but I though a sump pump would take care of any excess water. The tub is going under a lattice patio so it will have some protection. I've seen in ground units that have no cabinet and are made to go directly into the ground but the install seems more complicated. Seems the easier solution is to dig a big shallow hole and set a portable in the hole.

Any suggestions on the best bang for the buck spa would be greatly appreciated.

Zep

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:16:59 pm »
WD40....here are some in-ground pics I collected.

Zep

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:05:18 pm »
and a few more:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:07:37 pm by Zep »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:05:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42