What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What happens if you get PH lock?  (Read 6478 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
What happens if you get PH lock?
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:28:53 pm »
It seems that my PH has locked at around the 6.7 range and my total alk is around 140  

what does it mean when the PH locks?  is there a way to fix it or do you need to change the water?  I use Dichlor btw..

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

What happens if you get PH lock?
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:28:53 pm »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: What happens if you get PH lock?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:48:54 am »
What are you using to raise the PH? Are you using just ALK increaser(ie baking soda?)
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 12:09:44 pm »
it's called SpaGuard PH Increaser

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:15:25 pm »
You are using the right stuff, sodium carbonate.  How much are you using?  How many gallons do you have?  How old is the water?  Do you live somewhere where it is not frozen so you can change the water if needed?

So many questions... ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 12:38:17 pm »
live in jersey it's frozen here!  been 3 months on this water thus far..  use only Dichlor every day, MPS once a week and run an N2 cartrige too.  375 gallons, Sundance Altamar spa with ozonator.  Spa is in my two car garage.

it seems lately that my Alk was high, so I lowered with PH decreaser.  Alk is now around 100 ppm, but PH is low around 6.5.  Just added 3 tablespoons of PH increaser this morning.  Hopefully that will raise the PH into the 7.2 range but then my Alk is probably going to go way up into the 170ppm range again.  I can't seem to keep the Alk low and get the PH higher without affecting both!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:47:11 am »
Airating the water will help raise the PH without raising the ALK.  The other issue you may have is your CYA. If you use Di-chlor daily, in 3 months the CYA will be high, thus your chlorine will not be effective in sanitizing and this may be the cause for your PH issues. What is your CYA reading?

PH and ALK will both be affected when adjusting them, nothing you are doing wrong. They can become somewhat of a pain at times depending on what else is going on in the water.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:47:35 pm »
yeah I should go get my water tested.. my aquacheck digital doesn't do CYA testing..

so I guess I should run the tub with the air blower for the air bubbles on for a while?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 12:47:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42