What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is the salesman scamming me?  (Read 9460 times)

michiganwinter

Is the salesman scamming me?
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:45:40 pm »
Hi all,

I have been looking at a Sundance Majesta and like it a lot (want the Optima but it doesn't fit in the space). Went over to the HotSpring dealer to compare products and was told that Sundance is going bankrupt and that it likely will be hard to find replacement parts. Was also told that running a Sundance costs a lot more per month than the HotSpring.

Just doing some digging because I may well be getting the salesman's song and dance, but figure you all would have some ideas as well. I like the Sundance line a lot better so far but can be swayed with good rationale.

Please shed light on the situation if you know anything.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Is the salesman scamming me?
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:45:40 pm »

MarKee

Re: Is the salesman scamming me?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 04:04:40 pm »
I doubt Sundance is going bankrupt, but I did hear that they moved most of their operations to Mexico a few months ago.

Micah

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 05:47:15 pm »
michiganwinter,

You are in a very unique position.  You have the ability to help that hot springs dealer get rid of a "bad apple".   I'm sure that the owner of that store doesn't realize he has a lying idiot representing his/her company.  After you purchase your Sundance, I hope you will write the H.S. dealer a letter.  Explain to the owner and salesman that you know he lied to you.  And if he lies about his competition, how do you know that he isn't lying about everything else.  
 The sad thing is that H.S. is a very good product.  The salesman had no need to lie to you.  It's OK, you get to get even...Don't buy into his lies, and don't buy his spa.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:48:16 pm by Micah »
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 06:25:48 pm »
michiganwinter,

You are in a very unique position.  You have the ability to help that hot springs dealer get rid of a "bad apple".   I'm sure that the owner of that store doesn't realize he has a lying idiot representing his/her company.  After you purchase your Sundance, I hope you will write the H.S. dealer a letter.  Explain to the owner and salesman that you know he lied to you.  And if he lies about his competition, how do you know that he isn't lying about everything else.  
 The sad thing is that H.S. is a very good product.  The salesman had no need to lie to you.  It's OK, you get to get even...Don't buy into his lies, and don't buy his spa.

I completley agree.  Everything being told to you is a lie.  The dealer I purchased from sells both HotSprings and Sundance so I get to see and hear of both manufacturers on a regular basis.  On top of it all, Sundance is owned by Jacuzzi so unless Jacuzzi goes under...............

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:25:55 pm »
"moved most of their operations to Mexico a few months ago"

Is this in fact true?......Did Sundance move to Mexico?

prpty

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:43:07 pm »
I have found the two Hot Springs dealers I went to were extremely competent and helpful.  I agree that you should notify the owner as I can't believe he would put up with such shenanigans.  Both brands Hot Springs and Sundance are both quality units.  Good Luck in finding the tub that fits you best!

Chubby Johnson

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 08:50:43 am »
Was this one of the Lifestyles stores?  I live in MI too and was less than impressed with their salesmen.  Sometimes I think they strive to deliver a high pressure sales pitch.

michiganwinter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:59:01 am »
Yes, as a matter of fact it was.

I was really sad about this as I don't want to have an unpleasant buying experience, nor do I want to buy a tub where I can't get replacement parts. I just want someone to be honest with me.  The Sundance dealer leaves me with a very good feeling; a small family run business in business for over 30-years. The salesman at the HS store told me they just started selling the Sundance and don't know what they are doing, which doesn't seem true from testimonials I have found on the web, or what the owners have said.

At this point I am so turned off by the HS dealer that I won't even go back in there.

I really prefer to shop locally and support a local business, but also have to look out for myself.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 10:14:28 am »
"moved most of their operations to Mexico a few months ago"

Is this in fact true?......Did Sundance move to Mexico?

Yes this is true: This being said I would buy the Hot Spring that has been made in the same plant for many years, Than to be part of Sundances "learning curve" in their new factory. I do not want anyone to be learning how to build a spa when it is to be in my yard for years to come.

Good Luck!
-SpaMan~

BubbaGump

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:02:27 am »
Yes, as a matter of fact it was.

I was really sad about this as I don't want to have an unpleasant buying experience, nor do I want to buy a tub where I can't get replacement parts. I just want someone to be honest with me.  The Sundance dealer leaves me with a very good feeling; a small family run business in business for over 30-years. The salesman at the HS store told me they just started selling the Sundance and don't know what they are doing, which doesn't seem true from testimonials I have found on the web, or what the owners have said.

At this point I am so turned off by the HS dealer that I won't even go back in there.

I really prefer to shop locally and support a local business, but also have to look out for myself.

As a guy who sells cars for a living, and not the high pressure way, I would ask you.  If you want the "name your brand here" and you met a bad egg in sales, would you not go to another dealer of the same brand?  Its sad to hear that you had a bad experience with a salesperson, and I would send this person to "re-education camp" if they worked for me.  

I would tell anyone that came into my store that had an experience like that to go back and tell the owner/manager.  I would also tell them to "test drive" the car anyway because salespeople in my industry come and go, you will have the vehicle for at least a few years.  I want them to be happy with their purchase, even if that means they buy the other car.

michiganwinter

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 11:05:02 am »
I would if I could find another dealer....same company seems to have all of SE MI.

Good advice, though!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 11:34:45 am »
I have to wonder if the sales person was talking about the other dealer and not Sundance the manufacturer. I'd ask the owner/manager what the salesperson was talking about.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:35:49 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Micah

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 12:28:15 pm »
I have to wonder if the sales person was talking about the other dealer and not Sundance the manufacturer. I'd ask the owner/manager what the salesperson was talking about.
To make the claim that "getting replacement parts will be hard" tells me that he was not talking about the local dealer, but about the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:29:05 pm by Micah »
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

michiganwinter

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 12:31:14 pm »
He wasn't talking about the Sundance dealer, he was talking about Sundance itself. I did see a previous bankruptcy (averted?) before they were purchased by the current private equity firm. He also said that Jacuzzi was in the same boat. He also said that the company Insideout had gone under, but I found them on the web in Ohio. I'll see if they are still in business too as that will be telling.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 12:49:10 pm »
 To put this to an end, Jacuzzi and Sundance are not going anywhere!  You will be able to get parts via service from your dealer, the spa's being built are fine.  From what I understand after just talking to Jacuzzi literally minuets ago, the only thing being manufactured in Mexico is the shell, the rest of the spa is then built at the  Jacuzzi/Sundance factory.  They factory in Mexico is ISO9000 from what they told me.

The only thing you should worry about is your dealer which sounds like they have been around awhile.

Either way if you want the Sundance dont let some BS Hotspring salesman or any other dealer tell you any different!!   The Majesta is a nice spa!  

I'm off today, so see you guys Tuesday.    Say thanks to a Veteran!!                  Your Welcome!!  ;)

And THANKS to any of you that might be!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 12:49:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42