What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time faint  (Read 4392 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
First time faint
« on: January 04, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »
So I am a 3 year hot tub owner and I have to admit that I have really decreased the amount of soaks that I do.  I have comitted myself to soaking more and more because I dont use it as much.  

So I have found a new appreciation for the tub again.  Today during the day, I finished painting a bathroom for my dad and came back home for a soak with a buddy helping me.

Tub was 104, it was cold, not freezing cold but cold.  I went out for 20 min or so and got out of the tub.  As soon as I got out I felt really dizzy.  I got in the house and crashed on the couch and blacked out for a few moments.

That was the very first time this has happened.  I think it was due to me not eating enough food today or something.

Hot Tub Forum

First time faint
« on: January 04, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: First time faint
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 06:26:29 pm »
OR...it may have had something to do with the paint you used in a small closed in area.
I am very sensitive to paints, even the ones that are supposedly low odor. I know I have become dizzy when painting a closed area...that is especially true in the winter when the windows are closed. I think you become desensitized to the odor and don't realize you are inhaling lots of fumes..

Well that is just my thought. Hope you are feeling better
Support your dealer so they can support you!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:01:42 pm »
I have been left with a major headache for the rest of the night.  That spoils my hot quiet soak with the Misses and some Baileys.

I have never really been effected by paint or the heat of the tub.  I honestly think it was due to a lack of food in my system today.

Who knows, kind of scary thought.            

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:48:19 pm »
Bosco.....it couldn't hurt to get a physical....how old are you?...Are you over-weight or diabetic?

"Too much time in heated water can cause dizziness, nausea, and fainting"
http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=180&q=234671

Heart Disease and Hot Tubs
If you suffer from any diagnosed heart disease, you may have been prescribed anticoagulant drugs.
These are used to thin the blood but they can also make you susceptible to temperature extremes.
The heat of the hot tub can combine with the medications causing you to become dizzy,
nauseated or even faint

http://www.homelivinganswers.com/hot-tubs/hot-tub-health-issues.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081205220246AAp3keP

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 11:35:21 pm »
I wouldnt count myself as over weight, I have recently lost some weight that had found me over the year.  And no heart issues.

Maybe I should go and get checked out.  Now you got me all paranoid.  Thanks for the links

Zep

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:53:13 pm »
sorry Bosco....I doubt it was anything....but I had a good friend only
43 years old last year at our tailgate get real dizzy when he got up
out of lawn chair....he went to the hospital later that evening and
ended up with a quad-bi-pass.....he had blockage he was not
aware of.....better to be safe than sorry.....but again I doubt
yours is anything more than a one time hicup. good luck
and keep us informed....ps: your dizziness is a great
example of why someone shouldn't soak alone...if you
had fainted in the tub alone...well....gosh thats scary!

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:50:58 am »
I was going to post a similar story a few weeks ago, but never did.

My wife lost her job so she's home during the day.  She goes for long walks daily and then comes home and soaks.  The week before the Holidays, she had a nasty migraine which lasted a couple days in which she did basically nothing including not eating much if anything.  She begins to feel better and decidies to go out and soak in the tub hoping it would relax her.  Our tub is at 101*.  She begins to feel dizzy so she starts to get out of the tub.  That's the last thing she remembers.  Next thing she knows she wakes up and she's lying on our patio next to the tub.  Aside from a few bruises, she was fine.  She has no idea how long she was lying there.

Talked her in to visiting the doctor and he sent her for blood work.  Everything came back fine.  He imagines that she was just weak from the migraine and from not eating or drinking for 2 days and the heat from the tub was just too much.  Needless to say, she no longer plans to use the hot tub alone.  At least for now.

Not enough to scare me off though, as I continue to use the tub alone.  Usually late at night after working out and everyone else is getting ready for bed.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 02:20:17 pm »
I dont mind using the tub alone, infact I have had scary moments in the tub.  I use to soak after working night shift in the early morning.  I have a stressful job some would say and it helps me unwind before sleeping during the day.  

Well one morning I fell deep into a deep sleep in the tub.  I was out for 2 hours before I was woken up by the neighbour who thought that I was dead. The only saving graced for me was the contoured seating of my arctic spa, that is what kept me in place without drowning.  

I am convinced that it was diet, not eating enough during the day.  I have been lowering my calorie intake over the past little bit, maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, lets hope that it doesnt happen again.

Zep

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »
"The only saving graced for me was the contoured seating of my arctic
spa, that is what kept me in place without drowning"

Bosco.....my brother and I have "argued/discussed" that very subject

i guess you agree with him

he thinks there's a good chance if someone fell asleep in a tub and slipped
under the water they would drown.....

i say if someone is asleep in a hot tub and slips under the water they
would most likely be jolted awake and not drown.....

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 03:16:47 pm »
I agree Zep, unless you were under the influence of medication or alcohol, you should wake up. Think about it, you can be in a deep deep sleep but when you have the urge to use the bathroom, you wake up. So why wouldn't you react to your face going under water? It probably isn't worth finding out though. I have fallen asleep for very short periods in the tub..but I can fall asleep anyplace. (like sitting at this darn computer) :o!

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Tanod

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 09:42:23 pm »
I think 104 is too hot .. we keep ours 101/102 in the winter .. your body is heating up gradually.  You likely blacked out because of painting and not eating as much but I think the temperature definitely contributed.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 09:42:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42