What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leaving for 2 week - lowest safe temp for tub?  (Read 6318 times)

jenC

Leaving for 2 week - lowest safe temp for tub?
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:35:26 am »
We're headed out of town for 2 weeks. We want to turn the temp down to as low as possible since we won't be here.  How low can we set it without worrying about any sort of bacteria problems?  I'm in Illinois and it's very cold here.

Thanks
Jen

Hot Tub Forum

Leaving for 2 week - lowest safe temp for tub?
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:35:26 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Leaving for 2 week - lowest safe temp for tub?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 08:56:31 am »
Leaving a spa unsupervised this time of year in your climate for that amount of time is not wise. Your best bet would be to have a friend, family member, neighbor, etc check on your spa once or twice a week making sure it's still getting power. You might even want to consider having some premeasured doses of dichlor available for them to toss in. Regarding the temp...If it's going to be monitored by someone, turn down to 90 or so. If not, leave it be. This will 'buy' you a few more days in case you do lose power for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:59:50 am by WHY_NOT »

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:24:26 am »
I left for a 2-week carribean vacation about one month ago...and rather than relying on someone to stop by...I decided to drain it and refilled it immediately when we got back. It depends on your circumstances.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 06:10:30 pm »
I've left my spa for up to two weeks during winter.  I give a shock dose of chlorine and drop the temp to 90.  Always come back to clear water with no issues.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:22:45 pm »
I just got back from a vacation!
Before i left, i gave it an extra dose of bromine.
Water was in perfect condition!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:18:49 pm »
I know its after the fact now, but when I leave for that long in winter I leave the tub at its high temp figuring if the tub does lose power that is a couple more hours of cushion before it hits the damage point.   When you aren't using the spa the heater doesn't come on that often assuming the lid remains closed.  I do turn down my filter time from 4 hours a day to 2.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:18:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42