What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Redoing insulation  (Read 7418 times)

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Redoing insulation
« on: December 29, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »
Happy New Year everyone!.  After moving the tub to FL, new heater, rebuilding motor and fixing a leak, we're up and running.  Regarding the leak, we had to pull most of the soaked insulation out the back and some of the sides.  Now we have to reinsulate and after using a couple cans of great stuff spray foam, it hasn't made a dent in filling the void.  It kind of settles on it's self.  Can we put nonfaced insulation to take up some of the room and then use the spray foam to fill in?  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Redoing insulation
« on: December 29, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: Redoing insulation
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:04:28 am »
Just throw some unfaced insulation in there and staple up some reflective foil to hold it in.  Works great.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:33:23 pm »
Happy New Year everyone!.  After moving the tub to FL, new heater, rebuilding motor and fixing a leak, we're up and running.  Regarding the leak, we had to pull most of the soaked insulation out the back and some of the sides.  Now we have to reinsulate and after using a couple cans of great stuff spray foam, it hasn't made a dent in filling the void.  It kind of settles on it's self.  Can we put nonfaced insulation to take up some of the room and then use the spray foam to fill in?  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dude, you live in Florida now, not sure I would worry about it to much!!   ;) ;D

clover

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 03:44:02 pm »
If you have an air blower that produces bubbles, or even air venturri's that suck air into the jet stream, you will be injecting small bits of fiberlass fibers.  I don't think it is a very good idea.

You should be looking for expanding foam insulation.  A and B chemicals mix during application and expand, similar to the what you used, but you will need 100 to 200 board feet.  
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 04:17:06 pm »
If you have an air blower that produces bubbles, or even air venturri's that suck air into the jet stream, you will be injecting small bits of fiberlass fibers.  I don't think it is a very good idea.

You should be looking for expanding foam insulation.  A and B chemicals mix during application and expand, similar to the what you used, but you will need 100 to 200 board feet.  

Being a Sundance dealer, we have rebuilt MANY tubs and have never had an issue with fiberglass fibers.  It is cheaper, easier, and will have roughly the same insulating qualities as trying to mess around with expanding foam insulation.

clover

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 06:05:50 pm »
Serj, having been a Sundance Dealer for over 17 years, we have replumbed more than 350 units re-foaming them with two part chemical, expanding foam, along with replacing more than 300 units.  Fiberglass may be cheaper, but I would not consider it "better", but cheaper yes.  We would by the large cannisters that would yield 600 board feet, allowing us to refoam 4 to 5 spas.  Our cost for the tanks ran around $470.  I guess it depends on the climate the tub operates in, or the dealers choice.  We learned about the fibergalss problems back in the middle 80's, and the blowers would inject fibergalss.  It just didn't work well for us.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:44:27 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Being in FL probably do not need a lot, but felt we should fill as much as possible.  May do a little of both.  Lay a base of fiberglass and supplement with spray foam.  There just wasn't anything for the foam to stick and expand on.  We'll give it a try unless we get some other suggestions.
Thanks again!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 01:35:06 pm »
Many tubs use the foam for stuctual support, if this is the case I would think it has to be replaced in clovers way to prevent any shell cracking issues.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:18:22 pm »
I wouldn't even consider the "unfaced fiberglass" unless you put it in a bag of some kind. Even then it's often a playground for rodents and has a tendency to get nasty with moisture.

You can order the small boxes of 2 part online....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:18:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42