What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: question about oily water  (Read 14947 times)

epic_mel

question about oily water
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:31:03 am »
My husband and I recently purchased a Marquis Epic, and it was delivered 12/18/08.  We have used it at least twice a day, sometimes three times, since it arrived.  A few issues have emerged in the last week.

(1) Water testing – the test strips our dealer recommends seem to indicate that our water is out of whack (bromine high, ak high, ph high, hardness low). But we read other posts on this forum and decided not to freak out immediately – the water has been tested twice during this time by pool and spa dealers and both times they said our water chemistry was in the correct range. So a Taylor kit for bromine is on the way, based on good advice here. Thanks, and I hope this continues to confirm our water is o.k.  Is this typical of all test strips?

(2) About 5 days into our ownership, we had an oily brownish ring around the top of the water line. Yes, I know we're never as clean as we think we are. We cleaned the ring with a spray cleaner (supposedly contained nothing to affect the water chemistry) recommended by the local pool folks and it seemed to do the job. Now any time we have the air controls on, there are serious suds that seem to be more than due to water agitation (result of the cleaner? should I worry? foam down?). Also the surface of the water looks oily. After looking at our filters, we saw that one of them was incorrectly installed by the spa dealer when they set up our tub. We fixed that but how to get rid of the oil? It's been only a couple of days since this was noticeable and we thought the filters might take it out. Should we drain the tub completely, clean it, and start over? Or is there something we can use that will get rid of it?

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

question about oily water
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:31:03 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: question about oily water
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:14:06 am »
Welcome to the forum. This sound like a classic  case for Chas' law.  I would like to suggest you read the sticky topic above.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Nitro

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 03:08:45 pm »
The oily ring and foam is from soaps, shampoos, conditioners, deodorants, lotions brought into the tub. You can use a product called Sea Klear that will help rid the stuff. You can also turn on all you jets/air and scoop the foam off the top. This will help reduce the foam. The best way to prevent this, is to take showers before using the tub, and don't put anything on (deorderants, lotions etc.). Also, it's best to not wear any swimsuits, but if you do, don't wash them.

As far as Chas' Law, I agree your water won't last as long on your first fill (approx one month), however your problem is because of stuff you're bringing into your tub, not because of old water. Try my above suggestions, and it should clear up the foam. Then I would be looking to change your water in a couple weeks or so. Even if you change your water, you'll still have the same problem if you continue to bring stuff into your tub.

Lastly, this foam and film is not harmful, just annoying.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 07:02:40 pm »
Do scoop out the foam as Nitro suggested. I also recommend hitting the tub with non chlorine shock (MPS) after - it does a good job eating through the rest of the gunk that has come off of you. I don't shower before going in the tub and use deodorant but I don't wash my hot tub suit. I do see a difference when people come over and use nice freshly washed suits and/or dunk their heads under the water - I get a heck of a lot of foam then.

I have used enzymes in the past and they also eat up the gunk but I prefer to scoop out the foam and shock with MPS afterward. The Sea Klear that Nitro is suggesting is a clarifier I believe, I've never used it for this purpose.

And change out the water in that month's time ... think of it as a "shake down cruise" for your tub.

Nitro

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 12:54:53 am »
Sea Klear will clump oils, lotions etc. together and deposit them on your filter. It works great after high bather loads. You just need to clean your filter a day or two after using it.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:30:28 am »
Several things happen with a new spa...first, all the factories reuse water and dump it from spa to spa when testing so you will collect oils and other junk from the manufacturing process. This can stick to the plumbing and show up with you fill the spa.

Next, if you've not been a steady soaker in a spa you and everyone getting in the spa have collected oil and deposits in the pores of you skin that even a shower might not take out as well. These collect in the spa with the first few soaks.

This call all cause the foam also along with soaps collected in your suits....I recommend rinsing an hanging the suits you use for the spa but don't wash them in a commercial cleaner like Tide or other brands like that. It will stay in the suit and com out in the spa.

Last, your water can have minerals that react with the chemicals and oxidize turning brown, for this I recommend a Sequestering agent like Protect Plus, Sequasol or Stain and Scale at fill.

That’s an awesome spa and probably my favorite soak ever. I’ve had one now for about 3 years and love it. If you ever have questions feel free to PM me.

My bet is that your favorite seat is going to be the post of jets on the more open side that you set on the floor to use.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:32:26 am by stuart »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 11:28:16 am »
I would not add anything except new water. If you take some time to wipe down the waterline and filter area while it is empty, and rinse your filters well, you should be fine.

If you don't get a nice white filter when you rinse, use a filter cleaning solution. They sell soaking and spritz-on types.

Chlorine shock when the tub is full and the water has been pH balanced.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

epic_mel

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 08:19:37 pm »
Thanks to all for your responses. I thought this looked like a good, friendly forum when I was lurking about in the past month or so, and you all have confirmed it. I had read Chas' Law and planned on the 30-day water dump anyway, but you have provided some good food for thought. :)

Stuart -- we tested a bunch of Marquis tubs, Sundance, and Dimension One. We really wanted the Marquis Destiny, but when we went to order it, they had changed way too much that we liked about it for the 09 model. We didn't want the 08 they had on the floor, particularly because of the tub surface which was smooth instead of a little rough. We were able to get a terrific deal on an 08 Epic. Yes, the spinal column jets on that side of the tub are quite nice, but I have to say that there aren't really any bad seats (maybe the one by the waterfall, if any). I think the tub gives a good massage whereas the jets on the Sundance and D1 models we tested felt too strong. D1 head rests also made me think that it was just asking for something to break but my husband loved the way the plumbing looked.  

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 06:00:01 pm »
great advice here, my first guess was new soakers oil.  When we first started using the tub, the tub was very oily.  once your skin gets use to it, you will notice that it will stop.  I think that you should purchase a sum bug or zorby sponge that will help you out alot.

Create rules for the tub, thats what we do.  

We try to avoid using tub right after lotions have been applied or shampoo and conditioner.  These cause issues.  

also, go to your local old navy and purchase several swim suits in various sizes for both men and women.  This will allow you to loan company a swim suit that is never washed in soap.  

And like all new users Chas law is obvious in effect here for you.

Good luck and have fun

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 06:00:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42