What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electricity cost for Hot Springs - Ouch!  (Read 8642 times)

p951

Electricity cost for Hot Springs - Ouch!
« on: December 14, 2008, 05:42:58 pm »
I just got my first full month billing for my 2008 Envoy - Ouch!!!  I use the spa maybe 2-3 times per week with my wife for about a 30 minute soak at 100 degrees.  I then cover the spa and leave the temp at 100.  I also have the Spaudio Cast, so maybe that is drawing more power.  My electricity bill shot up $60 bucks.  I was expecting about half that?

I usually plan on my "spa soaking agenda" the day of.  Should I turn the spa down to 95 and then when I come home from work if I am going to use the spa in 1-2 hours just turn it back up to 100?  

Hot Tub Forum

Electricity cost for Hot Springs - Ouch!
« on: December 14, 2008, 05:42:58 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Electricity cost for Hot Springs - Ouch!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 06:10:30 pm »
What is your cost per KWH (kilowatt hour)?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:12:53 pm »
So soes that include the first fill and heating your water from tap temperature to 101?...
Support your dealer so they can support you!

p951

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 06:26:33 pm »
What is your cost per KWH (kilowatt hour)?

I believe my Tier 4 cost was .21

p951

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 06:28:16 pm »
So soes that include the first fill and heating your water from tap temperature to 101?...

No, that would have been on the first bill.  I've had my spa now for about 5+ weeks

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 06:54:10 pm »
Let's see - weather has gotten much colder, days are much shorter so the lights are on much more, you may have been home more since you now have something fun to do - and the price of your power may have increased from last year.

Yup, blame the spa.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

All kidding aside, the first month always comes in high. Relax, it doesn't stay that way. One of the great mysteries of life. But if you want to know how much of that increase is due to the spa, you will have to meter just the spa.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 09:26:46 pm »
I agree that you typically have to compare the months based on LAST YEAR's usage, not last months for the same reason that Chas mentioned (It's common for winter electricity bills to increase simply due to weather and Nov is typically more severe than October for about 95% of the US area).  So, my question would be..."How does it compare to last year's bill for the same time period?"
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

p951

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 10:08:04 pm »
I agree that you typically have to compare the months based on LAST YEAR's usage, not last months for the same reason that Chas mentioned (It's common for winter electricity bills to increase simply due to weather and Nov is typically more severe than October for about 95% of the US area).  So, my question would be..."How does it compare to last year's bill for the same time period?"

I only moved into the home on January 18th of 2008.  I had previously lived in an apartment.  However, Since August, my electricity bill had been trending downward each month, only to see a drastic jump this bill.  For example, August 12th's bill was $150.  September was $135.  October was $105.  November was $95.  December 12th's bill was $155.  I got the spa November 3rd.  My electricity bill runs from about the 12th day of the month to the 11th day of the following month.  I wonder if the Spaudio Cast is drawing that much electricity.  I also got rid of an old 32" picture tube TV and replaced it with an LCD 37".  We did host Thanksgiving at my house for 15 people and the spa was uncovered practically the whole day for that.  a $60 jump just seems like alot.  When I was shocking the spa each week, I would leave the cover off for 1 1/2 hours to vent the fumes.  I will try leaving it off only 45 minutes from now on.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 11:18:43 pm »
You may also be forgetting some other spa related electric costs. I know we use a bunch more towels when we are using the tub often. Unless you have a gas dryer or use a clothes line (which I do when ever I can), you are adding to your electric bill using one of the costliest appliances.

I doubt that your spa audio system would cost much to run. :-/  

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:50:02 am »
I think I read somewhere awhile back that most higher end spas consume about 8-12 kwhs a day.....depending on climate, settings, usage, etc. Mine uses about 11 kwhs a day in the peak of St. Louis winters. So let's just say your spa uses 10. With your $.21 a kwh cost, that would be about $60 a month.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 09:42:20 am »
I think I read somewhere awhile back that most higher end spas consume about 8-12 kwhs a day.....depending on climate, settings, usage, etc. Mine uses about 11 kwhs a day in the peak of St. Louis winters. So let's just say your spa uses 10. With your $.21 a kwh cost, that would be about $60 a month.

When I saw the topic I was assuming we might see one of those $100+ increases that people sometimes post on spas that aren't well insulated. Of course no one would be thrilled by a $60 increase to any monthly bill but the rate is key (as well as power consumption of course) and $0.21/KwH is not cheap so I'm not sure $30 per month is what I'd expect but it would be interesting to see what a rolling 3 month average is since this is a new spa getting good use at the start of winter.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:43:14 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 06:21:38 pm »
Yep...when we got our spa...I didn't consider more towel useage. You had Thanksgiving, left if open most of the day. I would give it more time before coming to conclusions. I personally think that the spa itself contributes to more than $30 a month.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »
p951, I also have an Envoy and live in the same area. I don't have the spaudio though. It's hard to tell exactly how much extra you are paying for the spa without hooking it up to a meter.  I keep mine at 102 and use it almost every day/night. I'm paying about $40 per month extra in the winter based off my previous electric bills. Our electricity rates are very high in Southern California. In the summer you won't notice the increase.

Anyway, I'm sure the first month will run a little higher due to heating the water from a cold start and fiddling with the spa as a new owner. It should settle down in the future. Regardless, even at $60 it's been well worth it for my family. That's about what it costs to take the family out to a cheap dinner. I've tried to limit these types of expenses to offset the higher electric bills. Good luck with your new tub.....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:33:39 am »

I only moved into the home on January 18th of 2008.  I had previously lived in an apartment.  However, Since August, my electricity bill had been trending downward each month, only to see a drastic jump this bill.  For example, August 12th's bill was $150.  September was $135.  October was $105.  November was $95.  December 12th's bill was $155.  I got the spa November 3rd.  My electricity bill runs from about the 12th day of the month to the 11th day of the following month.  I wonder if the Spaudio Cast is drawing that much electricity.  I also got rid of an old 32" picture tube TV and replaced it with an LCD 37".  We did host Thanksgiving at my house for 15 people and the spa was uncovered practically the whole day for that.  a $60 jump just seems like alot.  When I was shocking the spa each week, I would leave the cover off for 1 1/2 hours to vent the fumes.  I will try leaving it off only 45 minutes from now on.

OK, that probably does explain at least part of it.  Your not really use to the cost to heat a home in the winter (since you've never had one before).  I would not be surprised if your "normal" bill (one that would not have included a hot tub) would have been somewhere are $110 for that month (a $15 increase in the prior month for no spa) simply due to the temperature differences in those time periods.  There are many on here that wish their bill was ONLY $155/month.

I am certain that a number of use with homes can tell you that your heating cost in the winter do increase SIGNIFICANTLY.  That's one of the reasons I went with gas heat when I bought my last home.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:34:53 am by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 02:37:42 pm »
P951, I kind of agree with spatech. I was expecting you to say your bill increased by a huge amount--something like $200 or more. Here is a typical post by someone who doesn't have a well insulated spa like yourself.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?s=c5270b4c0b5b3290c57ca54cd6718c84&showtopic=18309
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 02:37:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42