What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Testing Meters?  (Read 2132 times)

barleyz

Testing Meters?
« on: December 10, 2008, 02:36:31 pm »
As a recent first time hot tub owner I have been diligently testing my water with the color test strips for PH, Alkalinity, and MPS, as these are the three things I am using along with the ozinater and N2 cartriage.  I can see the colors on the strip but at times it is hard to determine just what color is in which range (maybe a little color blind).  I have noticed that many of you talk about specific numbers of PH such as 7.12 and alkalinity and hardness as if you have a meter that gives the exact readings.  I wouldn't mind buying a reasonably priced meter to get a "correct" reading.  Do they make good meters for the various readings or are they way out of sight for the average home owner?  Suggestions on what I would need and where to purchase them would be great!

Hot Tub Forum

Testing Meters?
« on: December 10, 2008, 02:36:31 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Testing Meters?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:05:39 pm »
Welcome to the world of hot tubs!

The only thing to remember is that all parameters are ranges - not specific numbers.

A PH of 7.2 or 7.3 is no big thing but it is a big thing to have a PH of 7 or 8 - you can see these differences. If you can tell the difference between 7.2 and 7 then you are OK.

The same holds true with alkalinity and calcium ... it's not a big deal to be off a little.

Don't be too crazy about it and it will be fine.

barleyz

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:44:51 am »
Thanks.  I use the colored test strips but I have noticed that the pad that is used for the PH reading sometimes is a combination of two colors with a dark orange color in the center and a light yellow on the outer edges.  The dark orange matches the correct PH while the outer edges indicate a too low reading.  Which do I believe?

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:39 am »
This works pretty good, I've been using it for a year or so. You can get one about anyware, I think Dr.Spa sells them too.

http://www.aquachek.com/trutest/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:19:11 am by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42