What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Should I worry about leaking or degradation?  (Read 5448 times)

michiganwinter

Should I worry about leaking or degradation?
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:23:55 am »
Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing a hot tub. We have a very small space where it will go, and it will have to sit very close to the side of my house on the concrete slab that abuts it. The location is at the bottom of the walkout basement, and the slab is level and thick but the ground slopes off further after the slab (retaining wall).

Has anyone had experience on leaking from a tub into the basement?

Is there concern for the significant weight of a full tub to degradation of the slab in this type of set up?

I'll post a picture of our yard and where it would go shortly (need to wait until the sun comes up and I can take a photo)

edited to add:
Okay, I took some pictures but can't figure out how to get them on here! The insert image just quotes and doesn't link; any quick suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:14:55 am by michiganwinter »

Hot Tub Forum

Should I worry about leaking or degradation?
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:23:55 am »

michiganwinter

Re: Should I worry about leaking or degradation?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:18:26 am »
Okay, I feel stupid. I went to the help section and still can't figure out how to do this. I have a MAC which doesn't always translate the same as PC, but there isn't a "path" I can figure out how to get something from iPhoto into here.  Dang!

http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/rachmass/?action=view&current=L1010815.jpg

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:58:02 am by michiganwinter »

cedar tub

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:41:04 am »
The best way to post photos is to open a photobucket.com account (it's free).  Upload the pics you want.  Select the photo you want to post on the forum from photobucket then click on the field that says IMG and it will automatically copy the link to the photo.  When typing your message here, just paste the copied link into the body of your message.  You can use the preview feature to check your post.
I've got wood and it's 5ft x 4ft

michiganwinter

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:00:12 am »

michiganwinter

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:03:21 am »
Thanks for the help with getting these posted!

Okay, you can see it is a small space. We are thinking of eventually moving it towards the lake, but at that point we would need to have a gazebo or something to enclose it (too public). Right now it would be under the deck. Our concrete pad measures 7'7" and the deck above 8'0". The height of the deck is 12' so there is good height, and the distance between the center posts is 13' which is where we plan on placing it (under the window, slightly closer to the door wall).

Anyone see potential problems with this set up?

michiganwinter

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:01:43 pm »
Has anyone set up like this before, and if so, have they had any problems so close to the house?

Thanks!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 04:28:46 pm »
My setup is a bit different but one side of my spa is about eighteen inches from the side of my house.  No issue at all.

BTW, nice view. :)

michiganwinter

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 04:40:02 pm »
Thanks Tony,

In this instance, the tub will be about 6-7 inches from the house (allowing for the lifter only).  It will take up the entire concrete pad area under the deck for about 7 feet or more and we will no longer be able to walk all the way under the deck.  The installer said it would work, but I am still leery about how tight it is, and what happens if a leak is sprung, as well as the worry about the concrete holding it since it is on a hill with retaining wall (and that becomes very heavy with water).  

The view is lovely. Cover is going to block the neighbor to the left in the picture, and the neighbor to the right sits back and can't really see in unless in her yard.  I want to see the lake at all times possible

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 06:18:53 pm »
I wouldn't think that the tub would leak very often...but I think if the cement is level and there is a sealer between the foundation and pad, that the water would travel the path of least resistance. I suppose you could take a bucket of water and try it out.

If the cover folds over to the sliders side...will that make it a little more difficult to get in from the sliding glass doors?

I don't blame you for always wanting to face the lake. That'll be an awesome setup!

michiganwinter

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 06:35:03 pm »
Very good idea about the bucket of water; I'll give it a try.

The door to the right is the entry door with the mud room. The door with the sliders is my office and I shouldn't go through there since it is carpeted. It would make it more difficult to come down from the deck though, and you would either have to come in from the lake side to the right (no landscaped path) or through the mud room from the inside. I do want to block the view of the new house to the left (looking from the lake).  

I have ordered the tub, but am feeling kind of flaky about this whole thing since I haven't been able to find any pictures of a set up like this and haven't had much commentary. My home is everything and I don't want to risk harming it in any way.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 08:34:32 pm »
Thousands of families have put spas in situations like yours - relax and keep your common sense turned on. You'll love it.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

michiganwinter

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:16:02 pm »
Well the tub is out of the factory and on a truck. Some time in the next week (or hopefully not two) I'll be able to post some pictures with the tub in place. The electrician was just out doing the install for the tub.

Can hardly wait!!!

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 09:56:56 pm »
Our tub is right next to the house:  it stands about 24 inches from the house on a concrete paver patio.  We have not had any problems with leakage into the basement.  I don't know the size of your tub, but you might want to check a couple of things:

1.  Is the slab sloped away from the house?  Most slabs are sloped away for drainage.  Of course, this could be effected by settling or erosion under the slab.  The problem with a sloped slab is that your tub should be dead level.  I have a Hot Spring Grandee (500 gallons) and the slab must be flat:  the tub is too big to shim to account for any pitch in the foundation.  However, you might be able to shim your tub (size or construction).  Check with your dealer/installer.  (BTW, that was an advantage of pavers:  we could have drainage on the rest of the patio but they were able to keep the area under the tub level).

2.  How thick is your slab, and what is the ground/surface prep under the patio?  Again I would check with the dealer.  I know people have put tubs on 4x4's, and on concrete, and pavers, but I wanted to be sure (it isn't done right until it is overdesigned with a 500% safety factor!)  :)  so I had the area of my patio under the tub built to the same standards as a driveway.  

Good luck, and enjoy your tub:  you will have a wonderful view

Bill

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 02:24:36 pm »
Be it sooner or later all spas will leak.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Kialda

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 09:28:14 pm »
Boy that looks like long lake next to Rose city....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 09:28:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42