What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Never thought I would see the day...  (Read 3570 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Never thought I would see the day...
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:16:29 am »
I have had two experiences recently which I want to write about. First - a lady came in and handed us a check for $250. Might not seem out of place in a retail store, but the story behind it is very interesting.

It seems we had given this lady a discount on her spa purchase. It was $250 to help pay for electrical. We don't often do this type of thing - in our store a discount is a real discount, and we try to make people aware of it without going overboard. As it turned out, they didn't need the money for the electrical, and so she wanted to come in and return it. My wife was in tears! Such a nice gesture, and so welcome in these current economic times!

Then Saturday another customer came in and returned a step. But he was not asking for his money back, we had delivered it with the spa and he had not ordered it. It was a goof on the part of our delivery crew, but he wanted to give it back. It is in perfect shape - looks like he had stored it indoors before bringing it by the store. I put it on the showroom floor next to a new spa.

I don't know how to account for these incidents - I know times are tougher than we have ever experienced in over twenty years. We are watching every penny, and these two random acts of kindness went a long way in restoring our faith in people and the country we live in. If we work together like this, tough times can be navigated so much easier, and we will begin to recover sooner.

IMHO

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

Never thought I would see the day...
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:16:29 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Never thought I would see the day...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:31:08 am »
It's so nice to hear stories like this Chas. People still have values and are honest. It really renews your faith in the human race...But I think more importantly, these people have done this because YOU have treated them well. Your generosity and honesty help people realize that it feels good to spread good faith.  Cheers to you Chas... :)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:01:50 pm »
I have had two experiences recently which I want to write about. First - a lady came in and handed us a check for $250. Might not seem out of place in a retail store, but the story behind it is very interesting.

It seems we had given this lady a discount on her spa purchase. It was $250 to help pay for electrical. We don't often do this type of thing - in our store a discount is a real discount, and we try to make people aware of it without going overboard. As it turned out, they didn't need the money for the electrical, and so she wanted to come in and return it. My wife was in tears! Such a nice gesture, and so welcome in these current economic times!

Then Saturday another customer came in and returned a step. But he was not asking for his money back, we had delivered it with the spa and he had not ordered it. It was a goof on the part of our delivery crew, but he wanted to give it back. It is in perfect shape - looks like he had stored it indoors before bringing it by the store. I put it on the showroom floor next to a new spa.

I don't know how to account for these incidents - I know times are tougher than we have ever experienced in over twenty years. We are watching every penny, and these two random acts of kindness went a long way in restoring our faith in people and the country we live in. If we work together like this, tough times can be navigated so much easier, and we will begin to recover sooner.

IMHO

8-)

What a great post! the sad part is that things like this are so out of place that they really stand out to business owners.

We contract out for our Pool Table delivery to a friend of mine and we had a weird thing happen. We are renovating our store right now and somehow my crew loaded the wrong table so the installer set up, leveled and delivered the wrong table. I was livid...Ruined felt, angry customer and another delivery charge would come to about $400 right out of my pocket.

That was Friday, on Monday the installer called me and said that he felt responsible because he's installed a ton of these tables for us and knows the difference in the brands. He asked if I would let him buy new felt, come pick up the correct table and swap them out at no charge to make up for it.

I was shocked that someone would actually take responsibility, no excuses, no stories just a "We should have caught this and didn't"!

There are a few fair and honest ones out there still….

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:54:44 am »
I had another amazing moment just a few days ago - our landlord walked in, unannounced, and said hello. She asked how we are doing, and I told her quite frankly that things are still very slow.

I gave some more details to let her know a bit about how slow it has been, and she said something which I never thought I would hear, "why don't you take a thousand dollars off this month's rent and next? Then let's talk again and see how things are going."

I was so touched I almost hugged her!

I am in the middle of doing the same for some property we own - trying to keep a good tenant up and running.

I think this kind of thoughtful, selfless action is what is going to turn things around.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:42:36 am »
Again, Chas this is a reflection on how you do business and how you treat others. You are the inspiration for this kind of behavior and that is why it comes back to you.

I have a friend who has felt the generosity of a contractor from her church. His crew, along with church members have raised money and solicited help in doing major renovations to her house to allow her disabled husband (wheel chair bound from an accident cutting down a tree) better access to the house. They are even adding a bathroom for them so that he can finally be more independant.  It is a wonderful generous project.  But as she tells me, this contractor is really feeling the pinch as business has dropped off considerably.
I am hoping to hire this man to do some much needed improvements to my house. I won't even look for a competitive price, but will hire him based on his generosity to my friend. that's what a good turn is all about... ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 10:22:30 am »

IMHO

8-)

They are probably transplants from the South.  :)
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:23:15 pm »
What a GREAT post.  It's nice to know there are still honest, giving people out there.  It's got me thinking what "Acts Of Kindness" I could do for somebody...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:23:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42