What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Opinions Needed Filtration  (Read 5007 times)

ecw

Opinions Needed Filtration
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:06:56 am »
My wife and I are potential first time hot tub buyers.  

We have been visiting the local dealers and (of course) been given conflicting info by various sales people.  The most confusing is the filtration system. The Jacuzzi salesman has been pushing the 24 hour filtration others have told me that the 24 hour system does not work well enough to clean the bottom and sides without normal filtration.  Any experienced opinions?  Even if the 24 hour system is better is it worth the price premium?  We have kind of narrowed it down to J375 and the J270 if we go with Jacuzzi.  

What is a good price on theses models?  The offer is around $9000 for the j375 and $6500 for the J270.  Both include steps, cover, delivery, and tax paid.  Seems a little steep to me but have nothing to compare it to.  

We are also open to other brands or models if anyone has a suggestion...

Also,  how long can one expect a new hot tub to last on average?  Is it worth looking into used ones?  I see you can get them pretty cheap on Craigs List.  

Sorry for the mountain of questions.  Good non biased info is hard to come by!  

Hot Tub Forum

Opinions Needed Filtration
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:06:56 am »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Opinions Needed Filtration
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:53:56 pm »
My wife and I are potential first time hot tub buyers.  

We have been visiting the local dealers and (of course) been given conflicting info by various sales people.  The most confusing is the filtration system. The Jacuzzi salesman has been pushing the 24 hour filtration others have told me that the 24 hour system does not work well enough to clean the bottom and sides without normal filtration.  Any experienced opinions?  Even if the 24 hour system is better is it worth the price premium?  We have kind of narrowed it down to J375 and the J270 if we go with Jacuzzi.  

What is a good price on theses models?  The offer is around $9000 for the j375 and $6500 for the J270.  Both include steps, cover, delivery, and tax paid.  Seems a little steep to me but have nothing to compare it to.  

We are also open to other brands or models if anyone has a suggestion...

Also,  how long can one expect a new hot tub to last on average?  Is it worth looking into used ones?  I see you can get them pretty cheap on Craigs List.  

Sorry for the mountain of questions.  Good non biased info is hard to come by!  

The prices you got on the J-375 and J-270 are very good a little high on the 270 in my opinion, it depends on what it includes. 24 hour circ,stainless escutcheons colored lights all an option which can increase the price.
  The 2 tubs however are totally different animals as far as warranty,filtration and hydrotherapy and construction go, hopefully the salesman explained all the differences?  There are lots of brands to choose from check the yellow pages and see who is in your area.  Sundance,Hotspring Marquis and Arctic  are all pretty decent spas.

As far as filtration go most of the major players use the 24 hour circ pump, is it really needed, hard to say.  I personally like it,  it works great with nature2 and ozone you have 24 hours of filtration, its not going to clean the sides or the btm of the spa for you, and neither will a spa without one, but it will turn the water over in the spa adequately enough to filter all the water quite a few times a day roughly 35 gallons per minute if I remember right. It really is a huge debate but I think most would agree its nice to have except those manufacturers that don't offer one.

As far as longevity, a good brand spa should last you as long as you take care of it,most are built very well some are not IE Costcos/internet spas, no matter what, you want a dealer that's going to take care of you and not leave you hanging, most people that buy a spa expect it never to break down, which can be true in most cases but its a hot tub with all kinds of things in it, so yes it may break down at some point but that's why there are service techs and warrantys, most problems are minor.  Also dont buy into the our spas don't use chemicals pitch by the salesman total BS, all spas need some kind if chems you can get it way down there but don't believe you don't have to nothing.

Hope this answered most of you questions, I am sure you will have more.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:13:51 pm »
I am of the opionion, that if you have and ozone sytem, you want the 24 hr circ pump.  

Without ozone, does the 24 hour circ pump make a significant difference? I wonder....I do like the idea of my water constanly being moved and agetiated, but in reality I bet most of the filtration is needed during use of the tub (when the main pumps are running on high) and during the clean up cycle after each use, not from the circ pump.

in addtionn tp the 24 h circ pump,  my tub (07 Caldera Geneva) also has a clean up  cycle that turns the main pumps on for several minutes each day. This flushes out stagnentt water behind the jets  and in the hoses, as well as moves the water through the filter.

I recomend ozone and the 24 hour circ pump.
07 Caldera Geneva

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:10:31 pm »
I am of the opionion, that if you have and ozone sytem, you want the 24 hr circ pump.  

Without ozone, does the 24 hour circ pump make a significant difference? I wonder....I do like the idea of my water constanly being moved and agetiated, but in reality I bet most of the filtration is needed during use of the tub (when the main pumps are running on high) and during the clean up cycle after each use, not from the circ pump.

in addtionn tp the 24 h circ pump,  my tub (07 Caldera Geneva) also has a clean up  cycle that turns the main pumps on for several minutes each day. This flushes out stagnentt water behind the jets  and in the hoses, as well as moves the water through the filter.

I recomend ozone and the 24 hour circ pump.

Your recommendation seems to imply that the ozone is operating 24 hours a day, simply because it is attatcehd to a circ pump, becareful that is not the norm.

I will say this, I have a Cal Spa A857L (with 24 hour circ) on the floor next to a Marquis Reward and we seem to have a much tougher time keeping the Cal cleaner than the Marquis, if ever the Marquis is cloudy it cleans itself up very quickly (usually in 20 minutes). The Cal is a constant battle even with 24 hour circ and 2 preprogrammed high flow filtratin cycles. I attribute this soley to the "Inline Frog System". I might add that I am not even a huge Marquis fan but must admit their filtration system is amazing. Whenever I go to Stuarts house I lift his cover knowing that he has neglected his spa and every time it has been perfectly clear. I know for a fact that he does nothing to maintain it other than replace cartridges. ;)
-SpaMan~

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:22:26 pm »
From a service stand point either system can work well but what find is a lot of consumers do not take proper care of the spa and that leads to water issue.

And remember clear water is not always a good sign (most acid are very clear).
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 02:25:11 pm »

Your recommendation seems to imply that the ozone is operating 24 hours a day, simply because it is attatcehd to a circ pump, becareful that is not the norm.

I was under that impression and I was implying that.

???
It is not the norm for tubs with an ozinator and 24 hour circ pump is working 24 hours a day?

How/when do they typically operate?

???
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:26:33 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 02:58:56 pm »

I was under that impression and I was implying that.

???
It is not the norm for tubs with an ozinator and 24 hour circ pump is working 24 hours a day?

How/when do they typically operate?

???

Most ozones shut off any time a main pump btn is hit, and come on a short time after the pump has shut off,they should still run during a filter cycle which they do on a Jacuzzi.   I believe D1 is one of the only ones that claim no off gas and are approved for continues operation??

Should add also that just because the circ pump is running the ozone may not be, alot of people think that the bubbles coming from the btm of the spa is ozone,you can still have bubbles with no ozone present.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:01:24 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 03:02:38 pm »

Most ozones shut off any time a main pump btn is hit, and come on a short time after the pump has shut off,they should still run during a filter cycle which they do on a Jacuzzi.   I believe D1 is one of the only ones that claim no off gas and are approved for continues operation??

Hmmm. I rememebr being told that the ozone shuts off when the big pumps are on...but other than that I thought the 03 unt ran all the time.
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 04:03:04 pm »
The perfect crime..replace someones crystal clear water with acid :o..Just a sicko Halloween thought ::)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 07:55:43 am »
Just to add to the confusion...

There are different types of 24 hour circulation pumps.  So two tubs with a 24 hour circulation system may filter radically different amounts of water per 24 hours.

ecw

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 09:52:26 am »
Thanks for all the good info.  Looks like I am not the only confused one.   :)  I am going to go look at a used j375.  The price is right.  Does anyone know what the differences would be between this years model and a 2004 or 2005 model?  Also what should I look for problem wise?  

barleyz

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 11:00:50 am »
I just ordered a J375 from a dealer here in East Tennessee.  I am paying $8300. which includes stereo system, stainless jet covers, stairs, ozinator,cover lifter, tax and of course the cover which is standard.  Hope that helps your negotiations.

ecw

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 11:17:36 am »
I just ordered a J375 from a dealer here in East Tennessee.  I am paying $8300. which includes stereo system, stainless jet covers, stairs, ozinator,cover lifter, tax and of course the cover which is standard.  Hope that helps your negotiations.

That is a much better deal than I was offered.  Thanks for the info!  
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:17:58 am by ecw »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 01:32:57 pm »
Thanks for all the good info.  Looks like I am not the only confused one.   :)  I am going to go look at a used j375.  The price is right.  Does anyone know what the differences would be between this years model and a 2004 or 2005 model?  Also what should I look for problem wise?  

A few of the jets have changed since 05 and the lounge is on the other side a couple of other things but  nothing major, it will have the same topside as the current 400 series.  What kinda a price they want for it should be around 3 grand or so maybe more, new cover? warranty?

barleyz you got a fantastic price!  ecw one thing you have to realize is every dealer has different cost at 8300 that dealer isn't getting rich, we sell that spa with stereo at 9800 sometimes less we did a few at the fair at 8995.00 which in itself is a good deal.  

With that used one it still is a very nice spa, just find out what the dealer is doing to it replacing any jets all the stuff I mentioned before as well!

ecw

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41:32 pm »

A few of the jets have changed since 05 and the lounge is on the other side a couple of other things but  nothing major, it will have the same topside as the current 400 series.  What kinda a price they want for it should be around 3 grand or so maybe more, new cover? warranty?

barleyz you got a fantastic price!  ecw one thing you have to realize is every dealer has different cost at 8300 that dealer isn't getting rich, we sell that spa with stereo at 9800 sometimes less we did a few at the fair at 8995.00 which in itself is a good deal.  

With that used one it still is a very nice spa, just find out what the dealer is doing to it replacing any jets all the stuff I mentioned before as well!

The spa is from a private owner, so no warranty.  The asking price is $1000.    

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42