What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotsprings Prodigy Problems  (Read 11608 times)

Ranger25

Hotsprings Prodigy Problems
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:21:51 am »
I have a 2001 Prodigy that is leaking around the bottom of the cover and through the pump motor vent hole.  I have checked everything that I can in the motor compartment and found nothing.  How can I remove the sides to check the plumbing or the tub? Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Hotsprings Prodigy Problems
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:21:51 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Hotsprings Prodigy Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:52:32 am »
Can you be more specific as to what you mean by "Around the bottom of the cover? Can you take some pictures of where you’re seeing the water?

That spa is very hard to get into the sides however I'm not so sure your problem is in around the side. More often than not I find the leak around the light lens and it is just telegraphing to a different location.

They use a heavy density foam around the shell for support and often it fools you. If you can take pictures of your light that would help also....It will tell us if there is cracks or discoloration.

The other place I’ve seen leaks on that model is where the drain tube comes out, if the spa sets on a deck there isn’t a lot of insulation over the lower fittings on the drain and that water sets idle.

I have my doubt to this however simply because we haven’t had a good enough cold snap to cause this to spring up.

Just for grins, also look where the pump housing and motor connect….You might just have a pump seal that is leaking only with the pump running.

Ranger25

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:59:51 am »
I just installed a new wet end on my pump because I thought the pump was leaking after replacing the seal on it didn't work.  I am getting water behind the pump after filling the tub and not even turning anything else on.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:01:12 pm »
Is the water actuallly in the equipment compartment?

Ranger25

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 12:05:29 pm »
Yes, It fills the compartment full then runs out the vent tub holes in the floor of the compartment.  It is also now running out under the right side (looking front to rear) at the bottom.  It seems to be coming around the hole behind the pump where the vent hose for the motor goes through the housing.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 12:48:57 pm »
Just for grins, look at the white bulb attached to the white hose on the intake side of the ozone. There is some black foam in it, if this foam is wet then the ozone check valve has failed and water is comming through the ozone.

I also PM"ed you
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 12:49:24 pm by stuart »

Ranger25

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 03:24:59 pm »
After searching for weeks I have decided it's got to be a pipe problem.  I don't care anything about a hot tub but my wife makes me keep it going.  This Hot Springs has been trouble ever since I've had it anyway.  Please beware of any Hot Springs Product out there.  I'm not bashing just speaking the truth. (Thanks to Stuart for helping me for a while)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 03:26:28 pm by Ranger25 »

Spiderman

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:08:16 pm »
Please beware of any Hot Springs Product out there.  I'm not bashing just speaking the truth. (Thanks to Stuart for helping me for a while)

Because you have a problem with your tub, everyone should "beware"?  Having sold over 800,000 hot tubs (more than anyone else) Hot Spring is a quality product.  It's unfortunate that yours is leaking.  Keep in mind, it, like any other man-made product can fail at times.  Hopefully Stuart was able to point you in the right direction.  Good luck!
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:49:05 am »
Don't throw in the towel yet...either call me on the number I gave you or PM me with a number to call you and maybe we can get through this.

I'm pretty good at finding these leaks so you don't have to be frustrated alone, let's set up a time that I can walk you through it over the phone and it might be easier than you think.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 03:26:21 pm »
Don't throw in the towel yet...either call me on the number I gave you or PM me with a number to call you and maybe we can get through this.

I'm pretty good at finding these leaks so you don't have to be frustrated alone, let's set up a time that I can walk you through it over the phone and it might be easier than you think.
I can fix it!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:26:46 pm by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 03:36:36 pm »
I can fix it!

My dad has an awesome set of tools!!!

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 04:07:17 pm »

[glow] My dad has an awesome set of tools!!! [/glow]

you have no idea howfunny that is. ;D ;D
-SpaMan~

pudge

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 12:20:24 am »
Ask your dealer about a Hartford Loop...

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 10:11:25 am »
Ask your dealer about a Hartford Loop...
He's checked his ozone and there is no water comming out of it....That was one of my first thoughts hoever, if the check valve is failing it needs replaced, you can't depend on one hartford loop by itself..

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:40 am »
Actually, the Harford loop in question is not for the Ozone, it is for the air inlet. That model came from the factory with a "shuttle valve" which opened and closed by suction from the main pump. When the pump came on, the suction shuttled the valve to the open position, and the air was allowed to flow to all the various air controls for the jets.

Stop the pump, and a spring was supposed to slide the shuttle over to completely shut off and seal the air system. It was a great idea, but the valves didn't seem to want to live forever and they often stick in the open position. Under the right circumstances that can lead to water backflowing out of the vent screen under the corner of the spa.  That is where the air is picked up - right where the hot air exits from the shroud on the jet pump motor.

The simple solution is to install a Hartford Loop. Your local HS Dealer will have a kit which contains all the parts to make this simple upgrade - it is basically a check valve, a pre-formed hartford loop with three loop in it, the various clamps and adapters needed, and a plug to close off the line which used to provide the suction 'signal' which operated the valve. It could be put together from vinyl tubing and a check valve if you want... just get rid of the shuttle valve.

I would check to see if that valve does in fact exist on this spa in question, and then replace it and see if the leak goes away.

8-)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:24:22 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42