What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to achieve greater "Bass effect"  (Read 6219 times)

p951

How to achieve greater "Bass effect"
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:25:16 am »
I have a brand new 2008 HotSprings Envoy.  I got the SPAudio Cast option.  Before I purchased it, I tried it out in either a HotSprings Vista or a HotSprings Grandee - I can't remember.  The bass was a little louder and I could definitely feel it more in this tub.  I think they were 2007 models.  Was the stereo changed (weakened) between years or does my tub just not convey the energy as well?  Are there ways other than adjusting volume (which I did to the max) or Equalization (Which I believe on setting 2 achieves the maximum bass effect for the internal amp) than can deepen the bass?

Hot Tub Forum

How to achieve greater "Bass effect"
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:25:16 am »

cedar tub

Re: How to achieve greater "Bass effect"
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:24:08 pm »
I'm curious: What kind of speakers and amplification are in these spas?  Does it have a dedicated subwoofer and amp or is it an automobile-type system with a couple of 6-8" speakers?  
I've got wood and it's 5ft x 4ft

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 12:29:47 pm »
Congrats on the new spa p951. Where did you buy your Envoy? Why did you choose this brand/model over the models you were looking at?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

p951

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:03:22 pm »
I bought it from a HotSprings dealer in Murrieta, CA.  I tried out about 5 or 6 different Cal Spas first then wet tested about 5 or 6 HotSprings.  I ended up buying HotSprings because of the friendliness and knowledge of their manager/owner and the feel and quality was flat out better.  I did end up buying a CalSpas NorthEast Gazebo to put around my HotSprings Spa.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 02:33:23 pm »
I bought it from a HotSprings dealer in Murrieta, CA.  I tried out about 5 or 6 different Cal Spas first then wet tested about 5 or 6 HotSprings.  I ended up buying HotSprings because of the friendliness and knowledge of their manager/owner and the feel and quality was flat out better.  I did end up buying a CalSpas NorthEast Gazebo to put around my HotSprings Spa.

What chemical routine did they suggest for your spa? I'm guessing it's N2 with Lithium Hypochlorite?

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

p951

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 02:51:11 pm »
Yep

cedar tub

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »
If your spa has a wood frame somewhere inside that is accessible, you could possibly add a tactile transducer.  This is a device that produces a vibration instead of sound. There are several brands like Aura Bass Shaker, Buttkicker or Clark Synthesis.  You will still need a small amp to power them.  That can be plugged into an output of your existing tuner/amp if it has one.  These things are used in home theaters to produce extra thump in seats or even the floor.

I think the main problem with a spa stereo system is there just isn't enough room to place good quality audio equipment.  Most of the space is taken up by pumps, plumbing, electrical wiring and insulation.  Speakers need a cabinet to produce the sound that you want.  Good speakers also need crossovers.  Good subwoofers are big.  That means it can't just be an add-on.  Even a high-end car audio system will have speakers with enclosures and crossovers.

The easiest way to improve your audio is to buy a nice set of exterior speakers and use a regular receiver or amp to power them.  You'd have to run some wiring from inside to outside or build a waterproof enclosure to hold the receiver.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:14:27 pm by cedar_tub »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 10:13:02 pm »
Yep

You'll love the Envoy. I've used mine almost everyday for the last three years with zero problems. A good group of folks at your dealership. If you get tried of the sound system let me know....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 03:26:59 pm »
If your spa has a wood frame somewhere inside that is accessible, you could possibly add a tactile transducer.  This is a device that produces a vibration instead of sound. There are several brands like Aura Bass Shaker, Buttkicker or Clark Synthesis.  You will still need a small amp to power them.  That can be plugged into an output of your existing tuner/amp if it has one.  These things are used in home theaters to produce extra thump in seats or even the floor.

This tub comes with two transducers and two external speakers. You should be able to amp up the bass by making some changes to the settings or different source material.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

cedar tub

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 06:42:25 pm »

This tub comes with two transducers and two external speakers. You should be able to amp up the bass by making some changes to the settings or different source material.

8-)

Since it already has transducers, you may just need some more power.  If you can't get more response from what is already installed, you could possibly add an extra amp.  If that's what it takes, look for a marine amp.  You may even want to look for some marine speakers that are the same size.  I replaced the speakers in our boat with four Alpine Marine speakers and a 320 watt amp.  I also added a subwoofer with it's own 200 watt amp and it's much better now.  Of course you are going to be working with a lot less space.  If you squeeze in enough power, you won't even need jets to move the water ;)

p951

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 09:24:59 pm »
Wow.  Thank you for the great ideas.  My HotSprings Tech is actually coming out on Saturday to install my external speakers in the corner of the gazebo and install some L brackets to secure my Gazebo to the ground.  I will bring up the ideas and bounce them off of him.  I appreciate the fantastic feedback!!!

p951

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 10:30:38 pm »
Is it true that HotSprings SPAudio Cast downgraded their Amplifier and Transducer/Magnet Package from 2007 to 2008?  If so, why?  The price stayed the same??

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 12:46:30 am »
Is it true that HotSprings SPAudio Cast downgraded their Amplifier and Transducer/Magnet Package from 2007 to 2008?  If so, why?  The price stayed the same??

Where did you get your information?

cedar tub

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 09:08:29 am »
Wow.  Thank you for the great ideas.  My HotSprings Tech is actually coming out on Saturday to install my external speakers in the corner of the gazebo and install some L brackets to secure my Gazebo to the ground.  I will bring up the ideas and bounce them off of him.  I appreciate the fantastic feedback!!!

Wow, so it really does have external speakers!  I thought they were built into the tub.  All the transducer companies make amps for their product.  I'm not sure what type is in your system, but you could probably upgrade the amp.  You can even find them on ebay.  Good luck to you.  

p951

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:13:11 pm »

Where did you get your information?

I know from the 2005 system to the 2008 system they were able to make the transducers smaller but with the same punch apparently.  I tried adjusting the EQ setting on my Ipod Nano to Bass Booster and it definitely made a difference.  I then hooked the ICast up to my computer directly and set the EQ settings to manual and punched up the Bass all the way.  This gave me the effect I was looking for in the transducers.  However, since the ICast system doesn't have a crossover for the external speakers, the system routs all the bass through both the transducers and the external speakers.  This isn't good because the external speakers are mainly used to carry the higher frequencies.  At higher volumes they could be blown.  So, I think for now, I will stick with the Bass Booster using the Ipod on the ICast rather than running the ICast directly to my computer and manually changing it.  In the future, it would be nice to have a crossover so that the lower(Bass) frequencies could be routed to the transducers and the higher(treble) frequencies to the external speakers.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:13:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42