What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nature 2 filter plus ozone  (Read 3662 times)

solo

Nature 2 filter plus ozone
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:58:35 pm »
I have owned my hlot tub for a year now.  Still get in 3 times a week and love it.  Really haven't had any problems to speak of.

The lone thing I would like to do is to figure out the minimum amount of Chlorine I can get by with.  I use a nature 2 cartridge and ozone.  Both should reduce chlorine levels needed for clean water.

Any idea what ppm of chlorine level I should use with this set up?

Hot Tub Forum

Nature 2 filter plus ozone
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:58:35 pm »

cedar tub

Re: Nature 2 filter plus ozone
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:34:40 pm »
I believe the N2 manual recommends a min level of 0.5ppm.  I've been targeting 0.5 - 1.0ppm on our tub with N2.  Our tub also has a copper ionizer, so I get some additional mineral help.  With your ozone, you should be able to follow the low chlorine recipe on page 6 of the Nature 2 manual and get great results.  Since you have ozone, you may be able to use even less MPS.  

I've been thinking about adding a salt based chlorine generator.  I spoke with a couple of people at spachlorinator.com about the TechniChlor and the ColorChlor.  I was told that those could be set to generate chlorine in low amounts like I want.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:35:30 pm by cedar_tub »
I've got wood and it's 5ft x 4ft

solo

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:44:15 pm »
Presently, I just throw in a teaspoon of dichlor after every use.  Then every 2-3 weeks OI shock it.  This works pretty good.  Adding a chlorine generator might be overkill?  But if you have the money, why not?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:48:09 am »
Presently, I just throw in a teaspoon of dichlor after every use.  Then every 2-3 weeks OI shock it.  This works pretty good.  Adding a chlorine generator might be overkill?  But if you have the money, why not?

I think your system is just fine.  The problem with chlorine is it diminishes over time.  Chlorine needs a certain strength and a certain duration to get a proper kill time.  You are loading up after use to allow the santizer to work and then letting it drop.  The next time you use your spa, you are probably soaking in near zero ppm free chlorine.  I would say that gets about as minimal as possible.  IMO, you are running about as light as you can safely go.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 04:45:59 pm by tony »

solo

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 04:27:06 pm »

I think your system is just fine.  The problem with chlorine is it diminishes over time.  Chlorine needs a certain strength and a certain duration to get a proper kill time.  You are loading up after use to allow the santizer to work and then letting it drop.  The next time you use your spa, you are probably soaking in near zero ppm free chlorine.  I would say that gets abour as minimal as possible.  IMO, you are running about as light as you can safely go.

Thanks for the input.

This system has been working fine.  I really like that I am soaking in near zero ppm chlorine.  I have been tempted to switch to Bleach in order to keep the cyanuric acid content down so that the water can last longer.  But presently I am getting 4 months inbetween fills.  That's pretty good.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:53:19 pm »
 You could try the game of adding dichlor every other day,instead of after use, or shocking after use and adding dichlor once a week. personally I like what your doing now to be safe.  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:36:11 pm »
Nature 2 want you to change water and cartridge every 4 months.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:36:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42