What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The Spa Cover Thread  (Read 7505 times)

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
The Spa Cover Thread
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:12:43 pm »
This is the one stop Spa Cover thread. I’m sure this has been talked about before, but searching did not bring up any results.   Please post you experience and recommendation for aftermarket replacement covers. Are all covers made about the same or is there a big deference between suppliers?  

Any spa cover tips or care information would also helpful here, as well.  It seems like most people use 303 to clean and protect their cover.  What is the average life of a spa cover?
It's all about da bubbles!

Hot Tub Forum

The Spa Cover Thread
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:12:43 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: The Spa Cover Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:02:22 pm »
I thought you wanted to know what kind of thread is used for spa covers.   ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:15:28 pm »
Originally, I thought the same thing too!

My cover is 3 years old and it is starting to show signs of wearing - the edges of the hinge are starting to "eat away" - cracking, missing some vinyl and showing the threads underneath. The fingers of the cover lifter may be causing it or it may be from age.

Other than the 303, wipe down the cover every so often with a rag and water with bleach or when you shock with chlorine. I usually use a deck brush with bleach, water and dish soap to scrub the cover down - comes out really clean. I wait until it dries then use the 303 ... I don't do it as often as I should but when I do I'm pleased with the results.

As far as the inside - the ozone may cause problems so using a spa blanket may be a good idea, I am wondering about if it really is worth it as my blanket lasted 2 years. Maybe a cheaper bubble type vs foam might be a better solution.

I've read a lot of good things about Doc's covers and I personally am planning on getting one from him when the time comes. I've used him before for other spa stuff and I have been pleased.

Whatever you do - do NOT buy that spa cap that's on the internet ... small dead air space insulates great but a large air space is an energy hog!

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:50:23 pm »
I thought you wanted to know what kind of thread is used for spa covers.   ;D

;D

Anyway, my cover is about 4 years old and still looks good, but it is starting to feel heavy.  I think I may need to replace it soon
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:57:05 pm by Mr._Bubbles »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:06:38 pm »
It is going to be 112 degrees here in Vegas today. My cover is in the bright sun light most of every day. I bought Doc's spa blanket and now my circ pump does not come on very often because my water is hotter than the setting so it shuts down to protect the pump. I have put about 4 coats of 303 on the top of the cover and it shines so nice. I don't know because of the dry climate down here if my cover will ever get heavy with mold. I think it will burn up in the sunlight before anything else.

Scott  :)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 12:20:57 pm »
Scott,

Take 2 tennis balls and put them on the sides of the tub and put the cover down on them - ventilate the water.

Stagnant water will go bad quicker I believe.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:11:32 pm »
Scott,

Take 2 tennis balls and put them on the sides of the tub and put the cover down on them - ventilate the water.

Stagnant water will go bad quicker I believe.
Thanks Vinny. The J-470 runs all the jets every 6 hours for 2 minutes. This along with the circ pump keeps the water moving. So far my water is crystal clear.

Scott  :)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 12:47:38 pm »
Hey Bubbles,

Check out this thread for replacement cover recommendations.  Doc's place is the ONLY way to go IMO... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 06:05:22 pm »
I'll add this info for good measure, since this is a general cover thread...

Lots of tub owners don't know this, so here we go. Whenever you add chlorine, MPS, or powdered bromine, you should leave the lid open and run the jets for at least 10 minutes or so. Let the major chlorine cloud dissipate before you close the lid.

The results, if you don't, will be a heavy cover. The chlorine goes inside the cover and breaks down the vapor barrier. You can't see this happening, but it allows the foam cores to absorb water. You can't believe how heavy these things can get!!

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 10:48:44 pm »
Chas gets a gold star.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 04:18:40 pm »
 Nice pictures of the cover from Doc, it does look like a good cover.  The long straps are a great idea.  So, if I get an aftermarket cover will I have to put new locks on the spa?  I would rather not mess with that.

Oh, that reminds me, Watkins has changed the locks.  The new ones brake-away without braking when pulled backwards. I can’t tell you how many I have broken when I forget to unlatch the back stapes. :-[
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:19:23 pm by Mr._Bubbles »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 05:14:45 pm »
Brake -

Break -

Just for fun. Not trying to pick on anyone...

8-)

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 06:19:35 pm »
Give me a break(haha), I'm sick.  *Goes to grammar check all Chas's posts.*

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:27:20 pm by Mr._Bubbles »

Cdn HockeyPuck

• '08 Artesian Platinum Cypress Point'
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 08:20:22 am »

lol  ;D ;D ;D
Dave

"The needs of many great soaks out way the needs of a few... or the one."

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 12:45:25 pm »
Give me a break(haha), I'm sick.  *Goes to grammar check all Chas's posts.*

Actually, it's "Chas' posts."  And please don't check them - I do a lot of posting late at night. Or is it "nite?"  
 ;D ;D

8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 12:45:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42