What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Choice Bromine or Chlorine?  (Read 7478 times)

Tailhooker

Choice Bromine or Chlorine?
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:52:34 pm »
 :-/I am sure that this thread has been touched before, but I am having a pool put in w/
Salt Chlorination and I was given a choice when I bought my HS Envoy last week.  I put my preference for Chlorine first over Bromine.  Pro's or Con's to that?  Figured since I am using salt... chlorine would be best (and the most common I guess too). :-/

Hot Tub Forum

Choice Bromine or Chlorine?
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:52:34 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Choice Bromine or Chlorine?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:35:23 pm »
Either system is easy to use and have advantages and disadvantages to both. Use what you feel more comfortable.

Pool chlorine is not spa chlorine just keep that in mind.  Forget about what you read (if any) about using bleach or anything else until you get water chemistry under your belt. Just use dichlor.

Why do you think since you're using salt chlorine would be the best?

Pools and spas require different things. Salt is fairly new in the pool game where trichlor has been around for years along with calcium hypochlorite (cal hypo). Bromine was the product people used in spas for years and still do.

Try dichlor, if it works great; if not switch to bromine and if that doesn't work go to Baqua.

Tailhooker

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 11:25:49 pm »
Either system is easy to use and have advantages and disadvantages to both. Use what you feel more comfortable.

Pool chlorine is not spa chlorine just keep that in mind.  Forget about what you read (if any) about using bleach or anything else until you get water chemistry under your belt. Just use dichlor.

Why do you think since you're using salt chlorine would be the best?

Pools and spas require different things. Salt is fairly new in the pool game where trichlor has been around for years along with calcium hypochlorite (cal hypo). Bromine was the product people used in spas for years and still do.

Try dichlor, if it works great; if not switch to bromine and if that doesn't work go to Baqua.
I am so new with the chemical game that I am not sure why salt and chlorine would make the best pairing.  Dichlor/ Trichlor/ Baqua still trying to get it all straight.
Dave

Tailhooker

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 12:03:38 am »
http://www.rhtubs.com/chemical-compare.htm
This site cleared up a few of the basic questions I had.  I have Ozone coming in the new spa, I take it a little dichlor is still required after each soak... with the cover open (to save the cover).

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 01:25:24 am »
Go with minimum chlorine with AG+ (Nature2).

Salt in your pool is simply a way of delivering chlorine.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tailhooker

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:46:08 am »
Go with minimum chlorine with AG+ (Nature2).

Salt in your pool is simply a way of delivering chlorine.
Does the Nature 2 really reduce the chlorine needed, even if you have ozone?  Is the added cost worth the reduction in the dichlor.  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 11:08:12 am »
Does the Nature 2 really reduce the chlorine needed, even if you have ozone?  Is the added cost worth the reduction in the dichlor.  
Nature2 really does reduce the amount of chlorine needed.  Some people use only MPS with it.  Best if some spa owners comment here, as this has been discussed many times.

If you find it reduces amount of chlorine needed, and the chlorine smell, only you can decide whether the added cost is worth it for you.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:38:25 am »

I had a post a week or two ago in regards to the N2 cartridge.  Opinions vary greatly, but I'm sold on the N2 cartridge.  It makes managing water VERY easy.  It might not pay for the amount of dichlor you don't have to use, as dichlor is very inexpensive.  But it saves my water in the case that I don't get dichlor added after a few days.  And I can tell a difference in the "feel" of the water.   Just my 2 cents though...
Oh...and as far as bromine vs. dichlor?  I've tried both, and to me, dichlor is the way to go.   I use Dichlor, N2, and ozone.  I shock with MPS every couple of weeks.  My water is SO easy to manage....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:40:53 am by rnblase »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 12:03:15 pm »

I had a post a week or two ago in regards to the N2 cartridge.  Opinions vary greatly, but I'm sold on the N2 cartridge.  It makes managing water VERY easy.  It might not pay for the amount of dichlor you don't have to use, as dichlor is very inexpensive.  But it saves my water in the case that I don't get dichlor added after a few days.  And I can tell a difference in the "feel" of the water.   Just my 2 cents though...
Oh...and as far as bromine vs. dichlor?  I've tried both, and to me, dichlor is the way to go.   I use Dichlor, N2, and ozone.  I shock with MPS every couple of weeks.  My water is SO easy to manage....

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm a fan of N2 but don't believe it should ever be used without a sanitizer as some try to do and while it may lessen the amount of chlorine you use it won't be a substantial drop and so it won't pay for itself. It will help you with water care and piece of mind IMO. Since I've had many dealings with people over the years on water care I know how water care issues can be bothersome so I think its well worth it but for some if it doesn't fully pay for itself in less chems used they aren't believers so to each his/her own.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 12:15:55 pm »
Are you sure you want salt chlorination on your pool?  Make sure you don't have any natural surfaces around your pool.  For example, no flag stone coping, no water fall.

Also, make sure you don't have a heater.  Make sure you don't have anything with metal on the pool like handrails.  Make sure if you get a slide, you get one that is made out of resin and doesn't have the aluminum legs.  Make sure if you have a diving board, the stand is synthetic.

I am in this industry and have seen so many problems caused by adding salt to a pool.  When the water splashes out of the pool and evaporates, it leaves salt behind to start its destructive nature on whatever it is touching.  The salt will oxidize the copper in your heater.  It will corrode handrails.  It will eat at natural and concrete surfaces.

I have a friend here in Houston who does nothing but service.  They have over 10 cleaning guys and 5 techs so they see a lot of salt pools.  They remove chlorine generators every day.  One of the biggest pool builders in Houston and in the top 50 in the US, quit installing chlorine generators.  They'll lose the sale before installing one.

I'd really think about that if I were you.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:17:09 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Wet in ChiTown

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 01:29:55 pm »
Vanguard, does that also apply to spas ??   My Arctic Onzen uses sea salt.  I heard such good things about the salt water used in Arctic spas and now you tell me that my kids will be destroing my new cement paver patio when they splash water everywhere....and they will.  ;)

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 01:41:39 pm »
As posted, personal preference affects this quite a bit.

We started with Bromine, then switched to Clorine with the new tub. I like clorine, for me its easier, I take care of the water chemistry.

The wife liked Bromine, because she has sensitve skin. Again, for me, bromine was harder to keep crystal clear but as you have probably heard, happy wife, happy life.

Good luck

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 02:04:44 pm »
As posted, personal preference affects this quite a bit.

We started with Bromine, then switched to Clorine with the new tub. I like clorine, for me its easier, I take care of the water chemistry.

The wife liked Bromine, because she has sensitve skin. Again, for me, bromine was harder to keep crystal clear but as you have probably heard, happy wife, happy life.

Good luck

If you were using bromine did you realize that most bromine tablets are about 25% chlorine, which is slowly released?

With a chlorine spa you add chlorine when you exit to sanitize but it dissipates quickly so the next time you go in there is a low chlorine level. In other words, sometimes bromine users sit in a higher level of chlorine than a chlorine user.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 03:20:58 pm »

If you were using bromine did you realize that most bromine tablets are about 25% chlorine, which is slowly released?

With a chlorine spa you add chlorine when you exit to sanitize but it dissipates quickly so the next time you go in there is a low chlorine level. In other words, sometimes bromine users sit in a higher level of chlorine than a chlorine user.

This is good info. Thanks

Vanguard

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 09:39:15 pm »
Vanguard, does that also apply to spas ??   My Arctic Onzen uses sea salt.  I heard such good things about the salt water used in Arctic spas and now you tell me that my kids will be destroing my new cement paver patio when they splash water everywhere....and they will.  ;)

First, I really don't know much about Arctic's Onzen system.  It really has nothing to do with the system.  What we've seen on the swimming pool side is the consumer tends to put too much salt in their pool.  Plus, you typically a higher quantity of water splashed out of a pool than you do a spa.

Pavers are much harder than flagstone and other natural surfaces.  But, if you let salt sit even on pavers, over time, yes, they'd eat into the paver.  Just make sure you periodically wash the pavers.  By doing that, you shouldn't have a problem.  And...don't add too much salt.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 09:39:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42