What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I need HELP!  (Read 8557 times)

wannabubble

I need HELP!
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:00:46 pm »
I have a question for all of you bubbling buffs, please.  I  am searching for my very first hot tub.  I have been to the Sundance, Hot Springs, and D1 stores, yet to wet test, but soon.  I would like your opinion, please.  My options now are as follows,
Sundance Altamar w/ sound system - $9000.
Limelight ( hot springs) - $7495
Hot Springs Sovereigh - $7495
D1 Seville - $7995
D1 Aurora - $9595
Home hot tubs ( D1) Wayfarer -$7995.
I realize the prices vary quite a bit, but I'm new at this.  I was hoping to find something much less than what I have found, but nooooo.  
I have wanted a tub for many years.  I have back and neck problems and am looking for relaxing relief.  My fear in the past is that I will get one and never use it and I really think I will, but I'm uneasy about spending sooo much for one.  I had originally thought I could find something for $5000. or so, but in looking, what I want is more.  
I would like honest opinions.  The stores seem to bad mouth each other alot!!!
I have to have major electrical work done to support the tub so I'm looking at about $3000. before I even begin paying for the bubbles!!!
I appreciate all information I can get from you guys!!!
I thank all in advance for input!!
 ;)

Hot Tub Forum

I need HELP!
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:00:46 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: I need HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 05:25:13 pm »
As you can see, I am a Hot Spring guy.

Sorry folks in your neck of the woods seem to want to bash each other.

From what you have described, in the Hot Spring family, go for the Sovereign.  More therapeutic.

If you can live with something smaller, consider the Jetsetter.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 05:53:13 pm »
I I have been to the Sundance, Hot Springs, and D1 stores, yet to wet test, but soon.  I would like your opinion, please.  

Here's my opinion; those are 3 of the better brands out there and you'll find proponents of each so let us know how those wet tests go. That will probably eliminate half of those models for one reason or another (not every spa fits everyone the same way).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 07:00:13 pm »
The days of $5000 hot tubs are over in quality spas.  :(

I too started at $5000 back in 2004 and found quickly there weren't any tubs. I ended up paying about $6500,  but the other problem is all these tubs are made out of petroleum products - with gas at $4.00 or more a gallon, acylic and foam are not too far behind.

Look at the Beachcomber 300 series, they were fairly inexpensive in 2004. Try Artesian, Bullfrog, and Marquis - they have secondary lines that tend to be less expensive; Sundance has it too.

When shopping, I found that D1 and Hot Spring were pretty expensive around me. The Hot Spring guy wouldn't talk to me about Tiger River so I can't say how they are priced. All primary lines were untouchable to me back then as well.

Look at as many as you can before even thinking about signing on the dotted line. And don't be fooled by the sales dribble - all quality tubs produce hot, clean water ... none are the "best" ... and you'll find one that is best for you!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:01:24 pm by Vinny »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:20:33 pm »
 You could also check out the Jacuzzi 200 series, J-230 J-270 and J-280  Here they run 4995 to 7000 depending if you want more features, like said above same with Marquis and Artesian, and probably many others.

Best advice you will get here??  Go get WET and try a few!!  If they don't/let you to try them, walk on out and say you have some shopping to do.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:59:56 pm »
You could also check out the Jacuzzi 200 series, J-230 J-270 and J-280  Here they run 4995 to 7000 depending if you want more features, like said above same with Marquis and Artesian, and probably many others.

Best advice you will get here??  Go get WET and try a few!!  If they don't/let you to try them, walk on out and say you have some shopping to do.

I guess the 200 series is new ... I don't remember seeing them when I was shopping. Didn't mean to leave them out.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 04:23:27 am »
If it's any help, my local Sundance dealer is asking the same price for the Altamar, & from what I've seen we have pretty competitive prices here.

As Jacuzzi Jim mentioned, you might want to see if you have a Jacuzzi dealer nearby. My dealer is selling the J-335 (which is fairly similiar to the Altamar, but in a lower-level series - plus, they're made by basically the same manufacturer)  for $7700.  Have you looked at the Sundance Certa? It's nearly identical to the Altamar, but also in a lower-level line.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Cdn HockeyPuck

• '08 Artesian Platinum Cypress Point'
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 09:05:32 am »
This is all great advice! All of these people really know what they are talking about.

Don't forget about the dealer support too. You need to remember who's going to service your tub after purchase if there are any problems. Look into the history of the dealer, it may help you narrow your search down, I know it did for us then the wet test really narrowed our search down.

Good Luck! :)
Dave

"The needs of many great soaks out way the needs of a few... or the one."

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 10:02:24 am »
Its funny, I have been away since March of this year and I am just getting back to the forum, however, I find the questions and tactics to be very much the same.  I will say that the dealers seem to be more supportive now!!

Your question is a question that has been asked over and over.  Here is my take on buying a tub.

1.  You are considering purchasing a luxury item.  It is not something that everyone needs to have and it costs a lot of money, so to me it’s a luxury.  Like any luxury item, comes cost.  When I was considering a tub, I though around 5000.00, however, ended up spending 11,500 on a tub.  So honestly, although money is a huge factor, you need to be prepared to spend the money for a good quality tub.  Most quality brands are priced in similar price ranges.  A companies brand name tub will cost you, and there sister tub brand will cost you less.  

If you are looking at the big name tubs, 5000.00 is not going to happen for you.

2.  You can ask people what tub you should buy, but you are not going to get non bias answers.  What I mean by this is if you ask what’s a better tub to get between, let’s say Sundance and hot spring, you will get owners and dealers from both brands telling you what is better.  So in my opinion this question is ultimately not going to get you too far with helping you decide.

3.  Asking what is a better tub in terms of comfort is another terrible question to ask.  The reason I feel this way is because comfort is very personal.  What one person finds relaxing and therapeutic another person may not agree.  There are really two types of tubs out there in my opinion.  One is a therapeutic tub and the other is more of a 'party' tub.  A therapy tub has jets placed in special places, contoured seating designed to get your body to the jets etc etc.  A party tub to me is just a tub for friends and relaxing with little thought into therapy.

4. So what can you do???? The most important thing to do is the following.  Find as many dealers as you can.  Look at the tubs that appeal to you.  When you find a tub that looks nice and fits your needs, i.e. therapy requirement, ask the dealer for a wet test.  Jump in that tub and see how it feels.  The tub of your dreams, may feel awkward to you once you get in it with water.  So test each tub and brand that you like.  One company that you may have never considered may become the tub of your dreams.  Buying a hot tub can not be an impulsive decision, it is so important to really feel comfortable in the tub you own.  Some tubs make you float, other tubs may be too deep, and other tubs jets may feel strange on your body.

5. Educate yourself here by asking people about maintenance costs, electrical costs and longevity of the brand that you are looking into.  These are the questions that should be asked here.

6.  When you find a tub that you really love, check the BBB for the history of the dealer, ask the dealer for referrals from customers.

7.  Warranty!!!!!  This was a big issue recently for me.  Make sure that you know your warranty before you buy.  What someone tells you when buying may be different once you have paid.  

So that’s it, I will add to this if I think of more, because im sure that there is something that I have forgotten

Hope that this helps you a bit

wannabubble

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 06:49:36 pm »
Hey!!
Just wanted to say a big THANKS for all the info!!  
I will be wet testing this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Have a great day!!!

wannabubble

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 04:53:19 pm »
More help please.

I just stumbled upon a dynasty spa, Oceana.  I is beautiful, compact and sexy!  It seats 6 adults w/36jets and at &6995. very appealing.   Do you guys have opinion?  I surfed reviews & nothing either here nor there.  
It is at a store that did not know what a wet test was, but, is willing to let me in.
Have yet to inquire about warrenty, but I would love your opinion!!!

Thank you!!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:12:02 pm »
Clearwater spas has a new line with tubs in price range of $6000.00 now also (XS series tubs).

As was stated, the dealer you get is very important, I don't know much about Dynasty spas, but if the dealer never heard of wet testing, how long have they been in buisness? Do they know the tub and know it well beyond the marketing aspect of it. Find out these things.

Find a tub that works for you, is what you need, specially if you need it for therapy and read over the warrenty, question anything you don't understand and if they say something that is not in the warrenty such as "there will be no trip fees or fuel surcharges, have them write it in your purchase agreement.

Good luck and have fun. You have looked at a few very high quality tubs.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

wannabubble

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 06:22:57 pm »
Thank you all for the input!!  I have purchased, not rec'd, the Limelight from my local Hot Springs dealer.  Delivery is yet to be decided...so....I'm waiting.  
Thanks for your info and great advice!  I'm sure I'll be contacting you guys again with more questions.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 06:39:38 pm »
Congratulations!  The Limelights are really selling well.  Did you get the Flair?

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 09:02:46 pm »
Hey!!
Just wanted to say a big THANKS for all the info!!  
I will be wet testing this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Have a great day!!!

Welcome, I don't feel the need to add to much, as our forum members have come through ,as usual, with well qualified and good advice.  I will say now that you have posted, members here will be genuinely interested in what choice you made and why you made it along with any other observations on the way.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 09:02:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42