Original > Hot Tub Forum

EZ Pads vs Concrete slab

<< < (2/3) > >>

spa_newb:

--- Quote ---I have had my Marquis on an EZ PAD for over 5 years without a problem.  After you have done all your prep work you need to place it on a bed of construction sand not play sand.  Level it off with a long and straight 2x4 and then place it.  Alot of folks on this board swear by a concrete base and have little good to say about EZ Pads but in my case I have had no problems
--- End quote ---

Yeah I was gonna use that stuff they put under pavers, mason sand or whatever, pack it down tight.

So there are no objections to EZ pads out there???

getdave:
It is important to know the difference between EZ Pads and Handi pads. EZ Pads are assembled with screws, can be picked up and moved and do not shift when placing the hot tub. Handi pads snap together and often come apart when placing the spa. EZ Pads have a lifetime guarantee, Hndi Pads have a one year guarantee. Handi Pads are sold on ebay, Amazon and other websites, often showing up when you search for EZ Pads. Real EZ Pads are available only from http://ezpads.com . EZ Pads have a 100% satisfaction rate. When they were sold on eBay, a few years ago, there were over a hundred positive reviews and zero negative reviews. EZ Pads have been in service since 1999 with tens of thousands sold and installed, and there has never been a complaint about quality or failure.

Compatico:

--- Quote from: spa_newb on October 29, 2008, 01:51:05 pm ---Yeah I was gonna use that stuff they put under pavers, mason sand or whatever, pack it down tight.

--- End quote ---
I think EZ-Pads are overpriced pieces of plastic...just my opinion, but I'll explain why.

If your hot tub has a floor/base that allows placement on various types of pads like crushed rock, paver stones, or even on flat level grass or dirt, then you don't need these plastic pads at all. The base of the tub is already plastic and is built for the type of location mentioned. No need to put plastic under plastic for a base. If your hot tub floor/base requires a concrete pad or supported deck, then EZ-Pads are simply not needed because the location must be solid. EZ-Pads are not a replacement for concrete or even compacted crushed rock. It's like using 2x4's where 2x8's are required to carry the load per building code - it just isn't going to remain stable and level.

I have no problem with a company coming up with something special and making a lot of money on it - capitalism at its best. My concern is that some people may think they can use EZ-Pads on a very simple pad like non-compacted dirt with sod removed, and expect it to support the base like smooth level concrete. It just isn't going to happen and a failure of the tub structure or frame support is likely.

The Arctic spa we had came with an Everlast floor that made placement "easy". But the location still needed a flat stable surface. I pulled up the sod, leveled the dirt, put down gravel, compacted it, and layed concrete patio tiles for the base. The dealer thought that was overkill a bit, but I wanted a flat surface that wouldn't shift...and it wasn't even meant to be permanent as we expected to move within a few years. Now my current home is likely to be my last (unless we win the lottery!) so this time it'll be a reinforced concrete pad, even if the tub has an "everlast floor". I want it to last...forever.  ;D

Besides...there's nothing worse than going for a nice relaxing soak and finding you have a structural leak due to pad/base failure. Think about it...you have a tub that cost thousands of dollars and you want it to last for years - going cheap on a pad doesn't make sense. Keeping it inexpensive but solid is ok, just don't be CHEAP about it.  ;D

PS - it's been stormy today but the sky is clear tonight - wish I had a hot tub installed right now.  :o

Dr. Spa™ Ret.:

--- Quote from: Compatico on March 17, 2016, 12:03:11 am ---
--- Quote from: spa_newb on October 29, 2008, 01:51:05 pm ---Yeah I was gonna use that stuff they put under pavers, mason sand or whatever, pack it down tight.

--- End quote ---
I think EZ-Pads are overpriced pieces of plastic...just my opinion, but I'll explain why.

If your hot tub has a floor/base that allows placement on various types of pads like crushed rock, paver stones, or even on flat level grass or dirt, then you don't need these plastic pads at all. The base of the tub is already plastic and is built for the type of location mentioned. No need to put plastic under plastic for a base. If your hot tub floor/base requires a concrete pad or supported deck, then EZ-Pads are simply not needed because the location must be solid. EZ-Pads are not a replacement for concrete or even compacted crushed rock. It's like using 2x4's where 2x8's are required to carry the load per building code - it just isn't going to remain stable and level.

I have no problem with a company coming up with something special and making a lot of money on it - capitalism at its best. My concern is that some people may think they can use EZ-Pads on a very simple pad like non-compacted dirt with sod removed, and expect it to support the base like smooth level concrete. It just isn't going to happen and a failure of the tub structure or frame support is likely.

The Arctic spa we had came with an Everlast floor that made placement "easy". But the location still needed a flat stable surface. I pulled up the sod, leveled the dirt, put down gravel, compacted it, and layed concrete patio tiles for the base. The dealer thought that was overkill a bit, but I wanted a flat surface that wouldn't shift...and it wasn't even meant to be permanent as we expected to move within a few years. Now my current home is likely to be my last (unless we win the lottery!) so this time it'll be a reinforced concrete pad, even if the tub has an "everlast floor". I want it to last...forever.  ;D

Besides...there's nothing worse than going for a nice relaxing soak and finding you have a structural leak due to pad/base failure. Think about it...you have a tub that cost thousands of dollars and you want it to last for years - going cheap on a pad doesn't make sense. Keeping it inexpensive but solid is ok, just don't be CHEAP about it.  ;D

PS - it's been stormy today but the sky is clear tonight - wish I had a hot tub installed right now.  :o

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: getdave on March 16, 2016, 02:23:53 pm ---It is important to know the difference between EZ Pads and Handi pads. EZ Pads are assembled with screws, can be picked up and moved and do not shift when placing the hot tub. Handi pads snap together and often come apart when placing the spa. EZ Pads have a lifetime guarantee, Hndi Pads have a one year guarantee. Handi Pads are sold on ebay, Amazon and other websites, often showing up when you search for EZ Pads. Real EZ Pads are available only from http://ezpads.com . EZ Pads have a 100% satisfaction rate. When they were sold on eBay, a few years ago, there were over a hundred positive reviews and zero negative reviews. EZ Pads have been in service since 1999 with tens of thousands sold and installed, and there has never been a complaint about quality or failure.

--- End quote ---

And you are? The owner of  EZ Pads, of course.

Tman122:
Keeping your tub up and out of the dirt has advantages also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version