What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Initial Water Chemistry and N2  (Read 3450 times)

cedar tub

Initial Water Chemistry and N2
« on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:19 pm »
Hello All,
I have filled my tub with approx 488 gal of water.  I have adjusted my Alk up to around 90 and my pH is around 7.4.  CH is showing 30.  I've tested these using both Aquachek strips and a Taylor K2006 kit.  Jets are on, air is off and blower is off.  Is it OK to add the dichlor shock and N2 cart now or should I adjust CH?  BTW, the tub is up to 80F
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:30:56 pm by cedar_tub »
I've got wood and it's 5ft x 4ft

Hot Tub Forum

Initial Water Chemistry and N2
« on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:19 pm »

LStoner

Re: Initial Water Chemistry and N2
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 03:32:44 pm »
I'm no expert, but I think the N2 directions state to balance the water completely before inserting the cartridge and adding the dichlor to activate it. I believe the directions state to have the CH between 200-400. Have fun!

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 05:50:13 pm »
Also, does anyone know when to use a "stain and scale" type of product with N2?

I emailed the N2 customer support, and they just said, "go by the recipe"

The recipe doesn't talk about stain inhibitors.  Our water here is very hard, so I'm going to have problems if I don't use some type of mineral inhibitor.

Thoughts??

cedar tub

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:58:24 pm »
The N2 manual says to get the CH up to 200-400ppm.  I believe a stain and scale inhibitor removes calcium...correct?
I've got wood and it's 5ft x 4ft

LStoner

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 03:02:49 pm »
I use the stain and scale once a week when I do my maintenance chemicals. It doesn't seem to alter my CH when only using an ounce once a week. My dealer keeps telling me to use it more to bring my calcium down, which is at around 260. I just say okay and then don't do it because I know better that the N2 directions want the calcium higher than what my dealer's computer wants it at. My dealer gives me a lot of directions that I just alter as needed. I've learned more on this board than from them.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 03:54:11 pm »
Stain and scale products, such as LeisureTime Defender, protects pumps, heater, etc from scale which comes from calcium and water chemistry.  These products will not lower calcium hardness.  The only way accomplish that is to dilute with lower calcium water.  There should be no issue with a stain and scale product and N2.

Metal removers or sequestering products such as LeisureTime Metal Gon is a product that should not be used with N2 according to some.

I personally like to keep my CH at 100-150.  I don't see the need to bring it to 200-400 unless you have a concrete spa.

LStoner

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »
I personally like to keep my CH at 100-150.  I don't see the need to bring it to 200-400 unless you have a concrete spa.

Really? Cool. As long as it's okay with N2, I'll remember that. I was just going by the directions, but to hear from somebody else's experience and know their water is fine makes me feel okay to do the same. I'd rather have my lower to, honestly. Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42