What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa chemicals destroy decking screws  (Read 2755 times)

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
Spa chemicals destroy decking screws
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »
I've had my spa for almost 3 years now. It was placed on a new pressure treated deck. I used the green-coated decking screws. One week ago I decided to remove the spa from the deck platform and replace the deck with a solid cement platform 8' X 8' X 15" high. As I was unscrewing the deck to make it easier to dismantle...I noticed all the deck screws around the spa (which were exposed to the chlorine), were all deteriorating/corroding. Some of the screws snapped at the center of the threads and with others the head snapped off. The threads were very corroded. The screws that were under the spa (protected from the elements) were perfectly fine.
I definitely believe that it's a combination of the elements.

Anyone else notice this?

Hot Tub Forum

Spa chemicals destroy decking screws
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »

gwstudios

Re: Spa chemicals destroy decking screws
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 06:35:17 pm »
I have noticed that pure copper will actually start to foam the hot tub water that touches it right before your eyes and begin to release minute amounts smoke / steam from the chemical process.

I don't think a penny will work as it's a zinc / copper mix but you could try it anyways.

My deck screws are the wood colored ones but don't seem to be affected at all by the spa water. It may be the coating that causes them to start corroding.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 01:17:21 pm »
"I noticed all the deck screws around the spa (which were exposed to the chlorine),
were all deteriorating/corroding"

OMG....whats it doing to our bodies!   :o

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 04:32:33 pm »
Causing cancer like the dyhydra-monoxide is :o ;)
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:44:09 am »
My cousin works for a lumberyard, and was talking this summer how green treated wood has changed.  It no longer has arsenic in it.  However, he warned that you MUST use stainless steel screws or triple coated screws.  He is seeing newer decks falling apart because the wrong kind of screws were used.  He said it doesn't take very long at all for the incorrect screws to deteriorate in green treated wood.   I highly doubt it's from the chlorine.  If it were, there would be many people on this board having similar problems...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:44:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42