What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HEAVY calcium build up  (Read 11950 times)

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
HEAVY calcium build up
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:12:46 pm »
My boss has just moved in to a new house with a hottub. The previous owner neglected the water and as a result an incredible calcium build up occurred. The local dealer filled and flushed with Whirl-a-way and that helped a lot. The indentations around  the jets on the tub wall are encrusted with calcium and any where else there is grooves are also crusty. How can she get rid of the deposits short of using a chisel to scrape it away?.I need HELP
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:10:34 pm by bobhol »

Hot Tub Forum

HEAVY calcium build up
« on: October 01, 2008, 02:12:46 pm »

spagurl

Re: HEAVY calcium build up
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:56:22 pm »
I was told that if you lower your ph to a dangerously low level and then add the rinse as normal and run the jets for a couple of hours the water becomes highly acidic and will eat away the calcium. The water will look a horrible color but it works. YOu don't want to do this very often but in extreme cases it seems to do the trick.

Micah

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:21:32 pm »
There is a method that works perfectly.  [glow]However I do not recommend the homeowner doing this on his own. [/glow]  If you have ever heard of a swimming pool being "Acid Washed", That is done to remove stains and scale build up.  It the case of a spa, we do the same thing, sort of.  We use an acid base, mix in detergents, dilute with water and then scrub the spa shell.  Then we neutralize the acid, rinse out the tub and flush out the lines.  Refill and balance the ph and T/a right away.  We have "acid washed" spas for years.  There is no damage to the shell or the equipment as long as all the safeguards are taken.  The shell will look brand new.  
Keep in mind that not all shells should use this method.  This is not a "Do it yourself" job.  Get a pro!
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

zroger73

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 07:06:01 pm »
My boss has just moved in to a new house with a hottub. The previous owner neglected the water and as a result an incredible calcium build up occurred. The local dealer filled and flushed with Whirl-a-way and that helped a lot. The indentations around  the jets on the tub wall are encrusted with calcium and any where else there is grooves are also crusty. How can she get rid of the deposits short of using a chisel to scrape it away?.I need HELP

Scrape it all off and send it to me!  ;) I have to add two whole bottles of calcium increaser at each fill just to approach the correct levels.
2008 Hot Spring Sovereign II with Tri-X filters
Ozone, Nature2, and dichlor only

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:18:35 am »
I have used stain and scale control straight out of the bottle with a sponge and toothbrush and it also works well, just rinse it off really well.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:41:22 am »
I would buy a bottle of pool acid, cut it 50/50 with water, squirt in a good bit of dish soap and have at it. But I have all the tools and years of experience behind me.

You only have to rinse, no scrubbing or very little. I use a plastic water can with a sprinkler type head on it. As the acid runs down the wall it instantly removes all the calcium it touches. If it is stronger than 50/50 it will also take off any nasty chrome you might have.  I keep a hose connected to the (open) bottom drain on the spa and another hose running the whole time to immediately flush the acid out of the bottom as soon as it works it's way down. Rinse well before you fill, but don't worry if the pH is real low when you refill - that will help a bit cleaning out the plumbing. If you don't have a bottom drain, use a pump. If you don't have all this stuff, just hire it done - might be cheaper in the long run.

[size=18]A set of old clothes, eye protection and some way to absolutely not breath the fumes are a must. Add acid to the water, never add water to the acid.[/size][/color]

If you can't afford/borrow a gas mask (this is not a joke in any way) then at the very least put a strong fan or two in place to blow the fumes away as you work. The fumes can kill you, and even if they just sit around you they can irritate your eyes and skin.

HTH

8-)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 11:42:45 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:41:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42