What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Maax and Coleman Part Ways  (Read 11082 times)

Tom

Maax and Coleman Part Ways
« on: September 24, 2008, 04:04:20 pm »
The industry is certainly in a time of change.   According to a media release that crossed my desk today (dated September 22 ) from Terry Rake , VP and GM of MAAX Spas of Arizona, MAAX's products will no longer be sold under the Coleman brand.

"I must announce that after many years MAAX Spas will no longer be labelling its products with the Coleman Spas™ brand," wrote Rake.  

"Recently, the Coleman Licensing Group took the Coleman Spas license to a bid process..." and it seems that MAAX either didn't bid or lost their bid.

(Their explanation is that  "It was determined that the cost of 'renting' the brand did not justify the return on the sales floor any more.  It seems that consumers had a hard time making the jump from coolers and tents found at mass merchants to quality spas found at quality speciality retailers."   Remember Aesop's fable about the Fox and the grapes? When he couldn't reach them, he said, "They were probably sour anyway.")

MAAX will no doubt continue with their Elite, MAAX, and Nahanni brands, but the former Coleman line will need a new name... how about Aker, carrying over their new brand name for showers and bathtubs?   Hm, I'll go soak my aches in my Aker... maybe not.

And who did win the Coleman brand auction?   Tatum (Living Water/Gulf Coast).  http://www.newswire.ca/fr/releases/archive/September2008/24/c7987.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:34:52 pm by Graybeard »

Hot Tub Forum

Maax and Coleman Part Ways
« on: September 24, 2008, 04:04:20 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Maax and Coleman Part Ways
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 04:19:06 pm »
And who did win the Coleman brand auction?   Tatum (Living Water).  http://www.newswire.ca/fr/releases/archive/September2008/24/c7987.html

Dang it!!! >:(

Term (Outbid by $5!)
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:13:41 pm »

And who did win the Coleman brand auction?   Tatum (Living Water/Gulf Coast).  http://www.newswire.ca/fr/releases/archive/September2008/24/c7987.html

So now they have Coleman and LaZBoy? What's next, a Frigidaire spa? All Marketing, little substance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:14:45 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:39:40 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:48:52 pm »

So now they have Coleman and LaZBoy? What's next, a Frigidaire spa? All Marketing, little substance.

Pinical, TM, Gulf Coast, Garden Leisure and just about any other private label you want.

They mass produce junk under just about any name and forgo quality in the name of quantity.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:33:09 am by stuart »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:47:02 pm »
From what I am reading from the statement it sounds like Maxx is belittling the value of a name they have now lost. I think this also points to what many have said here all along that names like Coleman, Lazy-boy are just licensing agreements but have no genuine ties other than the name of the company that most people know and place value upon...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:15:16 pm by Mendocino101 »

Tom

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:15:08 am »
One thing that I haven't picked up from the media releases concerns the dealer network.    

The dealers who used to carry Coleman brand spas from MAAX - will they continue to carry the same spas under the new MAAX brand?  Will they continue to carry the Coleman brand, new spas now made by Living Waters?   Will they have the option of choosing?

How will this affect consumers, who do to some extent rely on branding as a guide to product identity, quality, and consistency?    From this point on, if a poster says, "I have a Coleman spa..." we'll have to ask, "The MAAX Coleman or the Living Waters Coleman?"   :-?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »
One thing that I haven't picked up from the media releases concerns the dealer network.    

The dealers who used to carry Coleman brand spas from MAAX - will they continue to carry the same spas under the new MAAX brand?  Will they continue to carry the Coleman brand, new spas now made by Living Waters?   Will they have the option of choosing?

How will this affect consumers, who do to some extent rely on branding as a guide to product identity, quality, and consistency?    From this point on, if a poster says, "I have a Coleman spa..." we'll have to ask, "The MAAX Coleman or the Living Waters Coleman?"   :-?
Since the dealers are independent businesses, I am sure they will be able to make their own decisions.  Those who have bought into the Coleman story will have a hard time.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 12:44:53 pm »
Since the dealers are independent businesses, I am sure they will be able to make their own decisions.  Those who have bought into the Coleman story will have a hard time.

I'm one who thinks they've used the Coleman name pretty well to sell their spas and the effectively of their insulation method. I can't imagine those dealers affected are too happy their product name goes from Coleman to Maax and wonder if there will be fallout.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:46:25 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 12:45:01 pm »
"Great names debase instead of elevating those who do not know how to sustain them."

La Rochefoucauld

He also said

"Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it. "

that's good advice for Tatum....

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 01:09:51 pm »
"There's more in the middle of an Egg McMuffin than an egg in the middle of a muffin."

"Choosy cheese choosers always say 'Cheese please' when they choose the cheese in a cheeseburger at McDonald's."

"Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun."

Some of my favorites.

Term
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:10:12 pm by East_TX_Spa »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 11:39:22 am »
Wow Term! What a philosopher!! I’ll bet when someone quotes Emerson down there in TX everyone comments on how great he was when he sang "Lucky Man" with Lake and Palmer!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 12:18:17 pm »
Asinus asinum fricat! ;)

Termasinus the Elder

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »
Hey I was just thinking...What does the dealership agreement say concerning Coleman? Any dealers want to share?

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 12:58:52 pm »
Hi my name is Spahappy and I'm an alcoholic, oops sorry wrong forum. Seriously after this week I think I could become one. I've sold Coleman Spas for the last 15 years and just like the rest of you I wish I had some answers, but at this point I'm still in the dark. My Coleman/MAAX rep will be here on Monday and I'll share any news I get about this situation after that.
I do want to ask my fellow dealers on this forum to abstain from bending this situation in to a brand bashing party, whatever brand we are now. This news hit all Coleman dealers by complete surprise and I'm sure every one of us is in the same state of confusion.
With that being said, I still know where I want to hang my hat after 15 years. My loyalty is with a product that I've come to know inside and out, and that product has been made by MAAX Spas since 1998.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 12:58:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42