What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Viking spa  (Read 3808 times)

rick_in_cleveland

Viking spa
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:48:55 pm »
A friend at work is planning to put in an inground spa made by Viking.  It is fiberglass and goes in the ground with concrete around it.  The pipes run under ground and into the basement where the pumps are.  The cover is a tarp that hooks by grommets across the top.   Seems like in California it might work but in Cleveland the heat loss and cost would be huge.  Anyone have experience with this type of spa.  For $12000 it seems a little much.  

Hot Tub Forum

Viking spa
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:48:55 pm »

rick_in_cleveland

Re: Viking spa
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:36:25 am »
Since nobody is responding, here is the site
http://www.vikingpools.net/spas.php

BubbaGump

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:09:28 pm »
Interesting.  Some look nice, but I am interested in knowing if this is the cost for the product, or is that fully installed?  I dont work in the industry but I would imagine that a cover for that would be very important in your climate...

Looks more like a standard gunnite spa that a pool builder would construct.  Not much on the therapy side I would imagine.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 12:54:07 pm »
The $12000 quote is installed and landscaped.    From where I sit it looks like the heat loss and heating bill would be astronomical

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:19:33 pm »
The $12000 quote is installed and landscaped.    From where I sit it looks like the heat loss and heating bill would be astronomical

Wouldn't that 12" blanket of snow act like an insulator from the wind?

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 12:12:37 am »
I'm not sure about the energy usage.  Wouldn't you just be hooking this up to a gas heater?  If that is the case, then you probably wouldn't need to keep it hot all the time - just warm enough to keep it from freezing.  I assume your builder is from Cleveland, so he should know how to build the thing to keep it from freezing.  

If you are going to use a gas heater, and that is the only type of heater I'd use on a spa like this, just get a 150K gas heater and you should be able to heat the thing pretty quickly.  You might even go to a 250K heater just to be sure since Cleveland gets so cold.

I can vouch for the quality of product from Viking.  Viking does build very good quality products.  There is a Viking Spas company as well.  They are not related as far as I know.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:14:43 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 12:12:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42