What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ike Hits Ohio  (Read 7516 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Ike Hits Ohio
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:44:54 am »
Bonnibille,  you might be in charge for awhile.  It was only the outer edge of Ike, but we had 70+  winds for several hours yesterday.  We drove around town yesterday and saw lots of damage.  Our power is out and may not be back for a week.  There is over 300,000 houses without power in this area.

We had minimal damage, but we can see a lot of people not so lucky nearby. Remember I mentioned how my neighbor wasn't  happy when I had a branch from her tree ,that was over our tub?  She lost two major branches from that tree and fortunately for her insurance company they don't owe me a new tub.  

Both my work and my wife's work is closed today. Don't know for how long. Restaurants around here are packed. Half the places and gas stations are closed, along with a lot of traffic lights.

We were only on the fringe of this storm!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 10:45:41 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Ike Hits Ohio
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:44:54 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Ike Hits Ohio
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:00:36 pm »
As this storm was forming out over Cuba and the news began reporting on it's guestimated track, I remember thinking how glad I was that it would miss Florida where my daughter is going to school. But as with any storm of this nature, there is NO good area for it to make landfall, nor any good place for it to hit.

I am sure glad that I haven't heard from anyone I know who has had major loss from this storm, but our thoughts and prayers are still with those thousands of families who have.  :-/

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:49:23 pm »
Bonnibille,  you might be in charge for awhile.  It was only the outer edge of Ike, but we had 70+  winds for several hours yesterday.  We drove around town yesterday and saw lots of damage.  Our power is out and may not be back for a week.  There is over 300,000 houses without power in this area.

We had minimal damage, but we can see a lot of people not so lucky nearby. Remember I mentioned how my neighbor wasn't  happy when I had a branch from her tree ,that was over our tub?  She lost two major branches from that tree and fortunately for her insurance company they don't owe me a new tub.  

Both my work and my wife's work is closed today. Don't know for how long. Restaurants around here are packed. Half the places and gas stations are closed, along with a lot of traffic lights.

Maybe it's a good thing you haven't replaced that spa cover yet!

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:14:57 pm »
We had 60 MPG here and for only the second time I hooked my cover hooks

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:04:26 pm »
Glad you are safe Bill. I have been through several hurricanes when I lived on the eastern shore of Delaware, so I understand the level of damage you are talking about. I bet your neighbor is counting her blessings that you took that branch down.

It looks like the tropics are calm right now, so maybe folks can begin to recover.

Don't worry about your forum, everyone will behave just fine ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 06:30:38 pm »
Maybe it's a good thing you haven't replaced that spa cover yet!

It was, the cover did snap over to be have open, pulling out the receptable and ripping at the seams along with breaking the lifter.  No work.  Honeywell, in its wisdom doesn't have a number to call as they are "always open  ::) )   Tomorrow, I'll call in before I leave as the phones are on a fast busy while they are down.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 06:32:28 pm »
We had 60 MPG here and for only the second time I hooked my cover hooks

I didn't think we needed hurricane straps here in Ohio.  Franklin county has the most power outages in the entire state. At least there is one thing in Columbus that is #1  :'(

gwstudios

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 06:46:31 pm »
Cook County in Illinois (where I live) has been declared a disaster area. It's pretty bad here too. We happen to live at one of the highest points in town. Everything is downhill from us.

The front of the houses across the street from me are full six feet lower than mine according to the geodetic survey maps. They have water above the foundation, which means thier entire basement and the floors of the first level are submerged. Some nieghborhoods are lakes with water so high, you can't see the roofs of the cars.

We sit 130 feet above Lake Michigan and 700 feet above sea level.

We are extremely lucky to have built where we did. I couldn't imagine what I would do or how I would feel if my house was flooded like that. Our sumps are working constantly but not one drop has made it's way into the foundation or above the sump wells.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:48:18 pm by gwstudios »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 07:02:10 pm »
Believe it or not 60 mph winds are not uncommon here in southern colorado....We seen 300 year old trees blown over and buildings destroyed in the last few years.

Through it all I still haven't put the cover clips on my Marquis....It does set down on a lower deck with privacy fence on 2 sides however, everything else on the deck has blown around.

I think it has a lot to do with the extra large sweeping corners and the splash gaurd coping instead of a flat lip...that's the only thing that makes sense on it to me.

Hurricane straps are great and we sell a lot of them out here.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 09:10:05 pm »
Remember I mentioned how my neighbor wasn't  happy when I had a branch from her tree ,that was over our tub?  She lost two major branches from that tree and fortunately for her insurance company they don't owe me a new tub.  

A friend of mine had a tree blow over and damage a neighbor's pool and fence. His insurance company told him it wasn't his problem.

I think it's perfectly fine if something is overhanging into our yard to cut it out. You shoud see how I handle my neighbor's brush that comes through the fence!

torchbabe

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 09:43:10 pm »
60 to 70 mph straight gusts can cause some damage, its the 100+ sustained winds for hour after hour that really cause damage.  Thanks south florida :P

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 12:55:21 pm »
Work opened at 1pm today, though our phone system is still out  :)  I cna get caught up on paperwork before the masses start calling in. Still no power at home, hopeing for tomorrow. I went ahead and drained the tub, will refill at the first sign of the power.  EVeryone two blocks away from us has power.  The press has been telling everyone to treat intersections like 4 way stop signs.  Its amazing how many people don't have a clue what that means.  Been sleeping with the windows open and I hear sirens all night.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 09:27:55 pm »
After 77 hours, I have power!  I used the evening light tonight to do the annual scrubbing of the tub and am refilling tonight.  I'll soak tomorrow, ending a 4 day dry spell (pun intended)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 10:46:37 pm »
Glad everything is getting back to normal.  How did things inside your house survive? I lost power from a tornado about 10 years ago. We had no electric for a week and everything in my freezer and refrigerator went bad in spite of my daily runs for dry ice. What a mess!!  :P
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 10:37:33 am »
Glad everything is getting back to normal.  How did things inside your house survive? I lost power from a tornado about 10 years ago. We had no electric for a week and everything in my freezer and refrigerator went bad in spite of my daily runs for dry ice. What a mess!!  :P

We lost everything in the firdge/Freezer and another freezer.  There was a rush on ice and it was very hard to find.  We hadn't shopped in a week, so there wasnt a lot there.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 10:37:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42