What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Blanket Review-Part Deux:Dr. Spa's Binky  (Read 10831 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Spa Blanket Review-Part Deux:Dr. Spa's Binky
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:43:35 pm »
If you all recall, the first spa blanket I bought lasted about 40 days before my ozone ate a baseball size hole through it.  The original post is here:  http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1204674327

Dr. Spa was true to his word and sent me one of his Spa Blankets.  Right off, I realized that it was a much different product.  Cutting it to fit my spa was a bit more difficult than the first one due to the fact that it is substantially thicker and denser than the first one.  

So far, I like it much better than the first blanket.  About 40 days in, and it has shown no bad effects from the "extreme potency" of my ozonator (ruff-ruff!) and it stays in place even with all the jets running.  No more bunching up when running the "clean-up" cycle.  

Initially, I was hesitant about handling the thicker blanket when getting in and out of the tub, but, the new blanket is actually easier to handle since it is thicker and more rigid than the first one.  I open the cover and just drape the blanket over the cover.  Since it is thicker, I have not had a problem with the wind blowing it around either.  I can't really tell if it saves energy, but since my cover drains a lot less water when I first open the tub, I assume it is protecting the cover and insulating the tub as well.

So, two thumbs up so far!  I highly recommend this blanket, especially if you do not have an ozonator.  Since I do have an ozonator (which ate the first one) I will keep an eye on it and let everyone know how it's going down the road.

Here's a pic of the new blanket in place:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:44:28 pm by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Blanket Review-Part Deux:Dr. Spa's Binky
« on: April 15, 2008, 07:43:35 pm »

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
Re: Spa Blanket Review-Part Deux:Dr. Spa's Binky
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 09:06:12 pm »
Now, since spa blankets are something I don't see talked about anywhere, could you please explain what a spa blanket is/does and what the general concept behind it is, and how the ozonator can damage a spa blanket as well.  Also, what is the general price range for one of these??  Would these be ESPECIALLY recommended for odd-shaped spas, like ones with higher backs and ones with stereo speakers (thereby adding insulation to the cover??)

Thanks--

CHrisi :)
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:14:22 pm »
I've never seen one like that. Looks cool. It looks like rubber...is it made out of recycled tires and does it smell like burnt rubber when you open your cover? ;)

Chrisi; a blanket will help make the spa more efficient, protect the underside of the main cover against ozone and other gases that can prematurely wear the bottom of the cover, trap your chemicals so they don't dicipate as quickly and help eliminate evaporation.

Price will depend on whether or not they used Pirelli's, Mastercraft or Goodyear's... ;D

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:26:05 pm »
I've never seen one like that. Looks cool. It looks like rubber...is it made out of recycled tires and does it smell like burnt rubber when you open your cover? ;)

Chrisi; a blanket will help make the spa more efficient, protect the underside of the main cover against ozone and other gases that can prematurely wear the bottom of the cover, trap your chemicals so they don't dicipate as quickly and help eliminate evaporation.

Price will depend on whether or not they used Pirelli's, Mastercraft or Goodyear's... ;D

I've got the same blanket from Doc.  Its 1/4" foam and doesn't smell ;).  Cost is around $50 for six foot to $80 for eight foot.

wewannahottub

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 10:31:41 pm »

I have some Sport Kings about ready to fall off my Durango--maybe I can use them!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the info.  I guess some of these would smell then??

It sounds as well like a wise investement, and maybe can extend the life of the cover, especially for the odd-shaped tubs!!

Chrisi ;D

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:27:19 pm »
So the question that comes to my mind is why don't cover manufacturers use a solid piece of plastic on the bottom of the covers to prevent the damage to the vinyl?
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Spatini

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 11:34:38 pm »
So the question that comes to my mind is why don't cover manufacturers use a solid piece of plastic on the bottom of the covers to prevent the damage to the vinyl?
maybe $$$$$$ ????

Spatini

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 11:42:04 pm »
Doc,
 how can i get one for the J-480 I will be getting soon ?

wewannahottub

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:46:35 pm »
Wayyy coool Junior!!!!  hahaha ;D ;D ;D (junior member--spatini !!!)

wewannahottub

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 11:54:03 pm »
spatini--

I hope this link will work-------
Roberts Hot Tubs

If not= and it probably won't--you can go to Dr Spa under the members and click a link on his profile for Roberts Hot tubs.  

BTW, Doc, nice website!!!  Nice accessories!! ;)

Chrisi

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 08:36:07 am »
Ask and ye shall receive... 8-)

Doc's Spa Blankets
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 11:08:17 am »
Rich, glad to hear it's working (ok, so I was holding my breath a bit, unsure how your extreme ozone might effect it  ;)  )

wewa, there's no relevance as to the shape of the spa. A floating blanket mostly protects the more expensive hard insulating cover. The natural off-gassing of chemicals from the water slowly break down the cover and then evaporating steam will penetrate into it. The floating blanket slows the off-gassing and also reduces the amount of steam contacting the the insulating cover.

Some make a strong claim that the floating blanket adds as much as R-10 worth of insulation value, but personally I've never seen any studies or test results. While I do believe it adds to the overall insulation value (the hard insulating cover + floating blanket), I haven't a clue as to how much it adds....and I'm a bit skeptical as to the R-10

Bottom line though, they will DEFINITELY extend the life of the main insulating cover

steve, frozen tundra boy, rubber? *sigh*.... They're made of a 1/4" thick, 2 Lb. density, polyethylene closed cell foam. Actually, your response to wewa is exactly correct (there'll be a lil something extra in your paycheck next week  ::)  )

Swell, The bottom of the insulating cover can't be solid material, and needs to have a drain hole to let condensation and rain water that gets in through the top stitching escape (also letting off-gassing chemicals in). Without the drain hole, the cover would quickly fill with water.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 11:52:00 am »
Swell, The bottom of the insulating cover can't be solid material, and needs to have a drain hole to let condensation and rain water that gets in through the top stitching escape (also letting off-gassing chemicals in). Without the drain hole, the cover would quickly fill with water.

How does the aluminum spa covers work that Dr. Spa sells?

2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 12:23:10 am »
And they do not smell like old tires, new tires, or anything rubber.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 10:57:54 am »
UPDATE - ABOUT 7 MONTHS LATER:

Hi all.  I haven't been around much lately, but I wanted to provide an update on the performance of the spa blanket I received from from Dr. Spa last March.

I'm now about 7 months in and the blanket has held up very well.  The ozonator has had some increased effect on the area just above the bubbler in the center of the tub, but as of now, the blanket is still completely usable.  I do realize that the ultimate failure of the product will be due to the ozonator's effect.  I have posted a pic below which shows the area of concern.

IMO, some thought might be given to how to protect that area of the blanket from the direct effect of the ozonated water.  Possibly a "patch" over the area using a material that doesn't degrade with ozone??    

Otherwise the blanket is a good product.  As far as I can tell, it handles the dichlor very well.  Easy to handle. Never a problem putting it on or taking it off the tub.  I just drape it over the half opened cover and it rides back with the cover.  If you do not have an ozonator, this blanket should last several years.

If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 10:57:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42