What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Blanket Review-Part Deux:Dr. Spa's Binky  (Read 10829 times)

Swell-Tub

• Scott
Re: Spa Blanket Review-Part Deux:Dr. Spa's Binky
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »
Mine looks like the picture above. It has a white cloud in the middle. I used mine all summer while temps were as high as 115 degrees. For me it helped with evaporation. I hardly add water like I did without it. I cut it out around the water line and put the seam over the filter area. Idea was that seam would maintain a bridge over the water going into the filter from the circ pump. Anyway they are easy to put on and take off and I think they save money. I very happy with mine....

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 10:33:52 am »
I would like to hear from Doc on this -

I had a huge cover for a twenty by forty foot swimming pool. It was most likely this same material - but thicker. I had a big reel to roll it off the pool, and it was quite heavy when it was on the roller.  We tore it once by not handling it correctly, and the folks who sold it to us came over and put a patch on it with a bit of scrap material we had left over. They used a small propane torch to heat it to just melt the surface of both the cover and the patch, and then pressed the patch in place. It worked for whatever number of years we had it after that point. In fact they said that their method was based on the technique used in the factory to create seams, just on a smaller scale, and we noticed that all the doublers they had installed around the straps and such looked to have been installed in the same way.

I suggest this because if the ozone ever does eat through, you might be able to patch it if you saved some of the 'trimmins.'  Or, you might want to add a bit over the spot the ozone hits it now, to prevent burn through. You could sure practice on some scrap material if you have any left over.

Thoughts? Ideas? Predictions on the weather?

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 10:44:19 am »
The ability to patch that area would be great since, otherwise, the blanket is holding up very well.  I did save the trimmings so I would love to hear about the best way to do this from the Doc if it is possible.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 01:42:42 pm »
Man, you guys are asking for trade secrets here  ;D

There's no tape or glue that will stick to the foam. Heat is the only way we've found for attaching it. A commercial heat gun or propane torch works well. The machine we use for seaming the two halves uses a propane torch and seams together 440' lengths of foam, cutting it into proper lengths as it comes out.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 01:42:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42